Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (1 Viewer)

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Which codecs are you using, and do you have "prefer AC3" enabled? I was getting that when TVNZ first started broadcasting AC3/DD, but now the problem seems to have resolved itself. I'm using Monogram for HE-AAC and AC3Filter 1.63b for MPEG/AC3 audio with prefer AC3 enabled.
    mm
    I do have Prefer AC3 enabled. I'm using MPC-MPA audio decoder for MPEG/AC3 and MONOGRAM AAC. It would be switching from AC3 to AAC when going from an HD to SD channel.

I just checked the MPC-MPA settings in MP Config and I had the Dynamic Range Control ticked everywhere. I unchecked these checkboxes and that has resolved the problem. It sounds like a bug in MP's implementation since changing to an AAC channel shouldn't have anything to do with the AC# decoder.

Anyway, resolved, thanks.

valtam

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2010
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey fellow Kiwis, long time no post :D

I'm about to switch to a 2 x LNB Optus D1, D2 set up on a 90cm dish. Any quirks or known issues surrounding this type of set up?
    Is there anyone who has this set up or can offer an easy howto on setting this up on Mediaportal?
    I know my way around Mediaportal, I'm just hoping its not going to be a troublesome setup as far as performing the initial scan for the below channels. Out of all the research I've done to date, these are the channels I'm looking to add:

Optus D1:
    The usual Freeview channels
    Trackside 12671H 22500
    SBS 12646V 12600

Optus D2:
    Russia Today 12734V 22500
    NHK 12545V 22500
    SCTV 12608H 22500
    Press TV 12706V 22500

Thank you :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi valtam

I'm about to switch to a 2 x LNB Optus D1, D2 set up on a 90cm dish. Any quirks or known issues surrounding this type of set up?
    Only two that I know of:
    - It is best to use LNBs with the same LO frequency. You can work around the issue if necessary but it is nicer not to have to do so.
    - If you're going to use a DiSEqC switch then make sure that MediaPortal supports DiSEqC switching for your tuner(s). Hauppauge Nova S Plus tuners should be fine, *however* I have heard that their 22 kHz tone generator is "fragile". I have one here that will tune fine except it can't control a DiSEqC or 22k switch. I hope your tuners both work.

Might I ask: how do you plan to switch between or combine the signals from the LNBs and how many tuners/receivers are you feeding?

Is there anyone who has this set up or can offer an easy howto on setting this up on Mediaportal?
    Yes, I have D1 + D2 + C1/D3 on a 90cm dish here. It depends on what kind of switch/multiplexer you use. With a DiSEqC setup there is really almost nothing different to a regular single LNB setup - you just set up two satellite rows and select the appropriate DiSEqC option and satellite for each row. I can advise in detail once you let us know what kind of switch/multiplexor you're going to use.

I know my way around Mediaportal, I'm just hoping its not going to be a troublesome setup as far as performing the initial scan for the below channels.
    It won't be troublesome as long as you plan the dish setup well. You're going to need a multiswitch of some description to enable reception of both satellites on both your tuners (and any other receivers) because you want to receive both polarities from both satellites. You can't just split the signal to multiple receivers like with a terrestrial aerial (I guess you know that but just in case...).

mm
    :)

valtam

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2010
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm1352000 said:
    Hi valtam

Might I ask: how do you plan to switch between or combine the signals from the LNBs and how many tuners/receivers are you feeding?

Hi MM, thanks for your reply, really appreciate it :) I think the installer said he was including a switch of some sort, would this be it? How is this usually handled?

I've always ran a 1 LNB Optus D1 set up, so this is the first time I've ever run 2 x LNB's so my knowledge in this area is a big fat zero :(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Hi MM, thanks for your reply, really appreciate it :)
    No problem. :)

I think the installer said he was including a switch of some sort, would this be it?
    Yes, that would be it.

How is this usually handled?
    Well, it very much depends on your requirements. There are too many options to list really, but the more receivers/tuners and more satellites/polarities, the more the costs go up. Costs quoted are switch and LNB costs only based on the Freeviewshop prices.

Options

4 polarities + 1 tuner
    For a one tuner/receiver setup two single output LNBs like this and a 22k switch like this or DiSEqC switch like this would be perfect. Just plug the outputs from the LNBs into the switch and the output from the switch into the tuner and away you go. If you tried to split the output from either of those to multiple tuners then you would have issues because (1) all tuners would have to be content with receiving from the same satellite (ie. no Freeview + RT at the same time) and (2) all tuners would have to be content with receiving from the same polarity at the same time (ie. no Freeview + SBS at the same time; same for RT + SCTV).
    ~$20

2 polarities + 4 tuners
    A switch something like this. However that option is not ideal either. It will allow you to deliver two satellite polarities to four receivers. In other words, with the two single output LNBs you could have either Freeview + RT at the same time (and miss out on SBS and SCTV) or SCTV + SBS at the same time (and miss out on RT and Freeview) on any of the four receivers. The combination of channels that you receive would depend on which input you connect each LNB to. Freeview + SBS and RT + SCTV would not be possible and you'd have to switch cables manually to get the opposite combination.
    ~$135

Alternatively, if you had a twin output LNB like this you could get the Freeview + SBS or RT + SCTV combinations, however you still can't get Freeview, SBS, RT and SCTV all together to allow any tuner to receive any channel at any time.
    ~$125

4 polarities + 2 tuners
    If you've only got two tuners then the next best option is to get two twin LNBs and two 22k or DiSEqC switches. That would allow all the channels you mentioned to be received by both tuners/receivers, and either tuner/receiver could get any channel at any time.
    ~$180

4 polarities + 4 tuners
    If you are connecting 3 or 4 tuners then the best option is to get two twin LNBs and a multiswitch like this. That would allow all the channels you mentioned to be received by up to four tuners/receivers, and any tuner/receiver could get any channel at any time.
    ~$220

I hope that all made sense and that you understand how important the switch and LNB choice is. If it were me I would make it explicitly clear to the installer what you need in terms of (1) receivers and (2) channels (or polarities). Unfortunately all of the above options will require a little tweaking of MediaPortal's tuning details because they rely on 22 k switches (which are built-in to LNBs in Europe) - I can help with that. There is another switch option that is more expensive again (this) but the cost does not justify the time saving in my opinion.

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...I should have also said that although you'd have to fiddle with the tuning details, the same would also be true in WMC, DVBViewer and other software too. The reason for the fiddling is the use of 22 kHz with all of those switches (except the DiSEqC switch). It is not usually possible to turn that on or off independently because of the existence of "universal" LNBs. That may not make much sense but I did want to mention it...

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This topic will interest me in a couple of months when we move to a house which has no satellite dish. We use DVB-T currently and I have no experience with satellite reception at all. I plan to install a dish to get the most free channels as possible. I purchased a dual DVB-S2 tuner recently (BGT3600) for the HTPC.

How many polarities are used in the satellites NZ can access? I thought there were only 2. It sounds like a dual LNB is best and run 2 coaxes. I also want DVB-T for HD freeview channels. I'm hoping I can combined this on one of the 2 runs of coax ?

Cheers.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi rlevis

I plan to install a dish to get the most free channels as possible.
    Probably go for D1 and D2 then... or maybe IS5 or IS8.

I purchased a dual DVB-S2 tuner recently (BGT3600) for the HTPC.
    Yeah, that's a nice card. :)

How many polarities are used in the satellites NZ can access? I thought there were only 2.
    2 per satellite in most cases. Sometimes it is only worth using one though (like for Optus D3/C1) so you can possibly ignore it and save the switch input for another satellite. My post referred to polarities because it was the easiest term to use - perhaps "bands" would have been a better term to use.

It sounds like a dual LNB is best and run 2 coaxes.
    In my opinion, yes - one per satellite if both polarities from the satellite are important to you, otherwise a single output LNB would suffice. I have 3 dual output LNBs running into a multiswitch that also accepts a terrestrial aerial input. This allows me to get satellite, terrestrial digital, terrestrial analog and FM all in one cable and split it to 8 receivers. This is my multiswitch here (the picture shows a slightly newer revision).

I also want DVB-T for HD freeview channels. I'm hoping I can combined this on one of the 2 runs of coax ?
    Yes, you can. Either buy a diplexer to mix the DVB-T signal into the cable from the LNB or buy a multiswitch that allows you to mix it in.

mm

stevied20

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2010
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I need some help please, i have just done a fresh install of Win 7 from XP Media Edition as i was having trouble with a new GPU i had installed, cut a long story short fresh install of MP 1.2.1 + TV server and everything was running better than ever, not a single crash (XP was crashing 3/4 times a day) I still have loads to set up but the bulk is running great. Then.......
    I set up a home group using my laptop (Win7) with the HTPC, and after some firewall issues it looked like i had sorted and i was able to access and play media from the HTPC, then when i started MP for the first time since the HG set up i noticed the TV wasn't working it was as if the card didn't exist. When i went to TV server config i was faced with a window i had never seen before, asking which SQL server i wanted to use, and asking for a password.
    I have always seen the usual config window and so i was thrown......i am sure there is a simple solution......I expect the HG (homegroup) settings have caused an issue.
    Any ideas on where to go next as i have no TV.

Steve (Chch) PS My System specs are up too date

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Steve

TV Server uses a database to store channel and programme info with various other settings. The window is asking you for the connection parameters for the database. You would have originally had to set that up when you first installed so it seems strange that the info would suddenly be lost. Try turning off the firewall temporarily and then restarting the TV Server.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom