[solved] Blaster Not Working (2 Viewers)

hootie318

Portal Pro
January 14, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
IRSS Logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Perfect, thanks. :)

As suspected, IR Server.log shows failure to start the MCE receiver/transmitter plugins:
    [collapse]
    2015-05-30 18:21:38.949602 [Error][4]: Failed to start receive plugin: "Microsoft MCE"
    Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The semaphore timeout period has expired
    at IRServer.Plugin.DriverVista.IoControl(IoCtrl ioControlCode, IntPtr inBuffer, Int32 inBufferSize, IntPtr outBuffer, Int32 outBufferSize, Int32& bytesReturned)
    at IRServer.Plugin.DriverVista.GetDeviceCapabilities()
    at IRServer.Plugin.DriverVista.InitializeDevice()
    at IRServer.Plugin.DriverVista.Start()
    at IRServer.Plugin.MicrosoftMceTransceiver.Start()
    at IRServer.IRServer.StartPlugins()
    Site : Void IoControl(IoCtrl, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, Int32, Int32 ByRef)
    Source : Microsoft MCE Transceiver
    Stack Trace:
    at IRServer.Plugin.DriverVista.IoControl(IoCtrl ioControlCode, IntPtr inBuffer, Int32 inBufferSize, IntPtr outBuffer, Int32 outBufferSize, Int32& bytesReturned)
    at IRServer.IRServer.StartPlugins()[/collapse]

[collapse]
    2015-05-30 18:21:43.061837 [Error][4]: Failed to start transmit plugin: "Microsoft MCE"
    Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The semaphore timeout period has expired
    at IRServer.IRServer.StartPlugins()
    Site : Void IoControl(IoCtrl, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, Int32, Int32 ByRef)
    Source : Microsoft MCE Transceiver
    Stack Trace:
    at IRServer.IRServer.StartPlugins()[/collapse]

This explains why your blaster is not working.

I don't know exactly what the errors mean, but I can make some educated guesses. The errors come from the lowest level of interaction with the driver/hardware. So, like I said previously:

My guess would be that:
    • IRSS is prevented from using the transceiver by some other application (eg. WMC, MediaPortal). WMC services must be stopped, and MCE remote configuration in MediaPortal must be disabled.
    • The transceiver drivers aren't installed/running correctly. I wouldn't know how to fix this. Perhaps try rebooting.

For the first point, add EventGhost, HIP and any other application that interacts with remote controls into the list.
    For the second point, you could also try stopping IRSS and TV service, replugging the transceiver, and then restarting IRSS and TV service.

P.S. I'm not an IRSS, remote or blaster expert. We've now come to a point where I don't have answers. You may need to do some (re)searching of your own to figure out what is wrong here.

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Will do. Thank you for your help. I appreciate you getting me this far.

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    I guess I am going to have to do a total wipe and do a fresh install. Now I am having problems with some eHome driver. If there is anyone out there that has any suggestions I would love the help. I'm not sure I could get it back up and running after a clean install.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You know that the eHome driver is responsible for MCE compatible remotes/blasters, right? ...so that would explain a lot.
    I still use XP [which doesn't have eHome] so unfortunately I'm not familiar with eHome. It would be difficult for me to help you... but perhaps people like @Lehmden and/or @Stéphane Lenclud will be able to advise.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm using the original Microsoft ehome receiver since ever they are on the market. Only on XP (the version without MCE) it was a bit tricky to get them working, but not impossible. All other windows versions (maybe not Win10, don't know jet) came with proper drivers included. Even on Linux (XBMC/Kodi) it is working ootb. And, for more than 10 years I'm still using the first receiver I've owned. But I have to say, I've never used, not even tested the blaster option. And I'm also not familiar with IRSS or EventGhost as I also never used them due to the widely based software support ehome has...

If you got driver issues on Win7 then most likely it's an issue with a) the USB port the receiver is connected to or b) it's a hardware fault of the receiver...
    First I would try to attach it to a different USB port or probably to an active! USB hub...
    If this did not change anything I would try to uninstall the ehome receiver from device manager and then restart the computer. This will install the drivers from scratch...
    If this still did not work I would try the receiver on a different pc, just to see if it's working properly at all...

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    I have done a clean install. I now have an eHome IR driver working. The IR receiver is taking remote commands. The blaster is not working, there are no ports listed in IRSS. However, WinTV and the IR blaster config sends to the blaster on Port 1 and the blaster responds. Anyone??? This is driving me crazy and now my wife is on me to go to the cable company and just rent a DVR. NO WAY!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I now have an eHome IR driver working. The IR receiver is taking remote commands.
    Okay, that's a good start. :)

However, WinTV and the IR blaster config sends to the blaster on Port 1 and the blaster responds.
    Alright.
    Please answer these 2 questions.

What type of blaster do you have?
    From the IRSS screenshots that you attached previously, I thought you had a MCE-compatible blaster. However, I'm now unsure. If you're using a blaster that came with the Colossus, it may be a Hauppauge blaster. If you have a Hauppauge blaster then your configuration is completely wrong.

What is this "IR blaster config" that you refer to?
    Please post a screenshot.

Please read the following very carefully.

As I told you several posts ago, one of the reasons the blaster is not working could be:
    IRSS is prevented from using the transceiver by some other application (eg. WMC, MediaPortal). WMC services must be stopped, and MCE remote configuration in MediaPortal must be disabled.

WinTV and this "IR blaster config" will prevent IRSS from using the blaster (!!!).
    In other words, you have to completely close/stop WinTV and "IR blaster config" in order for IRSS to have any chance of being able to control the blaster.

WinTV is a Windows service ("HauppaugeTVServer")... which means it is still running in the background even when you close WinTV (!!!). You have to make sure you stop that service.

After you've closed WinTV, you have to restart the IRSS service to enable IRSS to successfully open/load the blaster.
    ...and then you have to restart the MediaPortal TV Server service, to ensure the TV3 Blaster plugin gets the correct information from IRSS.

The only chance you have to get the blaster working is if you do all of the above things in the correct order.

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    I am attaching a screenshot of the remote kit that I am using and have used for a long time. I will follow the steps and report back ASAP[DOUBLEPOST=1433132651][/DOUBLEPOST]OK, removed WinTV and the blaster. I thought if I did that before that it would remove my drivers. Anyway, I have ports. I went to the TV3 Blaster Plugin for IR Server and I have ports. I had it learn the IR commands from my STB remote. I assigned them to each button. However, the blaster is not blasting.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      56.9 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom