Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (34 Viewers)

madad

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
OK cool, I'll tackle the reception issue first. I've never had a good prime picture - in fact it seems everyone in our street complains of similar and most houses have quite large UHF aerials. I'll play around with the aerial tomorrow and see if it improves the situation. Thanks for the help.

shacknasty

Portal Pro
July 14, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hey madad, You really do need to have good reception what you're describing is almost certainly a signal problem. A good way to test to check what you "Prime" picture on analog is like; if you can get a good clear picture on prime then the digital channels should work well. Also can you fill up your system specs so we can rule out a hardware/codec problem.

im still getting a similar sort of issue that i posted about a couple of pages back. tv1 and 2 are mostly green but tv3 is fine so i figure its not a reception problem.

madad

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Also I sorted out my issues - seems my motherboard (GIGABYTE MA78GM-S2H) doesn't like doing hardware accelleration. Lucky I have a quad core and the cpu barely sniffs when decoding HD! Now I have all the DVB-T channels working a treat.

Here's a quick question tho - now I have all the channels working, with a UHF aerial sitting in my room pointing at the sky tower - is it worthwhile putting it back on the roof or can I use some kind of indoor aerial successfully?

5Hundred

Portal Pro
December 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My 780G does HA no problem, key things were upgrading to Catalyst 8.7 or greater, using Vista with Aero enabled, selecting EVR renderer in Mediaportal Configration, using the PowerDVD8 codec and most importantly of all having the update for Powerdvd8 installed (link below)

Updates - CyberLink PowerDVD - Movie Playback

the last thing is what solved my green screen issues with some channels

This motherboard does actually work well it's just taken a while to get there :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My 780G does HA no problem, key things were upgrading to Catalyst 8.7 or greater, using Vista with Aero enabled, selecting EVR renderer in Mediaportal Configration, using the PowerDVD8 codec and most importantly of all having the update for Powerdvd8 installed (link below)

This motherboard does actually work well it's just taken a while to get there :)

Can you verify that you can watch Freeview TV3 with only about 5-10% cpu useage, and then switch over to watch Freeview C4/TVNZ6/TVNZ7 without any picture artifacts?

Here's a quick question tho - now I have all the channels working, with a UHF aerial sitting in my room pointing at the sky tower - is it worthwhile putting it back on the roof or can I use some kind of indoor aerial successfully?

I think you answered your own question. If you have good signal strength you can get away with indoor aerial. If you have super signal strength you can even just get away with plugging in coaxial cable and let it dangle down the back of your HTPC

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also I sorted out my issues - seems my motherboard (GIGABYTE MA78GM-S2H) doesn't like doing hardware accelleration. Lucky I have a quad core and the cpu barely sniffs when decoding HD! Now I have all the DVB-T channels working a treat.

Don't pay too much attention to software signal meters. All that counts is that you don't have any issues with picture, if you get break-ups then you've got a problem.

atisnz

Portal Member
    April 20, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi everyone, I have a strange problem with MP RC2. I was running RC1 with some freezing problems so I have decided to install RC2. Now I am not able to watch TV on RC2, nor the previously recorded TV. The codecs are aet exactly as before - using Cyberlink PDVD 8 for H264 and Monogram AAC. I'm running DVBviewer too and that seems to be just fine. Anyone has any idea what can cause this? Cheers!

madad

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Can you verify that you can watch Freeview TV3 with only about 5-10% cpu useage, and then switch over to watch Freeview C4/TVNZ6/TVNZ7 without any picture artifacts?

I think you answered your own question. If you have good signal strength you can get away with indoor aerial. If you have super signal strength you can even just get away with plugging in coaxial cable and let it dangle down the back of your HTPC

I can watch TV pretty well without hardware accelleration. I don't get any artefacts, but I know my cpu usage is higher for sure, more like 30%, so of course I'd be interested in seeing if I can get it working. I wonder if I can get it working under xp..... will do all the other updates tonight and see if it works.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom