Automatically Tune to Strongest Duplicate Channel (1 Viewer)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi @framug, @CyberSimian, @ajs,

One solution approximation is available in this thread at least.

Is it sensible to drop this idea and mark it experimental in case anyone does want try it ?
    The problem is that, you will have to upgrade your code each time, "official" MP code will be modified (same classes).
    For me, for the moment, I didn't see your modified code with a switch for no impact for others users.
    Also, what would be weird is why your code should be integrated where mine was not, even with switches ? (but more "critical" because, scanning was not the only part, timeshifting/playing and recording 'ie real time' was also impacted).

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The problem is that, you will have to upgrade your code each time, "official" MP code will be modified (same classes).
    For me, for the moment, I didn't see your modified code with a switch for no impact for others users.
    Also, what would be weird is why your code should be integrated where mine was not, even with switches ? (but more "critical" because, scanning was not the only part, timeshifting/playing and recording 'ie real time' was also impacted).
    Some very salient points @framug.

I am happy to collaborate for a solution that would keep everyone happy.
    But, it feels like this may have met a natural end.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    If this change works, and it can be turned on and off in the settings, and in the off state, this change does not lead to a deterioration in the functional, it has the right to life.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    If this change works, and it can be turned on and off in the settings, and in the off state, this change does not lead to a deterioration in the functional, it has the right to life.
    I don't wish to be a wet blanket, but I still think that the design of this proposed change is wrong:

(1) "Retain strongest duplicate" should not need to use a signal threshhold. If you are using a signal threshhold, then you have the wrong design. The right design is to compare the signal levels of the two MUXes so that you can discard the weaker. (You also need a setting to enable or disable this feature.)

(2) "Omit weak MUXes" does use a signal level threshhold, but it should be speciable by the user, and it should not eliminate duplicates.

See my earlier post in this thread.

Although this is true in principle, "TV Server" is changing very little (if at all) from one release to the next. So if @vapourEyes 's modified DLL(s) won't work as is, a simple recompile should be all that is needed (not complicated remerging of his changes with changes originating from others). But you probably know more about this than I do. o_O

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    I don't wish to be a wet blanket, but I still think that the design of this proposed change is wrong:

(1) "Retain strongest duplicate" should not need to use a signal threshhold. If you are using a signal threshhold, then you have the wrong design. The right design is to compare the signal levels of the two MUXes so that you can discard the weaker. (You also need a setting to enable or disable this feature.)

(2) "Omit weak MUXes" does use a signal level threshhold, but it should be speciable by the user, and it should not eliminate duplicates.

See my earlier post in this thread.

Apologies @CyberSimian, I did not address this earlier.

There is a reason I ended up with a threshold.
    There may be channels on MUX-a - that are not on MUX-b, so I don't want to ignore the weaker MUX. I try not to include channels are likely too weak to display, from any MUX.

BUT... I agree with you. A fuller implementation should store strength per-channel, ejecting weaker channels in the face of a new stronger channel.
    BUT... I would also like ALL channels good enough to display, from any MUX.

I hope that answers it better.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    "TV Server" is changing very little (if at all) from one release to the next.
    It change a little sometimes.
    For example, the xmltv plugin, for duplicate...
    I hope it will also change for colors in TVGuide in next release. :)
    And, when I will be less lazy, maybe for grabbing EPG with the lowest tuner instead of the hightest priority one ? ;)
    But you are true, theses modiications doesn't impact many classes then, it would be easy and fast to maintain it.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    There may be channels on MUX-a - that are not on MUX-b, so I don't want to ignore the weaker MUX.
    I agree with this.

"BBC1 SD" and "ITV1" have regional content (perhaps one or two other channels also). If you live on the border between two regions, you might be able to receive both variants (e.g. "BBC1 South" and "BBC1 East"), and you might want to have both variants in your EPG. Since all channels in a MUX have the same signal strength, it does not matter whether you compare the MUX signal strength, or the channel signal strength. However...

You still don't need a fixed threshhold during scanning when checking for duplicates. Example: if both MUXes contain "BBC2 SD", you retain the stronger channel and discard the weaker channel ("BBC2 SD" has no regional content).

Rejecting weak channels is a separate capability, and I don't think that the the two capabilities should be mixed up in the implementation. You need an enable/disable setting in "TV Server Config" for discarding duplicates, and a threshhold for rejecting weak channels. These are separate settings that should have separate action during the scan.

I should say that I am not familiar with the internals of TV Server, so I don't know how easy it would be to implement what I consider to be the "correct" design. o_O

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    I agree with this.

"BBC1 SD" and "ITV1" have regional content (perhaps one or two other channels also). If you live on the border between two regions, you might be able to receive both variants (e.g. "BBC1 South" and "BBC1 East"), and you might want to have both variants in your EPG. Since all channels in a MUX have the same signal strength, it does not matter whether you compare the MUX signal strength, or the channel signal strength. However...

You still don't need a fixed threshhold during scanning when checking for duplicates. Example: if both MUXes contain "BBC2 SD", you retain the stronger channel and discard the weaker channel ("BBC2 SD" has no regional content).

Rejecting weak channels is a separate capability, and I don't think that the the two capabilities should be mixed up in the implementation. You need an enable/disable setting in "TV Server Config" for discarding duplicates, and a threshhold for rejecting weak channels. These are separate settings that should have separate action during the scan.

I should say that I am not familiar with the internals of TV Server, so I don't know how easy it would be to implement what I consider to be the "correct" design. o_O

@CyberSimian, Thank you.

I can drop the idea of filtering out the weakest.

I think I can rid myself of the pesky threshold IFF I can store strength per-channel for the comparator. This would then mean that the Channel object has a strength field or something similar.

Then I just accept all channels (maybe excluding 'unknown') and allow the strongest through when duplicates occur.

This would then need 2 switches:
    1... Enable / Disable Smart Tune (or something)
    2....Card Bias +ve or -ve - caters for different strength reporting in cards. See above.

That then gives a global solution ?

Last edited:

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think I can rid myself of the pesky threshold IFF I can store strength per-channel for the comparator. This would then mean that the Channel object has a strength field or something similar.

Please,take a look at the red rectangle, it's possible to have signal for channel. ;)

zz1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom