[confirm] Bring back "restart un resume" functionality (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Kui

...as far as i know, i can't use new MP builds (still using MP 1.3 Final on main HTPC as that version still has the restart after sleep function).

To be honest, i even havent tried MP versions above that 1.3 which i use now, cause they dont have that restart function, which i believe my tuner needs to work.
    Your understanding is not correct.
    In the past this problem has been solved by setting the TV Server configuration option: "delay in seconds before TVServer detects cards".
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/06_General#Delay_for_TV_card_detection

This has nothing to do with the restart after resume option for MediaPortal.

In fact, in MP 1.5 we added dynamic tuner detection. That means the tuner should be detected when it is ready. There should be no need to set the "delay..." option; no need to restart TV Server; definitely no need to restart MediaPortal.

Regards,
    mm
    :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello nobru26

Personally I have a Imon and often minidisplay NOT START
    Have you tried using the Comm. delay setting?
    Otherwise, same comments as for greybox's problem: this can almost certainly be fixed with code if a developer decides to take up work on the plugin.

I have an Onkyo receiver and HDMI through the amplifier and the time it starts the screen is not detected or not at the right resolution ( this is a problem that Seven take a low resolution if there is no screen connected).
    This issue is being worked on. There were already improvements in MP 1.4. Next step is to detect dynamic resolution changes.

For others there are the problems with displays Blast
    Sorry, not sure what you mean.

USB TV cards
    As explained for Kui: restarting MP will do absolutely nothing to help a tuner problem... and we already made improvements in MP 1.5.

Nvidia card
    My understanding is that the restart on resume option was originally added to solve a problem with NVidia GPUs. Scythe said he solved the problem in MP 1.4, and that is part of the reason why the option was removed. So, if you have this problem with MP 1.4+ it should be reported.

So do you think it is possible to solve all these problems at the source?
    So far, yes. :)

knowing that once resolved, the equipment will be obsolete and the user has changed the TV card and / or PC and find another problem when resume?
    I can see that you're frustrated. However, I think this is quite an unfair statement. As you can see we are producing new releases much more quickly than in the past. We're always working to solve the problems that are reported. If you don't report, the problem won't be solved. Simple as that.

Do you think frankly that Microsoft , Nvidia, Imon and Onkyo or Denon concerned with Mediaportal which I think is 0.1 % of the users of their equipment ?
    No, probably not... but do you really think that everyone wants to have to enable "restart on resume" to fix their problems? Do you see other software or hardware with "restart on resume" options? I say no and no. If MP is well designed then it should "just work".

Do you think they are going to update or correct their bug in the drivers and others?
    Maybe, if bugs are reported.

Think you can fix all bug from sleep all HTPC users MP ? with all possible combinations of cards and drivers , updates , etc ? ?
    If other software can do it then why can't MP? :)

mm

Kui

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2010
    Alajärvi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hello Kui

...as far as i know, i can't use new MP builds (still using MP 1.3 Final on main HTPC as that version still has the restart after sleep function).

To be honest, i even havent tried MP versions above that 1.3 which i use now, cause they dont have that restart function, which i believe my tuner needs to work.
    Your understanding is not correct.
    In the past this problem has been solved by setting the TV Server configuration option: "delay in seconds before TVServer detects cards".
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/06_General#Delay_for_TV_card_detection

This has nothing to do with the restart after resume option for MediaPortal.

In fact, in MP 1.5 we added dynamic tuner detection. That means the tuner should be detected when it is ready. There should be no need to set the "delay..." option; no need to restart TV Server; definitely no need to restart MediaPortal.

Regards,
    mm
    :)

Hi,

Thanks mm for you answer.

After you said that, i will try new MP version soon (perhaps today even :)).
    I use that delay for TV card option, ive set it to 18 second i recall, but without restart after sleep, the TV server has crashed randomly and/or sometimes the connection to TV server has been lost --> closing TV service from task manager has done the trick those times.

I also use the "Wait X seconds before MP starts", that way my MP has worked basically 100%.
    But nice to know there have been improvements, and will deffinately give it a try after you said that!

But still, could it be possible to make a poll on somewhere forums about bringing the restart function back anyway, as very many seems to miss that option (not perhaps me anymore, but many other users ;))..?

I still feel if big amount of users wants it back, then it should back.. Some uses it, some not, but still the option for it would be there...

No offence mm, i understand your point too on this subject, and thanks for the hint you gave me. ;)

Thanks,
    Kui

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    "Or give us a script to run to make it thank you."
    i posted a batch script long ago which does the restart on resuming just set as a sheduled task so whats the problem ?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use that delay for TV card option, ive set it to 18 second i recall, but without restart after sleep, the TV server has crashed randomly and/or sometimes the connection to TV server has been lost --> closing TV service from task manager has done the trick those times.

Restart after sleep only restarted MediaPortal, not the TV server, so this can not be related. You may need to use an even longer delay if your cards are not working quickly after waking.

Honestly, there is so much of this that is outside of the control of MediaPortal, but the reasons for having this extra setting in the first place have gone away with bug fixes.

It is always possible that there will be one or two users that will benefit from this setting, but I suspect there are better ways to fix the problems they are experiencing.

harryzwo

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

My HTPC has Hauppauge Nova-T 500 DVB-T tuner in it, which has 2 * USB tuners attached to PCI board.

For that reason it takes alot time to initialize the USB tuners (about 20 seconds after wakeup from sleep), so as far as i know, i can't use new MP builds (still using MP 1.3 Final on main HTPC as that version still has the restart after sleep function).

So it would be nice to get it back...

Btw, ofc there is program like MCE Standby Tool which should work, but its still different/not so reliable i think.

Thanks,
    Kui :)

i use the Hauppauge Nova-T 500 DVB-T too. and had also this problem.
    For that reason i use GMPS as sheduler. There are lot of capabilities to adjust the HTPC.

nobru26

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2006
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    Yes I tried the comm delay with minidisplay, and I can say that this solves 80% of problems, from time to time it still freezes.

Another problem with minidisplay is when starting to record (without amplifier or TV) it says nothing on the screen and then nothing when starting TV, but you can conciderer here that it will not solve the problem because the PC is already started for recording.

Sometimes at retarting from standby, the screen remains freezed at HOME (near 5 minutes), and suddenly the PC returns into standby ....

Rare problem with Imon and remote .... no response

I tried searching without success the famous script, but I can not find the post in question, help?

The most frustrating thing is that doing the update, no indication saying that the option was removed, that was my surprise?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom