CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Jeremy :)

...right now Mediaportal does support the HDHomerun Prime with everything except the CableCard. Is that correct?
    We currently support tuning clear QAM channels with the Prime. So basically you would probably only get your local channels.

Is there a way to determine what channels I would get without the CableCard?
    I think this tool may help:
    http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Enter your zip code, then up the top select your cable provider.
    I believe it lists only the channels that are in-the-clear, which is all you would get without CableCARD support.

I don't mind giving up HBO/Sho/Max and that kind of stuff to move to MP. However, it would hurt (HURT) to give up the fox sports, FX, SYFY, etc... :). I'm on the precipice of making that decision... I think I need the nudge :).
    I'm 90% certain that without this patch you would be unable to get the channels that you mentioned.
    With the latest patch I hope you would be able to get them... but I can't make any promises at this point as I haven't received enough feedback.

Thank you for your time on this and MP in general!
    You're welcome. :)

mm

jsmith100

October 13, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    mm,

Thank you for your quick response. I will set MP up with the new patch and see what I get/don't get and provide feedback.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cool :)
    Note that all the channels (including HBO etc.) should show in your channel list. You're going to have to test/preview the channels that you are interested in.
    As it says in the first post, I haven't yet figured out how to ask the CableCARD whether it can decrypt a channel or not.

mm

jsmith100

October 13, 2012
    Home Country
    well, I hit a little snag, but not a show stopper... I'm running Windows 7 64bit and I see this fix specifically requires 32bit... I have a spare PC with windows 7 32, but I need to reload it from scratch (the kids old PC). It will take a little while, but I will be up and running eventually!

Thanks again!

Jeremy

SeeSharper

October 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Hey mm,
    First off, great job so far, nice dedication!
    I'm completely new to the entire MP scene, I've been using WMC, but am seeking an alternative.
    I am a C# Developer, I have the DCR-2650, and I'm eager to help out.
    A couple questions:
    I know MP is written in C#, so is it right to assume your patch is also written in C#?
    If so, is it possible to take a look at your code? I have no reason to think so, but maybe something will catch my eye and I could offer some insight?
    Currently, I'm running Win-8 x64 with Media Center. Obviously you're not too concerned with this at the moment, but perhaps there is some testing I could do that would offer insight into what is required to support this OS and/or 64bit? I plan on setting up a dual-boot to Win7-32 so I can test the patch as-is for now.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome SeeSharper :)

First off, great job so far, nice dedication!
    Cheers. :)

I'm completely new to the entire MP scene, I've been using WMC, but am seeking an alternative.
    I am a C# Developer, I have the DCR-2650, and I'm eager to help out.
    Fantastic - that would be great! :D

A couple questions:
    I know MP is written in C#, so is it right to assume your patch is also written in C#?
    A large chunk of MP is C#, yes. However there are also various C++ filters for things like TS file handling and subtitles.
    This patch also has a foot in both camps.
    Getting tuning working was mostly a C# affair.
    The scanning changes are almost entirely C++ in TsWriter.

If so, is it possible to take a look at your code? I have no reason to think so, but maybe something will catch my eye and I could offer some insight?
    Sure, I can give you a patch. Please check your PMs. :)

Currently, I'm running Win-8 x64 with Media Center. Obviously you're not too concerned with this at the moment, but perhaps there is some testing I could do that would offer insight into what is required to support this OS and/or 64bit? I plan on setting up a dual-boot to Win7-32 so I can test the patch as-is for now.
    The issue with W8 is not as much of a deal as 64 bit is. In other words, sticking with W7 makes my life easier as far as support goes.
    64 bit is a whole different kettle of fish.
    Basically MS don't seem to install their DRI (OCUR tuner native interface) wrapper in such a way that WOW64 applications can use it.
    There may be a technical reason for that - I'm not sure.
    I do know that I spent 3 hours or so messing with the registry on bc0508's 64 bit server today.
    I effectively registered the wrapper filters in such a way that a WOW64 application such as TV Server can now see them. However, they don't appear to work in this environment. I'm not sure if that is because special reg keys are missing or there are some 64 bit native services that the critical DLL (msdri.dll) is used by. Could be a lot of things.
    You're most welcome to have a fiddle with that. Of course you're probably aware that messing with registries can have consequences. :D

Regards,
    mm

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    theres no kind of cable cards that work in australia, so im afraid im not of any use unfortunetly :/

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Looks like the US is going to be going to encryption on all basic cable channels. Looks like we all we been running cable cards soon. My provider only has a few channels that are not encrypted.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks like the US is going to be going to encryption on all basic cable channels. Looks like we all we been running cable cards soon. My provider only has a few channels that are not encrypted.
    What is your source for that info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom