Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (13 Viewers)

stevied20

Portal Pro
June 7, 2010
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Kia Ora,

I am just setting up a new media PC using MP and i really would love to put in a freeview digital TV card, can i get some advice on which model i should get that would work well in NZ (Christchurch). I am a bit of a rookie so need baby steps, I only have a roof aerial and not a satellite dish.

Many thanks

Steve

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Kia Ora,

I am just setting up a new media PC using MP and i really would love to put in a freeview digital TV card, can i get some advice on which model i should get that would work well in NZ (Christchurch). I am a bit of a rookie so need baby steps, I only have a roof aerial and not a satellite dish.

Many thanks

Steve

I use the hauppage nova TD-500. Works well in Chch, where my HVR-2200 choked. Recommended if you don't need analog as well.

Re: Blu-ray optical drive

Anyone already using one they would recommend?

Any ideas/opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Bleazle

I use the LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray.

No problems with it, PowerDVD 8 ultra player.

stevied20

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2010
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Dale,

Can you recommend anywhere too buy this card in CHCH (Dove?) and how much do they cost?

Also, i take it that the analogue co axial aerial is the connection i require and the card will do the rest.

Sorry if i am way off, very new to this.

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Dale,

Can you recommend anywhere too buy this card in CHCH (Dove?) and how much do they cost?

Also, i take it that the analogue co axial aerial is the connection i require and the card will do the rest.

I ordered from Ascent technology in Wellington.

TV tuners - Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500 TV Tuner, FM Radio, Internal, PCI, HD Ready

You need a UHF aerial for digital terrestrial. Your cable should have a male F-Type connector into the TV/card.

This card works well with my Vista OS + purchased powercinema codec. If you have Windows 7 I think you shold be fine for playback in media center. The card comes with a MC remote and IR receiver, but I don't use these as I have a harmony 525.

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    no problem here with switching channels on rc4, (dvb-s)

does anyone know why on TV3+1, (no other channels) there are white dashes on the top left hand side of the frame?

dvbkiwi

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All

I'm about to update my system and I've finally worked out the hardware I want but I'm not sure about the OS - stick with XP or buy Windows 7? I think I saw somewhere that the GPU I've decided on (Sapphire Radeon HD5670) takes advantage of some feature W7 has which has something to do with graphics processing (obviously) but do I need that?

Re: TV

I'm currently running a Nova-S Plus & Technisat Skystar2 DVB-S tuner, I had 2 Technisat tuners but one of them died - I'm thinking of ditching the remaining Technisat and getting another Nova-S Plus because the TV part of my HTPC is crap - never mind the WAF, I'm over this thing - you go to watch TV and it's a lucky draw as to whether or not anything will come up :mad: Anyone got any opinions on this? (I'm sticking with DVB-S at the moment because it looks like I can't get DVB-T where I am)

Re: Blu-ray optical drive

Anyone already using one they would recommend?

Any ideas/opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Bleazle

Hi Bleazle,

I'm using the Saphire 5450HD on WinXP with MP 1.0.2. I tried using Win7 but there were too many compatibility issues with MP1.0.2 and my remotes in Win7, with the MS remote and the Snapstream firefly remotes had issues, I eventually sorted out the issues with the snapstream remote but the MS remote never worked the way I wanted it to work on MP1.0.2.

I use Win7 for many things now but still use WinXP for MP, I guess Win7 supports DX10 but then the question is, does MP take advantage of the benefits of DX10?

As for your tuner card, I guess the Nova-S+ is the way to go or the HVR3300 if you want a PCIX card. I like to keep things simple so generally don't mix my tuner cards.

Good luck with your new Build, hope it works out well, I'm sure we will all benefit from what you learn during the process.

thesystemera

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just wanted to mention that if you are planning to use Windows 7... Might be best if you hold on the Nova TD for a few weeks, currently assisting Hauppauge with Beta drivers as there has been hundreds of reports concerning visual artefacts and poor signal level with the more recent Nova TDs revisions. This has been well documented on Windows 7 64bit edition.

As stated I'm involved in helping them resolve this problem as I've build a few machines all using the same specifications on both Windows 7 and Vista... (Vista has no trouble driver wise) and as having more than one machine allows for comparative logs etc.

So yeah, it is a great card, but just be warned that the issue might still be around for the immediate future.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    no problem here with switching channels on rc4, (dvb-s)

does anyone know why on TV3+1, (no other channels) there are white dashes on the top left hand side of the frame?

I think this is the way it is broadcasted, my (very limited, and possibly incorrect) understanding is most TV sets actually end up croping a small amount of the picture around the edges, so you don't normally see this, however HTPC doesn't crop anything. If you want to crop out the white dashes hit F9 then adjust the top crop, but you will loose 1:1 pixel mapping.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys - I'll let you know how I get on with the new build.

On another note, over the weekend I installed a demo version of Artrage (ArtRage Home) on my HT TouchSmart touchscreen (review is here if you haven't already seen it: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/bleazle-311/hp-touchsmart-5-minute-review-82016/) and it's awesome! My kids (2 boys, 11 & 13) can literally "paint" on the screen using a real paintbrush, they love it :) The youngest is off school sick today and he's spent a fair bit of time working on a "painting" which hasn't resulted in any mess - you've gotta love that! :D So if you've got a touchscreen lying around I recommend having a play with Artrage.

Bleazle

Neville

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Dale,

Can you get analogue prime witha clear picture? If you can then DVB-T tis already up and running with you arial and you should just be able to plugin the arial and be done....
    I also have Hauppauge Nove DT 500 and have no major problems...

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom