Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

Edwood

Portal Pro
September 16, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
if you need to convert .ts -> h264 .mkv or other format then handbrake is free and awesome.
from what i have read its better to convert to the desired format and then split/edit the video

Hi Nato.

Long short, the donater version of Comskip works fine if you you're going to watch the recordings in MP.

I have an outstanding action to make a post about this... but that's the short answer.

I use all the default settings except i changed this parameter in the comskip.ini file.
padding=3

Its not perfect, but it works for most shows I'm recording.

Also, contrary to what most posts say, the Comskip data is now used when I'm watching recorded TV via 'recorded TV'.

Nato

Portal Pro
April 18, 2006
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
works fine for me on c4 rips
these are my settings

Start with Basic:Normal preset, then customise as follows

Output = mkv

Pic settings:

Crop = Auto
Anamorphic = None
Filters = Decomb (This will deinterlace if necessary automatically)
Detelcine = No
Deinterlace = No
Denoise = None
Deblock = off

Video:

Codec = h264
FPS = Same as source
Grayscale = No
2 Pass = Yes, Turbo = Yes
avg bitrate = 1500
constant qual = 0%

Audio:

Source = Automatic
Audio codec = AAC
Mixdown = Stereo
Sample rate = Auto
Bitrate = 160
DRC = 1

EDIT: I use mkvmerge to split recordings post handbraking

THANKS !!!
Followed your Handbrake settings and woking now , I have changed to AVI / MPEG4 as I can load the converted file into Virtualdub and cut the ads easily.

Edwood

Portal Pro
September 16, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hmmm... clearly I kninda missed th point here.

Kiwijunglist - I've not been able to get Handbrake working... I can't remember why... I will try again, with your settings, and see if I can remember to post this time.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I havn't used handbrake much, so I'm no expert. I just know that those settings worked for me for C4. Havn't tried with the other freeview channels.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There should be an easier way to simply chop out the ads without reencoding. I am often joining m2ts files together from my HD camcorder using TSSplitter and then TSRemux. There should be some way to cut the video into separate files either side of the ads, and join them together again. I'm not sure what is required to do this through.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ....There should be some way to cut the video into separate files either side of the ads, and join them together again. I'm not sure what is required to do this through.

VideoReDo Plus does that :) You can go through a whole programme (the "ad detective" is usually reasonably accurate then I fine tune from there), delete the ads then save as one file :) Works with standard Freeview (i.e. not HD) .ts recordings but I don't think it works with HD recordings so you'd have to reformat first (I guess).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    most people recommend compress to different format then cut/split. however there is 1x cutter/joiner app that works well with HD h264 dvb-t .ts, you'd have to search to find the name.

shacknasty

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There should be an easier way to simply chop out the ads without reencoding.

i also mentioned h264cutter on the last page which works with all freeviewnz channels and does not require compressing first

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There should be an easier way to simply chop out the ads without reencoding.

i also mentioned h264cutter on the last page which works with all freeviewnz channels and does not require compressing first

I tried H264 cuter, i get no sound. Is this normal?

Also i get the following error/dialog box come up when i load C4 .ts recording

* No IDR-Frame in TS
    * It seems in this TS is no IDR-Frame
    * It is necessary to set Cut-In to I-Frame and Out-Frame to B even
    * All-Frame.
    * Option -> Settings -> Advanced
    * [OK]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom