[solved] Blaster Not Working (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, thanks.

If the blaster cable is plugged into a Hauppauge card then you're using a Hauppauge blaster, regardless of if the cable came from the Rosewill box. That means you need IRBlast - the Hauppauge blaster driver and config - installed.
    http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/remote_control/irblast_28025.exe

I don't think IRSS supports the Hauppauge blaster. Therefore you must enable TV Server's ServerBlaster plugin (after installing IRBlast and restarting the PC)... and you can disable the IRSS TV3 Blaster plugin.

Configure the blaster (STB type, learning etc.) in the Hauppauge IRBlast config application.

In the TV Server ServerBlaster plugin, simply select "Hauppauge" as blaster type.

I'm quite surprised that you're able to plug the Rosewill blaster cable into the Colossus and have it work. You got lucky there.

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    After an hour of troubleshooting I went back and started from scratch. Removed everything and attempted to add one card at a time. I installed the Colossus first. Programmed the Hauppagge Blaster with my STB code. Ran WinTV and the blaster worked. Installed MPTV from scratch and only added what I needed (ServerBlaster and xmltv). Worked perfectly. The blaster controlled the STB.

Installed card #2, the HVR-1600. Once installed the blaster stopped in MPTV and WinTV. I am working on the assumption that there is a conflict between the blaster ports on the Colossus and the 1600. The BlasterCfg for WinTV does not allow me to select a port and port 1 is selected and grayed out. I am now trying to figure out how to settle this conflict.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, this is an issue with IRBlast (the Hauppauge blaster driver).
    My understanding is that it can only use the blaster from one card, and there's no easy way to tell it which card to use. There's a trick I read about which was that the blaster driver will select the card that is installed last. That would explain why the blaster stopped working (because it is plugged into the Colossus, and the HVR 1600 was installed last). Your choices are:
    • swap the blaster cable to the HVR 1600
    • uninstall the cards again, and this time install the Colossus last
    Note that the trick I mentioned is not guaranteed to work. There may be other considerations which determine which card the blaster driver latches on to. Like I said, in general the blaster driver just doesn't handle multiple cards in the same PC very well.

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Well, I'm done. I don't know where else to turn. Its been a good run I guess. I installed just the Colossus and it worked. Restarted and it didnt. The Hauppauge BlastCfg completely changed and no longer offered the STB choices and only loads in learning mode with form what I have read on the internet you need a special cable to teach BlastCfg. I installed my 950Q and now the card locks up. SO no blaster, 1600 on the shelf, and the 950Q is buggy. I am out of ideas. I have not found any luck finding just a blaster to purchase and the firewire channel change options look a little out of my league.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Why don't you spend a couple bucks and buy a MCE remote with a blaster?

That's what i did, works like a charm.

Correction:

You already HAVE a MCE remote with blaster. Why not using that one?

Attached Files:

• a" data-thumb-height="62.5">

• Untitled.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Uploaded:
      Monday
      Views:

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Did you try just swapping the blaster cable to the HVR-1600? This would have been by far the easiest solution.

Restarted and it didnt.
    I know a little about the Hauppauge blaster, but I don't know why this would happen. If it were me, I would have uninstalled and reinstalled the Colossus and IRBlast drivers again until it worked again. Failing that, I'd contact Hauppauge. They'll probably tell you that your setup is complex, and that you need to use WinTV if you want help from them... but maybe they'll be able to clarify what is going on.

form what I have read on the internet you need a special cable to teach BlastCfg.
    Yes, as far as I know that is true.

I installed my 950Q...
    As I said in my previous post: if you want the blaster to work, my understanding is that you need to install the "target card/tuner" last. So, if you want to use the Colossus blaster, you should have installed your HVR-1600 and 950Q first.

I have not found any luck finding just a blaster to purchase
    I think the really odd thing is that your Rosewill transceiver should be able to function as a blaster.
    I haven't been able to find any high-res photos of this transceiver, but surely they wouldn't include a blaster cable without a socket that you can plug it into.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    It really depends on the model #
    I have an identical Roswill remote but with NO blaster.
    @HOOTIE, does your usb Receiver have a blaster Output in the back?

hootie318

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2014
    Home Country
    The Rosewill IR Receiver has two ports but they are 1/4 inch jacks and the blaster is 1/8 so I assume that rules that part out.

Is that how the USB-UIRT work like that? With a blaster that plugs into a receiver and takes commands from MPTV? If so I could at least put all my cards back in because other than the 950Q being buggy the blaster is the issue.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    That's weird, I have never seen a blaster connector with a quarter inch. Those were the old headphone and microphone connectors.

Edit:

I checked my colossus blaster, this one is much THINNER than the 3.5mm plug of the Rosewill remote.
    That means there is no way to get the Rosewill plug into the colossus wihout drilling a bigger hole.

That's the original blaster from hauppauge.
    http://hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_3meter-ir-blaster-learn.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom