Bass player with ASIO support? (2 Viewers)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I spoke a little too soon. It works, but no visualisation, I guess because the sound isn't travelling through the windows mixer. Sad, but I still prefer the sound :)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You should get visualisations.
    it works definitely, because i'm cloning the stream just for visualisation.
    double checked at my side and works ok.

you must get some error. please post the log.

gommer

Portal Member
    October 7, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Well, YES. Pretty much :) it also depends on whether you digitally connect to an external amp. If you do, you'll need digital outs that do 44.1. CMedia 878 chips are in a lot of cheap soundcard devices, and they do.
    Fine, that's the part i do know, i'll be using my self brewed external (USB) DAC.

Ah, kernel streaming from within MP. THANK YOU VERY MUCH (sorry for shouting, i'm excited :oops: )

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    I do believe that bit-perfect audio is possible with DirectSound as well if you:
    1. Do not playback different streams of different rates at the same time (in that case, depending on your card, either kmixer or the soundcard hardware will resample every stream to 48kHz, then do mixing, then do D/A conversion).

2. Select "24bit" as the signal path, as evidently Microsoft is doing a slight alteration to the audio in order to do efficient processing on intel x86. For "non-audio" streams this is not a problem, but for audio streams there will be a measurable (but possibily not perceptible) change. Problem is, dts-audio on eg CD is usually flagged as regular audio, meaning that the windows framework is fooled.

I think it is great that ASIO is included in MP, but I think that the audible effects of bit-perfect playback is exaggerrated (except for dts), and the methods commonly used for obtaining bit-perfction may be over-kill.

regards
    knut

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    You should get visualisations.
    it works definitely, because i'm cloning the stream just for visualisation.
    double checked at my side and works ok.

you must get some error. please post the log.

No error in the log, and no visible failure apart from a Configuration crash when you click on the 'Settings' button, then click on 'OK'. I see visualisations, but they are flat and not reacting to any music I play. The 'Alchemy' plugin is just showing stationary dots.

Attached is a 'Debug' log, if I ran on only 'Errors' it didn't make one. This is just me entering the program, playing a track, going fullscreen, stopping, quitting.

My setup is of an onboard AC97 digital out and a PCI CM878 generic card. The AVC97 handles all 48khz (Video/TV), the CM878 does all the music as it can output 44.1 and has ASIO drivers. I'm not sure if me having 2 sound outputs might have an effect but I thought it best to mention it.

Lastly, I also get a stutter every 5-10 minutes or so, lasting for about 1/3 second. I didn't get that at all using WinAmp. I've just tried raising the buffer, so hopefully that might fix it.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Sorry for this noob question...

What advantage has ASIO for a htpc? I found out that it reduces the latency, but the latency between what? And what impact has this on TV sound or music? Or has it something to do with the sampling rate which I also read about?

Thanks, Michael

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry for this noob question...

What advantage has ASIO for a htpc? I found out that it reduces the latency, but the latency between what? And what impact has this on TV sound or music? Or has it something to do with the sampling rate which I also read about?

Thanks, Michael
    ASIO is like a direct line from your music player to your audio card. The main advantage of using it in an HTPC is that it prevents windows from resampling your cd:s and mp3:s to 48 kHz. This way, your music sounds a bit better, and you can listen to 44.1 kHz dts tracks which is impossible without ASIO or Kernel Streaming.

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0 + svn 12678
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Wide
    Windows Version: XP proffesional + SP2
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    HDD: Western Digital 160 GB
    Memory: 1 GB DDR400
    Motherboard: MSI RS480M2
    Motherboard Chipset: ATI RS480/SB400
    Motherboard Bios: AwardBios v6.00PC
    Video Card: MSI RX1600PRO-TD256E
    Video Card Driver: ATI Catalyst 6.11
    Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution 5.1
    Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
    Sound Card Driver: July 21, 2004
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.43.24103
    MPEG2 Video Codec: nVidia PureVideo 1.02-223
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: nVidia PureVideo 1.02-223
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UPC
    HTPC Case: mCubed HFX Classic
    Cooling: mCubed Borg HPC/HGC passive
    Power Supply: Silentmaxx Fanless 400
    Remote: Soundgraph iMON PAD
    TV: Sony KE-32TS2E
    TV - HTPC Connection: Component

When I select the ASIO option within the BASS system the playback is about four times too fast. There is no sound coming from my digital output and the sound from the analog output is too fast. When I turn the ASIO option off the speed of the sound is OK. The ASIO driver of my soundcard works in combination with Foobar2000. I attached a log file that was generated during ASIO playback.

I hope that this is enough information to solve this problem, if more info is needed please let me know.

Best regards,
    Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom