Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (2 Viewers)

captcol

Portal Pro
June 27, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
to recieve both terrestrial and satelite you need both the dish and the aerial

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    DrMopar..
    That sounds like a pretty slick setup. Do you have both a dish and VHF arial or will just a dish. Will a dish pick up both?

Nato...Cheers, the Hauppauge cards seem to be pretty popular.

If you're not worried about analogue (so last century :D) then the Nova T500 is a cheaper option than the HVR2200 I believe, but it's PCI. I went with the HVR2200 because I only had a PCI-e slot free.

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Holy smoke that was fast. :)
    I am a complete noobie to this pc based TV viewing, recording so really I don,t know.
    I would probably try for Freeview Terrestrial but would be happy to install a dish for satellite if it meant future proofing.
    Really I want guidance or tips on how to build a system that is future proof. Starting with Tuner card - aerial setup.

I am currently using the Hauppauge Nova T 500 which is a terrestrial digital card with 2 tuners ( record 2 channels at thwe same time or record one watch another) great card.

Yes the Nova T 500 is a good card, but whilst my computer detects mine as two tuners it has only ever found channels on the second tuner. I have never been able to resolve this so have just been using it as a single tuner since I bought it last year. I tried it in two computers with the same results. Suspecting it was a faulty card I took it back the day after I bought it to the guy that supplied it and he reckons he tested it and it worked fine on both tuners, but I have my doubts as to whether he tested it properly if at all as no one has been able to give me any logical reason why it won't work on both tuners when it works perfectly on one. Getting frustrated with only having it as a single tuner I contacted Hauppauge in Singapore recently and they said I could send it to them and they would test it, but that will obviously cost me a fair bit, especially if it turns out that there is nothing wrong with it. It would be really nice to find a kind soul and Media Portal enthusiast in Christchurch that has the same card that would be willing to pop it in their computer and test it for me.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are my Graphs

Both graphs look as they are supposed to. I don't know why you have problems with AAC sound synching.
    You could try;
    1. Add ac3filter post processing to tv, see if that helps
    2. Try a different AAC codec, eg the one from HD PACK 2.2, or you could use ffdshow audio

munta

October 9, 2009
    Otago
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmmm it seems like our reception might be a bit dodgy here. We do not get good prime and that seems to be the telling factor in getting terrestrial. Poo.

Nato

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2006
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Holy smoke that was fast. :)
    I am a complete noobie to this pc based TV viewing, recording so really I don,t know.
    I would probably try for Freeview Terrestrial but would be happy to install a dish for satellite if it meant future proofing.
    Really I want guidance or tips on how to build a system that is future proof. Starting with Tuner card - aerial setup.

I am currently using the Hauppauge Nova T 500 which is a terrestrial digital card with 2 tuners ( record 2 channels at thwe same time or record one watch another) great card.

Yes the Nova T 500 is a good card, but whilst my computer detects mine as two tuners it has only ever found channels on the second tuner. I have never been able to resolve this so have just been using it as a single tuner since I bought it last year. I tried it in two computers with the same results. Suspecting it was a faulty card I took it back the day after I bought it to the guy that supplied it and he reckons he tested it and it worked fine on both tuners, but I have my doubts as to whether he tested it properly if at all as no one has been able to give me any logical reason why it won't work on both tuners when it works perfectly on one. Getting frustrated with only having it as a single tuner I contacted Hauppauge in Singapore recently and they said I could send it to them and they would test it, but that will obviously cost me a fair bit, especially if it turns out that there is nothing wrong with it. It would be really nice to find a kind soul and Media Portal enthusiast in Christchurch that has the same card that would be willing to pop it in their computer and test it for me.

Im in CHCH

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @DrMopar
    Which AAC codec are you using?

I'm using Monogram AAC. I'll try some of Kiwijunglist's suggestions as soon as I get the chance.

It seems that there are a few of us with this issue and presumably a number of users for whom it's not a problem. So we should be able to track down the common cause.

I know TV3 is the only one transmitting 1080i, perhaps it's something to do with the way they multiplex the sound which is why we're only having the problem on this one channel. But there must be something different in some of our setups that causes it to work correctly for some users but not others.

I'm in a weak reception area and get picture break up from time to time. (I'm trying to rectify this but that's another story.....) However this is mainly on TV1 (where I've never had sound sync issues) and when the sound does go out of sync on TV3 the picture is fine. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom