Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (7 Viewers)

Frilken

July 31, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hey Shacknasty.

I had the same issue as you here in Auckland. In my case the tp3 - 666000 was not reporting signal despite line-of-site to both the SkyTower and the Waitaks. I have just had a Aerial guy over who replaced most of my dodgy old bits and tinkered around (I had UHF, VHF and SKY dish in some unholy configuration). After much useless tuning suddently I get PRIME along with another 9 channels on TP3. I am not sure what fixed it but I would guess a dodgy connection. Not sure this helps other than to indicate signal issues rather than MediaPortal issues as mruane suggested.

riddlesnz

Portal Member
January 5, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Brena
A couple of things you could try to narrow down the fault finding
-when you are in full screen TV3 or C4, go to options then tuning details. From my experience signal quality is more important than signal strength.
-check your tv record and timeshift folders (especially if they are on the same drive). Mine slowed down a lot when they were getting full.
-Try recording TV3 or C4 while not watching it, then watch the recording. Do you get the same results?
-Have you recently moved cables around behind your HTPC? My reception suffers from a lot of interference from the masses of spaghetti behind the unit.

The only other thing I can think of is the DVB fix issued by M$oft, however I use XP and I think it only applies to that.

Good Luck

brena

Portal Member
May 24, 2008
Napier, Hawkes Bay
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi riddlesnz
Thanks for this - I will give the recording test a go and check the timeshifting settings. When scanning for channels the quality bar is right up and the demo channel is great. Yes the spaghetti is getting a tad out of control and worth a sort out. Good ideas!

Appreciate your help - thanks!

brena

Portal Member
May 24, 2008
Napier, Hawkes Bay
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
A bit of a follow up - the problem I am having with TV3, C4 and TV3+1 appears to be a reception issue. Where we are in Ahuriri, Napier, Mt Erin is the best reception - or was until Prime was enabled. I can tune in the Hospital Hill transmitter but all other channels get worse BUT TV3 and co gets about 50% better. Go figure :rolleyes:

One Tv guy I chatted to a while back was surprised we got HD at all so can't complain.

I did try just getting the problem channels from Hospital Hill which did improve things but not enough for happy HD. So based on this I better find an aerial guy to either tune up/replace our aerial install :D

Thanks again for your help. Awesome!

brena

Portal Member
May 24, 2008
Napier, Hawkes Bay
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Really glitchy - like problem pixellation and degradation of the picture every 3-4 seconds - every 7-8 seconds on other transmitter. That's why I think it's reception related.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Dicksmith have money back guarantee, buy a Terrestial Freeview HD set top box, check for reception problems, then return it with original packaging for money back. Double check when you buy it, but they usually let you return an item if it doesn't work for you.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My brother did that with video cards, a long time ago. I can't remember the model but about 1/10 of them could be flashed to equivalent video card worth double the price, he returned about 6x video cards to various stores around christchurch till he found the right one!

Technicolour

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just installed Windows Seven. (I love being a student and getting it a) Free b) Early)

If I recall correctly seven is supposed to have codecs that will support the freeview h.264 signal? But for some reason once I've set all the codecs to the Microsoft ones it doesn't want to play Live TV.

My Setup:
    Mediaportal 1.02
    Windows Seven Profressional
    StreamedMP
    4TheRecord <- I can stream all the channels fine via it's live VLC Streaming so that suggests that it can recieve the channels sweet?

Also can anyone point me to the version on comskip that I should use for Freeview HD? Cheers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom