Bluetooth HID device (playstation3 BD remote) (1 Viewer)

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Plugin Finished!

Well I worked solid for quite a few hours to do this as I lost all the work I had done previously.

Will release it properly tomorrow, but the plugin is attached.

Installation:

To install it, simply extract the files into: %Installation Directory%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\process\.

You must then pair your remote in Windows (or whatever software you use) and have the HID service installed for the device.

Configuration:

You must configure it first as there is no default configuration. To do this you go to the plugins section in the Config of Media Portal, right click on the plugin and click "Configuration".

Just assign the key events to the buttons. To edit a button - double click the row and you can assign the key events.

Then start MP and use!

I have tested it quickly and it works perfectly for me, but let me know if you have any problems.

sIRwa2

Portal Member
September 9, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
\ o / WooT. excelent. now, where did i leave the remote?? hm.. ill get back to you. GREAT WORK MATE!!!

Melloware

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If any of you would like to BETA test Intelliremote I have a version that now supports the PS3 Bluetooth HID remote so you can control any application with it and not just MediaPortal.

Send me a PM or email if interested in BETA testing it.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
\ o / WooT. excelent. now, where did i leave the remote?? hm.. ill get back to you. GREAT WORK MATE!!!

When you have configured it and tested it how you like, could you upload your settings so I can include them as a default with the plugin when I release it properly? To do this, simply go to the configuration screen of the plugin and on the menu click File - > Export and choose a directory, then upload the files that are created.

The reason I haven't done this myself is that I don't actually use MP anymore, use VistaMC as it does everything I need.

If any of you would like to BETA test Intelliremote I have a version that now supports the PS3 Bluetooth HID remote so you can control any application with it and not just MediaPortal.

Send me a PM or email if interested in BETA testing it.

Normally I would if it was an open source project but your doesn't appear to be. Of course, theres nothing to stop you looking at the source code when I release the plugin :)

Melloware

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Home Country
Normally I would if it was an open source project but your doesn't appear to be. Of course, theres nothing to stop you looking at the source code when I release the plugin :)

No worries mate! I discovered the HID Vendor ID and Product ID for the PS3 Remote and my application should have no problem Learning the PS3 Remote commands to control any windows application. A friend of mine has a PS3 and is going to lend me his remote so I will be able to test it out myself. I was just being impatient!

Good stuff!

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country

No worries mate! I discovered the HID Vendor ID and Product ID for the PS3 Remote and my application should have no problem Learning the PS3 Remote commands to control any windows application. A friend of mine has a PS3 and is going to lend me his remote so I will be able to test it out myself. I was just being impatient!

Good stuff!

When i release the plugin (after its been tested) I will create a little guide on how to pair the remote with the computer (incase you can't figure it out yourself) - so lookout for that if you have trouble with it...

There is also a small guide earlier in the thread somewhere.

Melloware

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Home Country
When i release the plugin (after its been tested) I will create a little guide on how to pair the remote with the computer (incase you can't figure it out yourself) - so lookout for that if you have trouble with it...

That would be excellent and appreciated.

sIRwa2

Portal Member
September 9, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
well, pairing is sort of explained in the first section of this tread i think.

i think the owner of my remote took it with him last visit, i think i can get it back tomorow evening so i can build a nice config and do some testing. and then i buy my own! lol

Melloware

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Home Country
You are right. I might just splurge on one for testing since they are only about 25$ USD. Pairing it seems pretty self explanatory but I will definitely post here if I have trouble.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
Here in the UK you can get one for £15.00 delivered and you can get a bluetooth dongle for < £4 delivered so its a pretty good deal considering how well the remote works (well i think it works well).

The only bad thing at the moment is that once you connect the bluetooth remote, there is no way to disconnect it unless you take the batteries out of the remote or take out your bluetooth dongle - I think this is draining the battery life a bit, but I'm not too sure. The only way I can see to fix this would be to switch on bluetooth when MP starts (programatically) and switch off bluetooth when MP closes, but this is a bit of a cop-out as other people might use bluetooth for more things.

Another way around this would be to take the remote out of range so it disconnects. I think the remote automatically "switches off" when it dc's.

Of course, this is not an issue for people who uses their PC as a media center all the time as the remote will only stay connected when the computer is on (in use), but I use my PC as a PC too but Media Center by night :p

I'd also prefer it if the buttons were different and it had a backlight, but that's other issues :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom