Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (2 Viewers)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

I have a PVR150 dual Analog Tuner and a Nova 500-T dual Digital tuner, but now that everything in NZ worth watching is on digital and I'm often wanting to watch / record a 3rd channel, I'm thinking about upgrading my PVR150 card to another digital card.

Can anybody give me a bit of advice on the best card to buy please - assuming I keep my Nova 500-T card.

I also get quite a bit of shudder at the moment - unsure if this is the Nova 500-T card or the graphics card - I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 3850 graphics card.

I'm also having issues with the "Unable To Start Timeshifting - No Free Card Available" error on the NOVA 500-T - often after S3 sleep resume.

Any help appreciated on the above.

Cheers

Graham

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
June 19, 2007
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi gperkinson,

Here's my advice for the novat-500, after many months getting angry at it.

You will need to re-start tv-service after sleep to get the card to work, generally speaking. I use MPStandbyHandler to do this, and has fixed that issue.

You shouldn't need a new tuner card, you can record multiple things at the same time with the two tuners it comes with. You can record as many channels on the same mux as you want. I.e 1 & 2, TVnz6, tvnz7, and others, the 3 & 4. Essentially you can only record from two groups at the same time, so if you wanted to do a tvnz channel, a mediaworks channel, and a kordia channel you would have issues. I find that I can generally record what I want, even with that limitation. (ive recorded up to about 5 channels at once before...)

I had many issues with a ATI HD card originally, then got it swapped to a nvidia 8400, which is quite a basic spec card, but works better than my ATI did with watching tv.

Unsure which codec you are using, but im getting best result from the PowerDVD9 one. Have tried PDVD8, and CoreAVC, and definitely get best results with PDVD9. Its probably becauseit has support for the CUDA (?) on the nvidia card. CoreAVC does now to, but I found it not as smooth, and had the stuttering. Since shifting to this configuration my cpu is down from about 50-80% for recording to about 5-10%, check cpu usage when watching TV

Hope that helps.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    sorry i reread your post, so you already have PVR150 and NOVA-T, not sure why you would want additional hardware, would go with above advice.
    With regard to stutter, you should press shift+! to get specs. Also check CPU useage during live TV.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I just found a pretty cool app for the iPhone called "airvideo"...... It allows you to stream pretty much any video and watch it on the phone.

So far it works great for tv shows and dvd backups....

Next I thought it would be cool to try and stream MP recorded content. Some of the shows work perfectly which is awesome.... But quite a few have no sound.... If anyone out there has an iPhone it'd be super cool if you could help me out and test the app on your phone and see if you can watch recorded content....

They do have a free version of the app in the app store.

The maker of airvideo has looked at some log files and claims that the recorded video files seem to be corrupt and that is why there is no audio.... However I have no problem playing them through lovely mediaportal.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Regarding the use of PowerDVD9, I heard Cyberlink removed the ability in v9 for 3rd party apps like MP to utilize their H264 codec. I'm using PDVD8. Have they reversed that descision in later builds?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    He's probably using the version of PDVD9 H264 codec included in HD PACK2.2 or unlocked SAF.

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
    June 19, 2007
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Correct, I got the codec from the CLVD-Pack, also includes PDVD8 and 7 codecs.

If you install this, ensure you use PDVD8 as the Mpeg-2 codec, as the PDVD9 codec destroys mine (and others) ability to use the menus on DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom