Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (6 Viewers)

shacknasty

Portal Pro
July 14, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have decent reception but just not getting any other channels when I scan. No Parliament TV or Sports Extra.

Was wondering if it was a database issue because those 7 above are the only ones I kept in the server. Tried a full reinstall of tvserver and sql but no change

also not getting any radio

sw3go4li.jpg

mruane

Portal Pro
June 4, 2006
Wellington
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you are missing everything on the third Transmiter and that is where Parliament TV are located and the radio stations plus others. Get that resolved and you should be sweet. The bigger issue is why is that transmitter not getting a signal to you when the other two are. All of the transmitters are colocated on the same transmitter mast however the 778,000mhz signal appears to be inhibited.

Are you passing the antenna cable through a splitter that has a cutoff around 700mhz?

Sorry cannot help more. However I would be looking at cabling and amplifiers rather than the database.

PS: Just reviewing the transmitter lists and I notice that Wharite (in the Manawatu) also uses the same frequencies. You not in a location that could get some interference are you?

Cheers Mike

brena

Portal Member
May 24, 2008
Napier, Hawkes Bay
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Kiwis, can anyone please offer some advice with this problem...

Have had all NZ Freeview HD channels working great including the HD Demo channel for ages now. With Prime becoming available I scanned for new channels, found Prime, added it and while I was at it I installed Vista SP2 and some other pending Windows updates.

Now all channels work fine except TV3, TV3+1, C4 are borked! Very slow stuttering playback, sketchy sound. Unwatchable.

The HD Demo channel is fine. CPU usage is low and hardware acceleration is switched on and appears to be all good.

We are in an area where it's possible that reception isn't very strong but figure it can't be too bad if the demo channel is good.

Also before I messed things up TV3 sound was getting a bit out of sync for a few days prior. Could have been the start of the issue.

Have tried reinstalling PowerDVD 8 (for the codec) and also grabbed the latest Monogram AAC codec, and registered it Ok.
Have tried a full uninstall/reinstall of MediaPortal and fiddled around selecting different codecs in the MP config.

Still the same! Can anyone please offer a suggestion as to what may be the problem?

I'm thinking maybe it's time for a fresh windows install or is that being a bit drastic?

Thanks lots - appreciate your help!

Regards, Brena

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    sounds more like a setup/codec issue rather than a reception issue.
    you don't need to get the latest monogram aac, the one that comes bundled with MP is enough.

brena

Portal Member
    May 24, 2008
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cool I will keep trying with settings etc!

From memory TV3 and C4 are in a different format to the other channels. Is this correct? What's different when compared to say TV1 or the demo channel?

Thank for your help!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV3/C4 are interlaced, therefore this is more cpu / gpu intensive to decode. This is why i think you have a setup issue rather than a reception issue. BTW - you must use EVR renderer (Vista) under MP Config (Expert Mode) -> Directshow settings.

My recommendations (if you can be bothered)

Re-format computer
    I prefer XP SP3, but vista is fine if you use EVR
    I think you should use latest nvidia drivers (but i don't have nvidia, so not 100% sure)
    Then installl matrosov mkv splitter (aka Haali), enable avi support
    Then install unlocked SAF, latest beta version (This will give you PDVD9 H264 for HDTV)
    This codec setup will play everything sweetas within mediaportal
    Check the SAF thread for instructions
    Check your personal messages also

With regards to MP version you can choose from MP1.0 Final vs MP1.0.2 vs MP1.1 Alpha + Latest SVN
    or you could wait to MP1.1 RC1 due out in 2 weeks time. Hoborg (SAF) recommends MP1.1Alpha as it supports DXVA with subtitiles
    I imagine your video card should be fine with MP1.0.2 some low end video cards struggle (eg HD3200) with the renderer changes, but i think it's worse for XP not vista users.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...iaportal-dxva-ready-mpeg2-h-264-vc-1-a-44614/

brena

Portal Member
    May 24, 2008
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for this info - most helpful!

I did have everything working sweet for a long time until I installed Vista SP2 - same hardware etc. which is reasonable spec.

Plan to start over fresh when the new RC arrives and use sat tv for channels 3 & 4 in the meantime. Good to know there's an alternative to PDVD for h264.

Appreciate your advice!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    well actually my suggestion uses PDVD9 H264 for TV, but just the codec, no need to install the actual program.
    alternatives are CoreAVC (Software decoding, with a bit of hardware) or arcsoft codec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom