Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (1 Viewer)

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@thekiwi - sweet - knew it wasn't 4TRecords fault :)

mkvtoolnix -- Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

Run mkvmerge and drag your file to top or bottom pane, then hit the start muxing, should take less than a minute, voila mkv...

Did that - actually it didn't work with the files I wanted to convert but I tried another one and that worked so I'm using it as my test file...

...you need the x86 version even if running x64, then use radlight filter manager to register what you want.

Think I did that - registered the filters manually as per the info in the link I posted above - all went OK (I registered the x64 splitter file but not the x86 file though - didn't think I needed to do register both of those?).

Opened radlight, went to the MP Video codec and selected "normal" (tried "preferred" too but same result, as follows) - there's no "save" button but I guess it did something.

Restarted.

Opened MP, went to play the original MP4 file (just in case doing this had magically helped play it - it hadn't) Went to play the MKV file and got this:

Unable to play....
Video Codec: AVC
Audio Codec: AAC Vercion 4LC

... and my "love affair" with codecs continues :mad:

The "funny" thing is that BOTH of these files play without any problems through MP on my client which is the same set-up as my HTPC (windows 7, Power DVD10 - only difference is that it's running RC3 and the HTPC is running RC4) EXCEPT I have installed the K-Lite codec pack on it...

...so maybe the codec pack is the cheap, nasty but easy fix?

...or maybe it would be great if this stuff was just easier in MP - like there was some code that said "hey, this file can be played outside MP so stop dicking with it and just play it!!!" - that would be great!!! :D

Have I done something wrong which is glaringly obvious?

Cheers

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @thekiwi - sweet - knew it wasn't 4TRecords fault :)
    I tell ya, when you have to get by without 4TR you realise just how good a Plugin it is.
    Everything from managing recordings based on title to even using the Web Page interface to check recordings. I was floundering! :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Beazle - You might even want to try just renaming the extension from .mp4 -> .mkv this can suprisingly work.

EDIT: ooo i see you have already converted with only partial success.

BTW - MP is X86 program so all filters/codecs/splitters have to be X86, it wont work with anything 64bit.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...BTW - MP is X86 program so all filters/codecs/splitters have to be X86, it wont work with anything 64bit.

Aaahh OK, I think I only registed the x64 splitter (no idea what this stuff means by the way!) so when I can get the wife away from the TV I'll give it a go with the x86 version, cheers. As an aside, your "Guide to the music section of MP" is great work :D

@thekiwi - I hear that - 4TR has saved my bacon plenty of times - eg. one of my sons loves Dr. Who so I have it set to record anything with "Dr. Who" in the title - gotta love it when he comes home after a weekend away and asks if I remembered to record it - "sure son, of course I did" :D (most of the time I didn't even know it had been on :) )

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    x86 = 32bit

....because that makes sense! Yeah right! (thanks for the info though :) )

Turns out that it wasn't working earlier because I'd used the wrong splitter - all good now, so thanks Paranoid Delusion & kiwijunglist (thanks button has been hit!!! :) )

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds good! Be good to have a MP expert in our midst too :) When are you shifting up this way? Tommy was trying to arrange another get together but it seems to have stalled - we may as well until summer now I guess...

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    More codec issues....

OK... here we go again...

So as of yesterday evening MKV files were playing file in MP :) Then this morning I tried playing a file which I didn't realise was in MPG format - it didn't play - jammed up MP - Task Manager to the rescue :rolleyes:

Naturally I wanted to see if the same file would play "outside of" MP - double clicked on it from explorer and the Windows Media Player "first use" dialogue came up - I pretty much said no to everything and left the file extension settings as they were - then the file played without a problem (in windows media player). Checked the file in MP again, but it still jammed everything.

No big deal, I haven't got too many MPG files so I figured I'd convert the two I was looking at to .MKV and they would play fine - right? Wrong :rolleyes: I converted the files, tried playing them in MP and they won't play - in fact now NONE of my MKV files will play - WTF? I haven't changed anything to do with codecs or file asssociations so what's going on this time?

Note: The MKV files still play fine outside of MP using Power DVD :rolleyes:

Note 2: I've just found out that NO video files (including recorded TV) will play now :mad:

EDIT: Note 3: The same thing happened when I tried updating my ATI drivers last week - thought I'd mention that just in case someone can see a common "theme" going on here (I ended up going back to a previous backup because I couldn't get anything to play)

System info:
    Windows 7 (64)
    MP RC4

This stuff drives me nuts. I could do a roll back to a previous image but unfortunately I didn't make a backup last night - duh! but who would've known that trying to play one file could cause so many problems? :rolleyes:

Once again any advice from the experts out there would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers

Pommedan

Portal Member
    March 30, 2009
    Dunedin
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: More codec issues....

Hi Bleazle

I had the same problem a while back. Sometimes updates for graphic cards, codecs (like divx) and even things like nokia pc suite can mess up the merits for codecs. My PC was overrun with emuzed codecs from nokia pc suite and MP just wouldnt play anything even though different codecs were selected in the Video Player (internal) in mediaportal config. To my knowledge there are a few ways to solve this:

1. Use Graphedit to find what videos are using for codecs if there are broken links for sound or video - the codec is wrong. Check what codec (the wrong one) its using and try deleting it - usually through an uninstall program. - In my case emuzed codec (checked on google - it came from nokia pcsuite) - deleted pc suite - MP working

2. If you cant delete/uninstall/find the rogue codec try to update the preffered codec you were using before say.. divx. (if there is no update available, uninstall divx and re-install it) Most codec installs will make themselves the preffered codec (or have the highest merit) - try MP Again

3) If this fails, download filmerit - with this you can check the merits of codecs and set them to be preffered. This can screw up your system so read any instructions carefully. You may need to reboot a few times. to set the merits in place. You will need to downgrade any codec merits if there are more than one with the highest number - so it may take a bit of searching through your codecs.

4) if you set the Merits correctly with filmerit try MP again. If still not working. select Automatic decoder settings tickbox on the codec settings, videos page in configuration. This will force MP to use the merits you set in filmerit.

There are other ways of doing it but see how you go with these. I dont think you should blame MP but blame the codecs.

Cheers

Oh BTW im using MP1.0.0 final so the MP config may have changed a bit since then

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom