Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (6 Viewers)

NZOldFart

Portal Member
November 11, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi all - just a comment on RC2 and a query re HD TV. Firstly I'm not in the slightest technical so I'll apologise up front for my stupidity. I've just installed my HVR 2200 and got it going with RC2 yesterday. Firstly in RC2 - is it my imagination or is there a lot of stuff gone from MP Configuration like the keyboard shortcuts etc? As I think McrRaeNZ noted it still seems a bit buggy in the scanning of the 2200 analog tuners. There were a few crashes (crashed the whole computer not just MP) when scanning or even when adding channels manually and also when previewing newly added channels. However after rebooting they were ok. Eventually got both digital and analog tuners working.

One thing I've noted which I'm not sure is normal is that when I recorded a Prime programme last night on one of the analog tuners and I came back afterwards and went to select a channel using the channel button - it only had the analog channels and the same in the TV Guide. Was wondering what the heck was going on for a while. Eventually managed to select All Channels and brought everything back. That's a bit annoying I must say. I have the tuners combined for common Freeview and analog channels. I'd obviously just like for it always to show All Channels rather than switch to only showing analog if I've recorded something on an analog tuner.

Next question - I had previously recorded a programme in .ts format. When I updated to RC2 and imported recorded programmes into the database - all the mpeg ones showed up in Recorded TV but not the .ts one. Now I have no idea what .ts even is or if there is any special trick to replaying - any ideas? I do know that when I simply find the file in Windows Explorer I can't play it in a player - windows doesn't have a player to play it - Mpeg files will play in Windows Media Player. Anyone help out here? Oh one other question - does MP support playback of MPeg4?

Next question :D - I don't have a HD TV yet and am thinking of getting one. My video card is a Gigabyte 8600 silent which of course has the TV out with converter for either SVideo or Component. Now I assume I could obtain a DVI to HDMI converter and just go direct from the DVI port to the HDMI input on the TV (or AV Receiver)? Question is - would this be any better quality wise than using the component out? Not sure about this digital stuff (or anything else for that matter),

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
:D

eXDee

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think .ts is the normal format for mpeg4 broadcasts, ie freeview HD as your HVR-2200 tunes into. It should play in mediaportal and in WMP, providing you have the right codecs and splitter.
DVI-HDMI will work fine. It can handle 1080p video a lot better than component i think, it should look better quality.

Mantis454

October 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi, is anyone else having trouble with terrestrial TV1 and TV2. They are fine at first but after viewing them for about 10 - 15 sec the frame rate slows from 50 fps to ~38 fps. If I pause TV and play it again the frame rate goes back to 50 fps for a few seconds but slows down again. It's not too bad but is noticeably not as smooth as the other channels. This only seems to effect the progressive channels and the others (TV3, C4, TVNZ6 etc) are fine. This happens using both the PowerDVD 8 codec and CoreAVC. I'm using RC2 and an 8600GT for hardware acceleration. The hardware acceleration works fine on all channels with about 10% CPU usage. Is anyone able to help?
Thanks

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi, is anyone else having trouble with terrestrial TV1 and TV2. They are fine at first but after viewing them for about 10 - 15 sec the frame rate slows from 50 fps to ~38 fps. If I pause TV and play it again the frame rate goes back to 50 fps for a few seconds but slows down again. It's not too bad but is noticeably not as smooth as the other channels. This only seems to effect the progressive channels and the others (TV3, C4, TVNZ6 etc) are fine. This happens using both the PowerDVD 8 codec and CoreAVC. I'm using RC2 and an 8600GT for hardware acceleration. The hardware acceleration works fine on all channels with about 10% CPU usage. Is anyone able to help?
Thanks

I have the same issue - TV1 & TV2 seem to play at a consistent 37.5fps (I think the frame rate starting at 50fps is due to the MediaPortal UI being set at 50fps; switch to fullscreen tv and the 'average' starts to drop down to 37.5fps)
Anyone else? Please check fps by pressing 'shift + 1' - is anybody getting 50fps for TV1 and TV2?

Cheers

fraseyboy

Portal Pro
March 12, 2006
I just tried this on TV (ew neighbors D:) and I can confirm that it does start at about 48fps then drop by roughly 0.01fps a second. It got down to 37fps before I couldn't take watching neighbors any longer.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to check if a program is really running in HD on my system? Sometimes it doesn't look HD and I want to confirm that it really is.

jabz

July 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have treid this on mine, using Vista, EVR, 9600GT, WinTV Nova 500 getting a 50fps.
Using Cyberlink H.264 codec and monogram for audio

Shift+1 shows VMR9 then the FPS. I thought I had it in EVR mode, it certainly increases CPU load when I change it to VMR in the configuration, CPU jumps to 15-20%. Change it back to EVR CPU drops to 5%..

But regardless of that even if set to EVR showing the FPS by pressing Shift+1 it says VMR9 fps..?? what going on here?

eXDee

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hey there,
We've just got a HVR-2200 and all the other gear, and a svideo cable from sky. I also have a MCE remote which has 2 IR blasters.
Now, how does this blasting thing work? I imagine you map 'virtual channels' or something which then blast a command when you switch to them and switch input to svideo?
Also a guide i've seen for MCE shows both IR blasters put above and below the IR receiver on the STB, is this needed or can i put one on another device?
Still waiting on replacement motherboard, but i want to know what to do when im setting it all up.

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hey guys... Hey guess what if any one is interested, the new SVN seems to have fixed the H.264 gfx glitch on the AMD 770 3200HD chipsets... Um any way, does any one know how to ad tv logos to the epg guide... Thanks..

Mantis454

October 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi to add logos to the TV channels, open MediaPortal configuration, in the top left corner click on "User Config Files".
First delete the "Cache" folder then navigate to: thumbs->tv->logos
Then just copy some logos in there. Someone posted some good ones a while ago here.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom