BD-rip, ISO = No subtitles? (1 Viewer)

Toga

Portal Pro
January 17, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Only problem though is, that someof my discs gets an error when I try to analyze them in AnotherEAC3 - something about "Zero Lenght". Until now this has been both The Dark Knight and Pirates of the Caribean 3. Mind you, this is all done from my ripped .iso files mounted with VCD. I'll try later with the physical disc, hoping that will work.

How Long ago did you rip these? Older Versions of AnyDVD HD couls not remove BD+ so the image still would have some protection on them.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Not more than a couple of weeks for The Darkn Knight and Pirates I ripped yesterday. AnyDVD is fully updated.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If all else fails, remember that AnotherEac3to is really just a front end to the program that does the actual work - eac3to.exe, which is run from the command line. Try opening a command prompt, browsing to where eac3to.exe, and running it - type "eac3to.exe x:" where "x:" is the drive letter of your BD drive. See what comes back. If it can read it (it will spit back a list of what's on the disk if it can) then it's just the GUI acting up. If it can't then you have another problem, most likely AnyDVD not removing the copy protection. I know the Dark Knight can be done but sometimes you have to try it a couple times.

There's another GUI for it - Downloads - hdbrstreamextractor - Project Hosting on Google Code - or you can Google "eac3to" and learn how to run it from the command line, which is how we all used to do it, you'd have to figure out the names of the tracks then write a little batch file, but it worked.

Toga

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not more than a couple of weeks for The Darkn Knight and Pirates I ripped yesterday. AnyDVD is fully updated.

Just had the Same error. the disk in question was a rip I had managed to rip only the movie.
    I wonder if altering the disk in any way causes issues for the ripping tools.
    Could you have had any option such as remove annoying trailers and adverts turned on when ripping the movies you are having trouble with?

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I didn't have anything checked in ANyDVD except for "Enable Blu-ray support" (or something like that). Still got errors with ANotherEAC3to.

So I tried the other GUI program "HD DVD Blu-ray stream Extractor" and so far it seems its working. Thanks for all the help so far Ixian.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    "HD DVD Blu-ray Stream Extractor" lived up to its name and extracted the streams. Only problem is, when I open the streams in MKVMerge I can't see which streams are which. I can see the filename, so I know which is the AC3 audio and which is the TrueHD audio, but I can't see the difference if I have more than one AC3 audion. Maybe there is a solution to that. So far i have not had any discs where I needed more than one AC3 audio, so for now I can live with it.

Right now MKVmerge is running at home and I am looking forward to seeing what it comes up with when I get off work later. Hopefully it is working.

I found out that it was not EACto3 that was my problem with the discs that gave errors - I could run it from cmd.exe and get the list of contents. It was only after, when I clicked on Command Line or Run Batch, that the error was given. But I have no intention of using the Batch anyway, When I change from .iso to .mkv, I might as well cut out the audio languages that are not needed.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Run BDSup2Sub - just double click it (requires Java runtime). Load the extracted subtitles from the step above, it'll show you a preview of them, browse through and make sure everything looks correct, then go to file-export. This will export the subs to a standard sub/idx format, which most players (like Mediaportal) can process.

Also one option is to convert BD subs into 1080p SUB/IDX with BDSup2Sub and then save subs within BD's STREAM folder (you must name subtitle with same name as BD stream for MP to autoload them, for example 00000.idx & 00000.sub). That way you don't have to mux bd's into mkv and subs will work.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    True, but if you're ripping the thing in the first place you're already muxing it, in which case why not just stick the subs in there too? It doesn't really add time to the muxing process and now you have everything you need in one file.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I agree with Ixian. I thought it would be a lot of trouble, but it really isn't. The whole process doesn't even take longer than when I just rip the Blu-rays.
    Secondly, I get the chance of stripping the disc of stuff I don't need. I just ripped and demuxed Quantum of Solace. The original disc is 48GB. I ripped the video, DTS HD-MA english audio, the DTS english audio and the danish subtitles. Final file: 25GB. That's almost half the size, and I still have all the quality on the stuff I want.
    If you are using this as a backup of the discs, then of course this might not be the best idea. But just for storing movies for easy acces via MediaPortal, this is great since it saves space without sacrificing (omg I can't spell today - is that even right?) quality.

I have one question. When using HdBrStreamExtractor (instead of Another EAC, I still can't get that to work properly) I can select what format I want to output my audion in. The Lossless audio format I use FLAC. But with the DTS audio, I have the option to extract as either DTS (if it's a DTS audio track) or AC3. Which is better? And will MP have trouble with the first one?

I am muxing a disc now, using DTS, so I'll guess I'll find out, but it would be nice with some expert advice.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I was previously muxing all my BD rips into MKV but I stopped as I had random failures. On some clips video got artifacts, lipsync trouble etc. Same stuff was experienced by other users on mkvtoolnix thread. I didn't feel it was really worth the hassle after all those unreliable results. That's the reason why now I rip my movies into BD movie only and just add one subfile into STREAM folder. And same time I still have original BD subs stored in the file (more colors and partial transparency). I'm hoping that MP will play subs just fine later on even without IDX/SUB subs (it's bound to happen someday), so I don't feel like going into MKV.

But if MKV works for you, just go for it, it takes less space and you can use flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom