Automatically start MP fullscreen on secondary display (1 Viewer)

Jazkal

May 20, 2006
I'm running RC4 with mp_start on my secondary display, and I'm only seeing about 24% CPU utilization. And this is playing xvid videos with no degradation.

bored

Portal Member
March 7, 2006
just updated MP... mp_start doesnt really work anymore

now i am using MP 0.2.0.4

and mp_start doesnt work anymore, can i make any changes to make it run, or has the start-program to be changed?

dhannema

Portal Member
January 4, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Re: just updated MP... mp_start doesnt really work anymore

bored said:
now i am using MP 0.2.0.4

and mp_start doesnt work anymore, can i make any changes to make it run, or has the start-program to be changed?

For some reason they removed the possibility to change the display to the secondary screen, because the "Device Setup" dialog is now gone :s

Also see this thread with a fix for this: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=17605

I'm working to find a way around this and I have no idea why they did that... Currently the best I get is around 13 fps :(
Maybe it's because the programmers feel it's not officially supported:

mPod said:
Just mentioning the same as in many other posts: Only primary screen is supported in MP due to lack of DirectX acceleration on secondary screen. So your CPU has to do all the rendering usually your graphics card does. The result is a very high CPU usage. MediaPortal is not the only application suffering from this, by the way. Google around a bit if you want to see that some other HTPC apps that also use the way like MP renders GUI and video also behave exactly the same.

The tool in this thread can't help there, it just moves MP to the secondary screen and can lead to some unwanted and unexpected behaviour. Thus it is not officially supported.

I think that they really don't understand that this tool really solves the problem.
Perhaps we should petition to put the functionality in MP again. Even better they should put a configuration option in MP to automatically select the secondary device as the primary one. This way this tool doesn't even have to be used anymore !

orestes

Portal Member
August 23, 2006
Australia
this sucks.... I was looking for a way to automaticly launch media portal so I could launch it on my second monitor using my remote

Jazkal

May 20, 2006
Looks like I'll be sticking with my current version, sucks that they have to lock this feature out of the newer builds (shouldn't cost them anything to leave it).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    However I have found that running in any mode other than single display mode on nvidia cards has a negative effect on the video, be it dual display or clone so run in single display and flick between tv/projector.

If you look at the Nvidia driver release notes you see that they are not recomending running MCE in clone etc. modes.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Set your tv as primery display in nv. drivers and then backt, but it not good solution i think ... and probably you too. :)

This works for me and will be very useful as the computer I have MediaPortal installed on is for both desktop (web browsing) and media use. I will see if I can write a script for it such as AutoIT. I downloaded the scripting manual from NVIDIA. Google for it using 'nvidia nvcpl site:.pdf'

dcope

Portal Member
    September 7, 2006
    Hello been following these treads to get something simlar, i wanted my main monitor to switch off when media portal was running, ive found you can do it without depending on media portal, if your an Nvidia user.

First enable Nview options, create a bat file with the following

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,NvCycleDisplayDevice
    [your path to]\MediaPortal.exe"
    rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,NvCycleDisplayDevice

and save to to a file e.g mptvstart.bat and then either call the bat direct or create a shortcut to run it minimised.

this will then swap your display to your tv and run media portal, when you exit it will swap you back to your main monitor.

Hope this helps a few ppl, finally feel i can contribute a little back after all the things ive borrowed of you fine ppl:)

Dcope

bored

Portal Member
    March 7, 2006
    I think that they really don't understand that this tool really solves the problem.
    Perhaps we should petition to put the functionality in MP again. Even better they should put a configuration option in MP to automatically select the secondary device as the primary one. This way this tool doesn't even have to be used anymore !

that really sucks, your program was the main reason for me to use mediaportal...
    i wanna have to stick to the old versions, to use it on my secondary screen...

sad thing, mp should think to use your program as a part of itself...

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Set your tv as primery display in nv. drivers and then backt, but it not good solution i think ... and probably you too. :)

This works for me and will be very useful as the computer I have MediaPortal installed on is for both desktop (web browsing) and media use. I will see if I can write a script for it such as AutoIT. I downloaded the scripting manual from NVIDIA. Google for it using 'nvidia nvcpl site:.pdf'

Quoting from my own post, I now have a solution to get MP to start on the secondary display via an AutoIT script and nView profiles. However, it needs to be documented before I can post the script as the procedure is not straightforward. I am going to write a MediaPortal tips page on my site in the near future so that I can share my ideas with others. I will notify you once my page is online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom