[confirm] Bring back "restart un resume" functionality (1 Viewer)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As suggested by elliotmc in https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-ready-for-download.119007/page-6#post-998029 , I'll post a "bug" report here.

With MP1.4 pre-release, the "restart on resume" functionality has gone. Though it always said "(reduces stuttering with nvidia)" in previous MP Config, that functionality was good for some more things.

1. Multiseat environments
    I use a multiseat environment with a TV server on a WHS2011 machine. This machine goes to sleep (with a software called LightsOut, www.homeserversoftware.com) as soon as there's no other PC running on the home network. It comes back to life as soon as any PC on the home network is turned on, but of course, wakup will take some seconds until all services are fully available. This is enough time for MP to freeze after resume if it was exited in Live TV for example

2. Other resume issues
    There's now no way I'm aware of to be in the MP main menu after resume. Instead, MP will start where from whre it was when the system was sent to sleep. This may result in corrupted Live TV stream as well as it may result in PIN priotected folders being accessible by the user who turns on the system if the user before has accessed them before entering sleep mode. If there's no restart option, there should be an option to jump back to the start screen and reset PIN protection.

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I agree with Requiem, in a multiseat Environment, the Server is not always woke-up reliable. But when Mepo is restarted with "restart on resume" this works fine.
    And with this Option you can always be shure to hve a clean running mepo.
    So please bring this function back.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, to me using that option seems like a workaround in both cases mentioned by @Requiem.

1. Multi-seat environments
    In general MP should not freeze after resume.
    Here it seems like you're saying the cause of the freeze is that MP is trying to start TV when the TV Server is not available. Maybe that would happen if MP is in TV when you put the PC into standby and you have the "when entering the TV screen, turn on TV" option enabled.
    Can you confirm?
    If I'm right, that would be a bug/oversight, and the bug should be fixed... not worked around.

2. Other resume issues
    IMO:
    1. Getting MP to start in the home screen is a preference => different option should be added.
    2. Not resetting PIN protection could be a bug or preference depending on view => should be fixed or a different option should be added.

So to be clear, the option was originally designed to solve completely different issues. Those issues should have been solved in MP 1.4 PR. Other solutions should be developed for people using the option as a workaround/convenience.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. I can confirm that. I like to have TV turned on when I go into the TV section. I'll try to provide some log files as soon as I find some time.
    Maybe a solution could be to add a "wait xx seconds for TV server after resume" setting, this would give the server time to get back online and its services started.
    2. Good ideas.

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Ok, I did several test with the wakeup functionality in a multiseat Environment. Normaly whe the Client wake up from standby, the wol-command is sent to quick, so that sometimes the Network Connection is not available. The Network takes almost 3-5 sec. before beeing stable. But in this time the wol command is already sent to Nirwana.
    Now I found out that, when Setting the pause mepo after resume for about 5-10 sec. and the wait for wol to 30 sec. the wol command is succesfully send to the Server and mepo waits reliable for the Server to be ready. So with this it works fine. (y)

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also having same problem how do I change it to 30seconds wol? I have managed to find delay setting and changed that to 10s on mp resume but no setting for WOL? What is this option under please?

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have tried that but appears when the clients come out of sleep mode they crash the tv server - if tv server is playing something at the time the server shows "connection to tv service lost"

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have tried that but appears when the clients come out of sleep mode they crash the tv server - if tv server is playing something at the time the server shows "connection to tv service lost"
    Hello,
    I'm not sure if I have the same problem as you have.
    As english is not my native speech, it is not totally clear for me, what you would like to say with the sentence above. Can you describe in some more details what you have done and what was the result?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom