Best way to upgrade? (1 Viewer)

pballs

Portal Member
July 4, 2006
Hi there,

I'm running RC4, and want to upgrade to the full release now its available.

Whats the best way to do this without loosing settings/database etc from my RC4 install?

Thanks,
Me.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Well unistalling the old one and installing the new one is usually the go. Clean settings though is always a good way to go.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I you want a stable version you have to reinstall from scratch ! This is a requisite :p

You can always uninstall RC4 (settings and DB are kept) and then install 0.2 over your older installation but this is really not recommended.

Have fun :lol:

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    If you want to keep as much information as possible but start with a nice clean set up, export your channels from the set up, uninstall (backup first, you never know!), delete everything left, install, set up everything and import saved data. That will get you back channel list, groups, recordings and scheduled recordings.

That being said I didn't do that :) . I uninstalled, cleaned, installed, set up everything, restored all databases and mediaportal.xml (as well as thumbs and webepg config), ran setup again and accepted. I was running one of the latest SVNs so I don't expect that there were many changes. If something goes wrong I can always start from scratch.

speedorhaste

Portal Member
    April 1, 2006
    Geelong
    Oops, just asked a very similar question in another thread. I could not find a guide in the documentation Wiki explaining this process. Which files do you need to back up for restore so as to retain channel settings, database content etc?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    speedorhaste said:
    Oops, just asked a very similar question in another thread. I could not find a guide in the documentation Wiki explaining this process. Which files do you need to back up for restore so as to retain channel settings, database content etc?
    best is to not use any old files.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    But it is safe to export channels from the set up and import them back after installing the new version, isn't it?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    igalan said:
    But it is safe to export channels from the set up and import them back after installing the new version, isn't it?
    if you use latest svn-snapshot of RC4 you can do that.
    many issues regarding backup/restore of TV-Channels have been fixed a few weeks before release.

but radio channels are not exported!
    so you may have to run autotune in any case.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yes, you're right, I didn't remember this (and I did a couple of test plans for this particular issue :) ).

Users who are viewing this thread