[confirm] Bring back "restart un resume" functionality (1 Viewer)

c128

Portal Member
July 17, 2007
Anyone have any joy getting this working, specifically on Windows 8?

I think I've now tried every combination of launching arguments (with/without cscript etc.), privileges, working directory, task user etc. and, no matter what, I can't get the Task Scheduler to run the restart.vbs. The task is triggered at the correct point in time, but the script doesn't run - it won't run manually, either, when launched from the Task Scheduler, but is fine when run directly from a double-click on the file itself. No error message logged of any use, just an Error Value that doesn't map to anything that Google thinks is significant...

As an aside, has this functionality actually been acknowledged somewhere as something that's worthy of resurrecting in Mediaportal? Missing it badly :(

Last edited:

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Maybe you could try to run the vbs-script with the wscript.exe?
You should first Register the .vbs files with wscript.
If you double-click a script file whose extension has not been associated with Wscript.exe, the "open with" dialog box appears. Select wscript.exe, then select "always use this program" to open this file type. This registers Wscript.exe as the default script host for files of this file type.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    Looks like that only applies to folk using the MediaPortal TV server?
    I'm using Argus TV :(

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    Same issue with wscript, BTW - task fails to even run manually from within the Scheduler.

Last edited:

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    So...I've still got the same issue here. Without "Restart on resume" in 1.4 I've gone from a great, stable, system based on 1.3 to one that's a real pain when resuming from S3.

The workaround to use the task scheduler to trigger the restart vbs script doesn't work for me on Windows 8 either. But then, I guess, it is just a workaround anyway.

Being that there seems, from searching around, a lot of folk that are lamenting the loss of "Restart on resume", what's the process to formally request it being reinstated in the next version of Mediaportal?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So...I've still got the same issue here. Without "Restart on resume" in 1.4 I've gone from a great, stable, system based on 1.3 to one that's a real pain when resuming from S3.
    Have you found what is actually causing the problem? I haven't seen you post any log files, so nobody here has been able to assist you.

The workaround to use the task scheduler to trigger the restart vbs script doesn't work for me on Windows 8 either. But then, I guess, it is just a workaround anyway.
    Exactly. Finding and fixing the source of the problem is the way forward. The function is not coming back as a workaround for other issues - that would be silly.

Being that there seems, from searching around, a lot of folk that are lamenting the loss of "Restart on resume", what's the process to formally request it being reinstated in the next version of Mediaportal?

It will not be reinstated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It has been explained several times already in this thread and in other threads.
    The option was added as a lazy workaround for other problems. Some of those problems were solved in MP 1.4, and we want to solve the others rather than having a hack-workaround.

c128

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    It has been explained several times already in this thread and in other threads.
    The option was added as a lazy workaround for other problems. Some of those problems were solved in MP 1.4, and we want to solve the others rather than having a hack-workaround.

And leaving the option in/reinstating this option stops you solving these issues, how?
    Is there a specific technical reason why it is particularly onerous and/or problematic to bring this option back?

This option was added to work around a specific issue that I wasn't even aware of, but has been used by many other users, quite successfully, to solve other problems - the source of those problems is really quite academic, if they have no means to solve it because it relates to interaction with a third party plugin. You now have a body of people that are employing even hackier external workarounds to solve their issues - in my case the latest hack doesn't even work.

Rather than just someone saying "no" - what is the constructive process to suggest that this returns as an option within Mediaportal so that end users get a chance to vote on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom