CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (2 Viewers)

fbacher

November 17, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have new InfiniTV PCIe card, but with Win7-64 bit. I like to test with the new XBMC PVR support....

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome fbacher :)

I have new InfiniTV PCIe card, but with Win7-64 bit. I like to test with the new XBMC PVR support....
    I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you. As you probably know we are having issues with 64 bit so you'll need to go to W7 32 bit regardless. Further I *think* the XBMC PVR add-on requires MP 1.2.3 (I could be wrong). I just do not have the capacity to support anything more than MP 1.3 alpha at present. So if you want to test then I'm sorry but you're either going to have to wait or change your system configuration.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello twemperor

I did notice that for the channel tuning information, there doesn't seem to be an encoding type (e.g. 8VSB or 256QAM). Is this intentional? For ClearQAM channels I would like to have the same tuning information mapped for both CableCard tuners and ClearQAM tuners. Right now, I have them separate (this is my production machine, so I'm making changes slowly).
    Yes, that is intentional. I think what you're trying to do may not be possible. The reason is that clear QAM tuners tune by frequency/modulation whereas CableCARD tuners tune by virtual channel numbers - quite different. If that was to have any chance of working at all you would have to scan with the clear QAM tuners, then make sure the channel numbers match the real virtual/logical channel numbers that the CableCARD tuner uses. About the modulation setting: at present I'm using that to differentiate between clear QAM and encrypted CableCARD channels.

11/14/2012 Update: New drivers and I haven't seen a blue screen. I'm having issues with prematurely ending recordings and failure to tune, but I think it's all thermal related (the card is running 67C+ regularly, and Ceton recommends no higher than 65C). Once I get thermal under control, I'll see if any of my issues are MP related, but I don't think so.
    I have a note for any other Ceton InfiniTV users. In order to get the tuners to work more than once, I had to set the cards as "preloaded" and "pause," not "stop."
    Thanks for the feedback. (y)

Is this a configuration other users have? I'm still having other issues that may be CableCard related (dropped recordings, channel entitlement).
    I personally have not trialed enough to comment about the preload/pause setting.
    Regarding the dropped recordings: any chance of posting logs with really specific details (programs, channels, dates, times, entitlements)?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi zyrod

I have a HDHomerun Prime. I have tried testing this in a VM and I had major sync issues. So I blew up my 2nd htpc that I dont use that much and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 pro x86. I'm still getting a ton of sync errors. The other thing I noticed in both testing setups that the hdhomerun was listed a total of 6 times and not 3.

I'm including the log files. Hopefully we can get this sorted!
    Lets tackle the easy question first. You will see 6 tuners for the Prime because Silicondust created a "wrapper" for the Prime that allows software like MP to use it for clear QAM only without any changes. So the 3 tuners named like "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" are the CableCARD tuners; the other three are the same tuners, but only capable of clear QAM. I've added this info to the first post. Thanks for asking. :)

Now for the tougher question. I can see what you mean about the sync issues in the TsWriter log as stream discontinuities. This means that the problem is definitely the stream source, not just playback. In general discontinuities indicate one of two things:
    1. Signal quality issues.
    2. Timeshift/recording HDD stress.

I'm assuming your signal quality is okay so I'm ignoring that for the moment.
    For the second point: are you running any real-time virus/spyware scanners like MS Security Essentials? If these scanners decide to scan your MP/TV Server program folders and/or your timeshifting/recording folders then it can cause symptoms like this.
    Since the Prime is a networked tuner I think we should also consider network issues, including firewalls:
    1. Could you please make sure that there is an exception for TvService.exe in your firewall (there should be, but just make sure).
    2. Please test with firewall(s) enabled and disabled and see if it makes any difference.
    3. Please tell us if you're using wireless or wired networking between your router and the TV Server PC.
    Cheers,
    mm

thirdoff

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2011
    Sync issues meaning stuttering stopping and starting video? I have that on wired and wireless with or without virus/firewall. The prime quicktv plays ok.
    I also cannot connect to a tuner more than once without restarting server service.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sync issues meaning stuttering stopping and starting video? I have that on wired and wireless with or without virus/firewall. The prime quicktv plays ok.
    I also cannot connect to a tuner more than once without restarting server service.
    Okay - please post logs as per the first post.
    In other words, follow the instructions here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

The more detail you can supply (especially regarding times, dates and channels), the better.

zyrod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi zyrod

I have a HDHomerun Prime. I have tried testing this in a VM and I had major sync issues. So I blew up my 2nd htpc that I dont use that much and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 pro x86. I'm still getting a ton of sync errors. The other thing I noticed in both testing setups that the hdhomerun was listed a total of 6 times and not 3.

I'm including the log files. Hopefully we can get this sorted!
    Lets tackle the easy question first. You will see 6 tuners for the Prime because Silicondust created a "wrapper" for the Prime that allows software like MP to use it for clear QAM only without any changes. So the 3 tuners named like "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" are the CableCARD tuners; the other three are the same tuners, but only capable of clear QAM. I've added this info to the first post. Thanks for asking. :)

Now for the tougher question. I can see what you mean about the sync issues in the TsWriter log as stream discontinuities. This means that the problem is definitely the stream source, not just playback. In general discontinuities indicate one of two things:
    1. Signal quality issues.
    2. Timeshift/recording HDD stress.

I'm assuming your signal quality is okay so I'm ignoring that for the moment.
    For the second point: are you running any real-time virus/spyware scanners like MS Security Essentials? If these scanners decide to scan your MP/TV Server program folders and/or your timeshifting/recording folders then it can cause symptoms like this.
    Since the Prime is a networked tuner I think we should also consider network issues, including firewalls:
    1. Could you please make sure that there is an exception for TvService.exe in your firewall (there should be, but just make sure).
    2. Please test with firewall(s) enabled and disabled and see if it makes any difference.
    3. Please tell us if you're using wireless or wired networking between your router and the TV Server PC.
    Cheers,

mm

Thanks for working with me on this.

Both the VM and the phyiscal box was a fresh install so there was no AV software installed yet.

I checked the firewall both the hdhomerun and media player tv server, setup had entries.

I tried with the firewall disabled and there wasn't a change on the sync issues.

I'm running a wired 1gig network.

So more information:
    • hdhomerun quicktv works on all the channels including HD no sync issues.
    • manual control on a test timeshift on a SD channel shows a signal level of 3 and zero signal quality.
    Thanks,

zyrod

thattexaskid19

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2010
    Hi, I was one of the first to ever get the Ceton on this forum and I have to say -THANK YOU. I've been waiting for this support for about 2 years.

Everything is working great for me -the only thing I have found a problem with is that your replacement 'SetupTV.exe' (I think) does not include the new 'EPG Genre Map' option to color the EPG based on genre. Not sure if yours is outdated or what, but that is seriously my only complaint thus far.

Excellent work, after I finalize all the little details in my setup I'll send you some PayPal donation!

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I'm not sure of the best way to post TV Server Logs. There's a set for when everything worked for a while, and then another where only free (as in Clear QAM) channels worked (not copy freely). My prime suspect is a bad CableCard (things start working when I pull and reinsert the card), but I'm posting here in case anything looks odd.

One thing that jumps out at me are the discontinuity errors. The signal that the Ceton is reporting is ~-6.5dB, which I think is okay.

Sorry for all the HDPVR and DirecTV log events, but this is my production machine and I don't have FiOS and CableCard working perfectly yet...

[EDIT] I added one more case, where everything works and then drops out after about 20 minutes. When I remove and reinsert the cablecard, it works again. This all happened around 20:50ish in the logs. Again, my prime suspect is a bad CableCard (should have a replacement in a couple days), but here's my logs in case you see anything else.

Thanks!

Attachments

• worked a little.zip
      19.3 KB
    • no worky.zip
      123.9 KB
    • dropout and reinsert.zip
      30.7 KB
    Last edited:

paescu

November 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi,
    I'm new to MP and CableCard support is a must-have for me in order to switch from TiVo/WMC to a more open and flexible solution. Glad to see the energy for getting this up and running - I don't have the bandwidth to help with code but I thought I share at least what I've got on hopefully a setup that adds to the variety:

HW: Asus Eeepc (ATOM based), ION GPU.
    TV: hdhomerun prime, with Comcast CableCard
    SW: MP1.3 ALPHA + 1.3patch (SDT/VCT set to 120)

I was able to scan channels nicely (668 in total) - most names showed up with 120s scan - I know with my subscription I get ~250 - a quick test to tune some of them showed skipping, stuttering and intermittent picture freeze - more test is needed of course as my HW is slow (WMC and MP1.2 works fine though) - I'll report back..

Thanks for the great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom