BBC iPlayer (UK) (4 Viewers)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    using the MPUrlsplitter which is why I get the -2 hours
    Could it be an issue with time zones? The 2 hours could be related to current summer time UTC+2 in Germany...

Only thing I don't know is the exact reason for the creation of the mpurlsourcesplitter, I mean there has got to be something extra in it since LAV did exist at the time mpurlsourcesplitter was created...
    I guess the same thing. Our splitter was created when there were no alternatives existing. But in mean time LAV splitter covers most or all protocols.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could it be an issue with time zones? The 2 hours could be related to current summer time UTC+2 in Germany...
    The UK is also on summer time UTC+1 and the -2 hours is the same on the German Das Erste (MP1 and my MP2 x86).

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    According to @morpheus_xx , MP2 doesn't use the mpurlsourcesplitter at all (it uses LAV splitter directly)
    Looks like the 32bit MP2 does use the MpUrlSourceFilter, but 64 bit uses LAV because there's no 64 bit MpUrlSourceFilter.
    I can confirm the delay exists in the UK, and a look at the playlist shows it includes a 2 hour buffer. Looks like LAV splitter starts at the end, or uses the #EXT-X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME tag to determine the live point, whereas the Url Source starts at the beginning (with no option to skip forward).
    BTW I did a download from the BBC to test it was still working, it took about 10secs, on MP1 it is more like 10 minutes, ans idears on that?
    I'd double check it's actually downloaded the full file ;)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I guess the same thing. Our splitter was created when there were no alternatives existing. But in mean time LAV splitter covers most or all protocols.
    Well, I still have some sites needing a referer, and as far as I know that's not possible with LAV, right?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Looks like the 32bit MP2 does use the MpUrlSourceFilter, but 64 bit uses LAV because there's no 64 bit MpUrlSourceFilter.
    Ah yes, this still exists. And that's why download support works now only anymore in 32bit version :( I thought about offloading this task into a separate 32 bit console exe which does the work while UI can remain 64 bit.

Well, I still have some sites needing a referer, and as far as I know that's not possible with LAV, right?
    Probably this is not possible with LAV.

We could add a global option like "prefer LAV Splitter". Or we could add some "capabilities" marker to the site util which would allow us to choose the best source filter for the site.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We could add a global option like "prefer LAV Splitter". Or we could add some "capabilities" marker to the site util which would allow us to choose the best source filter for the site.
    Not sure that is needed.
    The urls that need extra params are easily recognizable (with all the #### in it) and based on that we could select MPUrlSourcesplitter or LAV.
    That way, you also catch stuff that is coming from the hosters

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Finally understanding the code good enough to create a fix for it.
    Will update you when it's ready to be tested.

Still can't find any reason why MP2 would play it correctly though...
    A bit of progress... I at least have the same program that is showing on the website.
    Thing is, the fragment for the current time is the last one of the m3u8, so you don't have a lot of margin for buffering...

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    A bit of progress... I at least have the same program that is showing on the website.
    Thing is, the fragment for the current time is the last one of the m3u8, so you don't have a lot of margin for buffering...
    According to the spec the client shouldn't start playback from less than 3 segments from the end of the playlist, and it looks like the X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME should only be used to show the broadcast time in a progress indicator, so not to determine the live point to play which was a red herring from me :whistle:. If it was me I'd just set it to play live streams from the 3rd from last segment (and bonus points if it'll let you seek backwards from there ;)).

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    good advice! Completely missed that part of the spec...
    Did some more investigating, but apart from being the last segment there are some other issues popping up that give a lot of extra lagging
    Going to be quite an adventure for me getting this working :) (not really familiar with c++, and totally not familiar with the inner workings of MPUrlSourceSplitter.
    But morpheus_xx also has a good point, for only using mpurlsourcesplitter when extra parameters are needed at the requests, and use LAV for all others.

So in the end, I have to weigh the pros and cons of morpheus's idea vs trying to keep mpurlsourcesplitter on par with the rest of the world...

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Going to be quite an adventure for me getting this working :) (not really familiar with c++, and totally not familiar with the inner workings of MPUrlSourceSplitter.
    I had that same thought when I looked at it...which is why I tagged you instead :D
    So in the end, I have to weigh the pros and cons of morpheus's idea vs trying to keep mpurlsourcesplitter on par with the rest of the world...
    Yeah don't sacrifice yourself reinventing the wheel, if LAV does the job and it's fairly straightforward to get it to play nicely with existing sites then that might be the best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom