CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (1 Viewer)

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This caused the service to crash...
    I'm not seeing this. Can you specify the date and time (roughly)?

It happened overnight, but as far as I can tell it crashed at 2:30am, at the end of the logs. I think that it finished recording on a channel at 2am, and was trying to start a new recording on the same channel at 2:30am, and that's when it crashed.

Last edited:

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I had some failed recordings today, with the cards set to not preload. Logs attached, and some error messages about failed subscriptions. This is a newish CableCard, but let me know if you think I should try a different card or something else.

DrYork

August 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Okay, brand new here, so go easy.
    Do you run a firewall?

If so, please ensure that there is an exception for the MediaPortal TVService.exe and SetupTv.exe. They'll need access to the network.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this a special type of CableCARD or are you just quoting the manufacturer/vendor name?

Sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason the reply notification didn't hit my inbox. Anyway, I've just got Windows Firewall running. Both executables DID have exceptions. However, they were set only for "public" networks, not for my private LAN. Checked the public box and retried.

BINGO! 260 channels found. Sweet! Now to figure out this whole MediaPortal thing....next up TVGuide data. :)

This configuration was obviously set by MediaPortal setup. Might want to pass on this issue to the setup folks. I did have some issues with setup, so perhaps it was just didn't completely finish the process.

Scientific Atlanta is just a brand name. Bought by Cisco, I believe. The card reports as Cisco, so at the least it is a rebranded Cisco card.

Anyway, thanks!!! Excited to get this up and running and see what's what.

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    It happened overnight, but as far as I can tell it crashed at 2:30am

Funny... I had a crash at 2:30am recently as well. Posted logs for it a few pages back. Wonder if it is related to Schedules Direct?

Interesting thought, but I don't think so. I don't use the SchedulesDirect plugin (anymore, at least). I use Argus for my EPG and recording schedules, and that finished at 12:20am. I think I had a recording starting at 2:30am that was on the same channel for the same tuner that finished at 2am.

EDIT: I should probably add that as a general behavior I've noticed, sometimes I'll have a problem tuning the same channel twice, that goes away when I have the tuner go to a different channel. Not completely repeatable, but I've noticed this a few times.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This caused the service to crash...

I'm not seeing this. Can you specify the date and time (roughly)?

It happened overnight, but as far as I can tell it crashed at 2:30am, at the end of the logs. I think that it finished recording on a channel at 2am, and was trying to start a new recording on the same channel at 2:30am, and that's when it crashed.
    @georgius it looks to me like the IPTV filter may have crashed or locked up. However, it doesn't look like the same RTSP issue as azzuro was seeing. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a quick look.
    @twemperor are you able to use the MediaPortal watchdog tool to grab log files? What I need is the system event logs to confirm the cause of the crash.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

I had some failed recordings today, with the cards set to not preload. Logs attached...
    Let's be clear about what preloading is: it is simply doing what the TV service would otherwise do when you first attempt to tune a channel. It [normally] makes zero difference in relation to failed recordings, slow tuning and crashes. In other words, if you want to use preloading then please go ahead and just use it.

Once again here (as with all of the previous issues you've reported that I can think of off the top of my head), the underlying cause of the problems is TV service not handling failures to communicate with your tuner gracefully. I could harden the service to try and handle communication errors better, but honestly if it were my choice I'd prefer to get access to your server and figure out why these communication issues are happening in the first place. Would it be possible to do that?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    EDIT: I should probably add that as a general behavior I've noticed, sometimes I'll have a problem tuning the same channel twice, that goes away when I have the tuner go to a different channel. Not completely repeatable, but I've noticed this a few times.
    Sounds like a similar sort of thing as I saw in Sigpi007's log files. No response from Ceton or Silicondust yet - understandable given it is/was still the weekend in your part of the world... :)

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    @twemperor are you able to use the MediaPortal watchdog tool to grab log files? What I need is the system event logs to confirm the cause of the crash.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal
    Yes, I can do that. MediaPortal itself is running great, and I didn't realize I could use this tool to collect TV-Server logs.

Once again here (as with all of the previous issues you've reported that I can think of off the top of my head), the underlying cause of the problems is TV service not handling failures to communicate with your tuner gracefully. I could harden the service to try and handle communication errors better, but honestly if it were my choice I'd prefer to get access to your server and figure out why these communication issues are happening in the first place. Would it be possible to do that?

I assumed the preloading behavior is as you explained, which is why I wanted to test the mode and let you know I saw this issue. Let me know how you'd prefer to access my server (Windows RDP, or some other service?), and I'd be glad to let you look around.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Yesterday I was doing a littl testing with the server and the client.
    I setup the server for OTA and everything was going good.
    On the client I was looking at what channels were getting SD info and what was not.
    I also watched one I had not seen before (Movies!)...
    After I short time I had to walk away from the clent.

This morning I logged into my server and there were 2 connections from the client.
    The logs were reporting lots of errrors for drive R (RamDrive) yet there was lots of space available.
    One of the TSWriter logs was 43,864,957 in size and growing. Little extreem for a single log.

Seeing some of the others are having issues and I cannot explain the 2nd connection from the client while no one was watching / useing the client, I thought you might like the information and logs...
    Client.zip = Client machine
    Timeshifting.zip is all the logs from the server...
    Oh, needless to say I got OTA scanning working again.

Attachments

• Timeshifting.zip
      2.6 MB
    • Client.zip
      1.3 MB

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Sounds like a similar sort of thing as I saw in Sigpi007's log files. No response from Ceton or Silicondust yet - understandable given it is/was still the weekend in your part of the world... :)

Also today is a national holiday, mm. Everyone is off work today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom