Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (5 Viewers)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    personally i don't see an issue with using ac3 for tv3, basically you get 5.1 sound when it's available otherwise it's just stereo over ac3.

Nato

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2006
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeh some people are fussy and set in their ways ( Me ) I like my stereo sound set to prologic and if I use your suggestion to 'Prefer Ac3' my amp picks up the dolby digital and only does Stereo (if its broadcast in Stereo) and to me this sounds is not as clear as my front speakers contain 12"" subs and muffle the speech a little.

Will post a graph soon , also I do have a strong signal.

munta

October 9, 2009
    Otago
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tuner Cards

Ok, great to see so many NZers helping each other out. Very Cool.
    I am just starting research into tuner cards. (Intend to run media portal, XP pro).
    Basically want to record and view TV at the moment. Intention is to stream TV to other rooms later.
    Anyway I am lookng for what TV Tuner setups people would recommend and why.
    I live in Dunedin.
    If this sort of info is listed somewhere else could you just drop me a link please.

Cheers.

captcol

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you hoping t o look for terrestrial tv or Satelite, Freeview or analogue

If satelite the nova-s plus from hauppauge works well, analogue used to be the hauppage 500 mce and terrestrial freeview I have no idea. I will be buying another nova-s plus shortly and selling of my hauppauge 500 as with two sat tuners I can pretty much watch and record everything on freeview if I want.

Give us more info and we can help more

Omen

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    what card you get depends on a few things, like does your house have a satellite dish? do you want to record more than 1 channel at once?

personally i've got a hauppauge hvr 4000, i've had no issues with it yet, but you can't use both tuners simultaneously, so it may not be the card for you. when i get a second card though i'll be going for a hauppauge hvr 2200
    Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-HVR-2200 MC

then i'll be able to record 2 dvbt-channels simultaneously whilst watching a 3rd satellite or terrestrial channel... not to mention i'll get less conflicts from flat mates trying to watch a different channel in their room via tv server

munta

October 9, 2009
    Otago
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Holy smoke that was fast. :)
    I am a complete noobie to this pc based TV viewing, recording so really I don,t know.
    I would probably try for Freeview Terrestrial but would be happy to install a dish for satellite if it meant future proofing.
    Really I want guidance or tips on how to build a system that is future proof. Starting with Tuner card - aerial setup.

Nato

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2006
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am a complete noobie to this pc based TV viewing, recording so really I don,t know.
    I would probably try for Freeview Terrestrial but would be happy to install a dish for satellite if it meant future proofing.
    Really I want guidance or tips on how to build a system that is future proof. Starting with Tuner card - aerial setup.

I am currently using the Hauppauge Nova T 500 which is a terrestrial digital card with 2 tuners ( record 2 channels at thwe same time or record one watch another) great card.

Nato

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2006
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeh some people are fussy and set in their ways ( Me ) I like my stereo sound set to prologic and if I use your suggestion to 'Prefer Ac3' my amp picks up the dolby digital and only does Stereo (if its broadcast in Stereo) and to me this sounds is not as clear as my front speakers contain 12"" subs and muffle the speech a little.

Will post a graph soon , also I do have a strong signal.

Here are my Graphs

Attachments

• AAC Audio.jpg
      AAC Audio.jpg
      183.1 KB
    • AC3 Sound.jpg
      AC3 Sound.jpg
      176.5 KB

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Hi, I'm running an HVR4000 and an HVR2200. The 2200 has dual DVB-T tuners allowing you to record two transponders at once. The HVR4000 is a hybrid which means you can record one DVB-T or one DVB-S at a time. With my setup I can therefore record all available DVB-T channels at once (if only there was something on worth watching!) and/or record channels from two of the DVB-T transponders whilst grabbing the EPG off the satellite. This works really well for me and means I never have any recording conflicts.

The HVR4000 is a PCI card and the HVR2200 is PCI-e so it also depends on what slots you have available in your motherboard.

At this stage HD is only available on terrestrial and Mediaportal can only read the Freeview EPG off the satellite although there are apps available for importing the EPG in from the Net.

munta

October 9, 2009
    Otago
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    DrMopar..
    That sounds like a pretty slick setup. Do you have both a dish and VHF arial or will just a dish. Will a dish pick up both?

Nato...Cheers, the Hauppauge cards seem to be pretty popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom