CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (1 Viewer)

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
November 14, 2012
Chicago, IL
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
@mm1352000... not sure if you are still checking this thread, but wanted to say that the most recent patch you made to try and resolve the lag in changing channels did not end up working as expected (at least for my setup). Had to live with it for a while before I could be sure the issue was back.

Anywho... happy to continue working with you on this if you want to try and resolve. Not sure if this thread would be the right place since it might be a bit specific to only a small # of users.

One thing I noticed is that I'm occasionally getting an "unknown" status related to a few tuners in the Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6 box. Its tough to put the pieces together, but there is a chance that the channel changing issue and this "unknown" status could be related. (And for the record, the Ceton and my MP TV Server are seperated by about 10 feet of ETH cord, both going into the same 1000MBps switch. Unlikely to be related to signal degradation.)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    not sure if you are still checking this thread...
    Of course I am. CableCARD is my "baby". :)

...but wanted to say that the most recent patch you made to try and resolve the lag in changing channels did not end up working as expected (at least for my setup). Had to live with it for a while before I could be sure the issue was back.
    Okay. Please post fresh log files because I'm 99% certain what you're seeing now will be a different issue.

Anywho... happy to continue working with you on this if you want to try and resolve. Not sure if this thread would be the right place since it might be a bit specific to only a small # of users.
    Likewise I'm very happy to work with you. :)
    If you could upgrade to MP 1.5 PR (which has CableCARD support built in) that would be ideal. Then you can start a thread in the bug report section here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/1-5-0-pre-release.664/

In fact, general comment... I'd appreciate it if everybody who is able could upgrade to the pre-release, just to confirm that the CableCARD support is exactly as it was with the patch. Thanks in advance... :)

One thing I noticed is that I'm occasionally getting an "unknown" status related to a few tuners in the Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6 box. Its tough to put the pieces together, but there is a chance that the channel changing issue and this "unknown" status could be related. (And for the record, the Ceton and my MP TV Server are seperated by about 10 feet of ETH cord, both going into the same 1000MBps switch. Unlikely to be related to signal degradation.)
    I have no idea what the unknown status thing means, but like I say... please post your log files as until I get them I don't have the information I need to be able to help you. :)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    In fact, general comment... I'd appreciate it if everybody who is able could upgrade to the pre-release, just to confirm that the CableCARD support is exactly as it was with the patch. Thanks in advance... :)

YOU ASK TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I will do it.... but just for you!!!

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country
    Let me get my system back up to par and I will upgrade to the prerelease 1.5. I reinstalled the OS to make it 64 bit.

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I'm also seeing "unknown" status for some Ceton pcie tuners after a while. I ordered a new CableCard, suspecting that as the issue.

EDIT: Attached logs from MediaPortal, and Ceton Diagnostic (earlier). The tuners locked up. I'm still leaning towards this being a CableCard issue, but I wanted to share in case this was helpful

Attachments

• CetonInfiniTVDiagnostic_ARAGORN_20130819_22-45.zip
      1.3 MB
    • hung up tuner.rar
      3.1 MB
    Last edited:

urdypooh

August 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Hey there,

so I installed the the 1.5 prerelease tonight after having put the July beta firmware on my HDHomeRun Prime and I can see the three tuner ok. I can even watch tv using the Silicondust Quick... software.
    I used the settings that were recommended for the 1.4 version to which the 1.5prerelease somehow defaulted anyways.
    BUT on my Win 8 (64 bit) I cannot get the channel scan to work. It just does not discover any channels.
    I have attached the log files.
    Any idea which setting I still need to change?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome urdypooh :)

so I installed the the 1.5 prerelease tonight after having put the July beta firmware on my HDHomeRun Prime and I can see the three tuner ok. I can even watch tv using the Silicondust Quick... software.
    I used the settings that were recommended for the 1.4 version to which the 1.5prerelease somehow defaulted anyways.
    Just so we're on the same page: were you previously running the patch from the first post with either MP 1.3 or MP 1.4?

BUT on my Win 8 (64 bit) I cannot get the channel scan to work. It just does not discover any channels.
    I have attached the log files.
    Any idea which setting I still need to change?
    In the TVService.log I can see a bunch of normal scan debug output. The kind of output I'd expect to see when scanning is working and finding channels.
    From the SetupTv.log:
    [2013-08-20 23:01:51,087] [Log ] [ATSC scan thread] [INFO ] - ATSC: scanning digital cable, out-of-band service information
    [2013-08-20 23:04:02,393] [Log ] [ATSC scan thread] [INFO ] - ATSC: scan result, new = 487, updated = 0
    [2013-08-20 23:04:02,595] [Log ] [ATSC scan thread] [INFO ] - ATSC: scan summary, new TV = 487, updated TV = 0, new radio = 0, updated radio = 0
    So for all intents and purposes it looks like channels were found... although from the TVService.log it looks like roughly 250 of those may be missing proper names.

Can you confirm?

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    @mm1352000

No, urdpooh never has had it working in MP. Below is our conversation from #MediaPortal

[21:10] <urdypooh> Hi. I got the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime today and I installed MediaPortal. I can watch tv on 300 something channels using the HDHomeRun quick tv software but when I scan for channels using MediaPortal it cannot find anything working. Does anybody know the settings I need to use to have MediaPortal find the channels?
    [21:11] <Lyfesaver> hi urdypooh
    [21:11] <Lyfesaver> what version of MP are you running?
    [21:11] <urdypooh> 1.4.0
    [21:12] <Lyfesaver> okay then.... sec
    [21:12] <Lyfesaver> for 1.4 to use cablecard u have to install patch
    [21:12] <Lyfesaver> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/
    [21:13] <Lyfesaver> or you could run 1.5 Pre release
    [21:13] <Lyfesaver> as it has the patch installed
    [21:15] <urdypooh> k.... let me try that. Thank you. :)
    [21:16] <Lyfesaver> remember urdypooh
    [21:17] <Lyfesaver> u have to have the latest beta firmware from Silicondust to use MP and CableCard
    [21:17] <Lyfesaver> they might have moved it out of beta... not sure
    [21:17] <Lyfesaver> I use a Ceton
    [21:17] <Lyfesaver> so I cant be sure
    (redacted)
    [21:34] <urdypooh> something went wrong...now the TV config utility doesn't want to start anymore.
    [21:36] <urdypooh> I guess I will do a complete uninstall and do a once over.
    [21:41] <Lyfesaver> hmm
    [21:41] <Lyfesaver> okay
    [21:41] <Lyfesaver> sry upgrade did not work for u
    [21:41] <Lyfesaver> but a fresh install is always best for a snappiest MP experience
    [22:05] <urdypooh> mmmm...the new cards don't show up
    [22:06] <urdypooh> in the section where I could scan the channels
    [22:06] <urdypooh> I see them though in the Frank_Asus server section.
    [22:07] <Lyfesaver> i dont know what that means... but if you post about your issue in that thread I gave you, I am sure mm will help you out
    [22:07] <Lyfesaver> I only know it works for lots of people
    [22:07] <Lyfesaver> lots of them
    [22:08] <Lyfesaver> if you read the last few pages you can see it
    [22:08] <urdypooh> Ok...I will try that.
    [22:09] <urdypooh> Thank you for your help. :)

Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    MM, I cleared my channels, cleared the logs and updated my server to 1.5
    Here are the complete logs.
    The channels that did have names before are not in the new scan

Attachments