Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hey there tufkato.. I don't see a vid card in your system details... you do have one right? (I mean, not the onboard)

Tufkato

Portal Member
    May 5, 2013
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Nope onboard, after much deliberation and research:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/4_HTPC/HTPC_Hardware/Video_Cards_(GPUs)/Intel_-_Onboard_GPUs

Plus all stations view just fine under WinTV. Reluctant to go out and spend another $100ish on a vid card that may or may not solve the issue, adding more heat and noise to the box. I mean if it comes down to it, and all other options are exhausted, then sure, but it has been said that this GPU should be perfectly adequate, It's not exactly a 1Ghz pentium box, its all like 3.3Ghz, sata3 drives with NCQ, fast as DRAM etc, I'd be quite disapointed if it was infact not capeable with the current HW config.

Also why does TV3 (HD) look mint, and TVone (HD) TV2 (HD) not, along with U (SD) and TVonePlus1 (SD) occasionally? surely if it was the GPU not being capable it would not be capable on TV3, or indeed under WinTV? also why are the TVNZ SD chans all screwy sometimes?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also press SHIFT+1 to enable the OSD while watching tv, and then post a screenshot by pressing CTRL+print screen and paste the screenshot into MS paint and upload it.

justinbyoung

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2010
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking at your specs I don't think it would be a video decoding issue, you are much more likely to see problems with TV3 if your video decoding is not up to the task. To me it looks more like poor signal strength/quality.

While watching a TVNZ program hit the info button (assuming you have an MCE remote) select tuning details and have a look at the signal quality level. I have low signal strength but my signal quality sits at 100% constantly.

Ok so I have read through and searched, for hours, have tried several things, but have yet to fix this: My TVNZ picture is jumpy and pixelated, worse on TV2 than TV1 and sometimes affects the TVNZ SD chans as well, mostly U and TVonePlus1 but to a much lesser extent.

Please help!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have a feeling that the signal strength indicator is not actually accurate or useful. Would be more interest in the logs or if you also have signal glitches when using your regular tv to view FreeviewHD

PS. It's nicer to put your system specs under system specs rather than your sig :)

Last edited:

Tufkato

Portal Member
    May 5, 2013
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wow OK everything sorted itself out!

I can only guess that mm1352000 may have been correct: It was a signal issue, the weather was real bad when it wasnt working, and must have been enought to lower the signal on the TVNZ xmitter (always they seem to have the weaker signal) to cause problems on this box! the aerial isn't great but it is a 'proper' one, just resonator and reflector, no directors so not high gain!

We are moving this weekend, and I made note that the new house (just up the road) has a crazy high gain aerial, so hopefully even when the next weather bomb hits we can still watch TVNZ, thanks for all your help and suggestinos guys, I did learn some things.

The Codec is the standard LAV that Media Portal likes to use, with the Intel HW acceleration turned on.

That Shift 1 thing throws up some interesting stuff! it does seem to drop more frames on TV2 than any other channel, though at worst only like 100 out of 8000 or so

Ta all!

bopfrog

Portal Pro
    August 20, 2008
    Bay of Plenty
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but direct me where if not (posting it here as I live in NZ - Tauranga). I'm looking at setting up TVs in 4 rooms and I want similar functionality that MP gives me on our own system, in each of the 4 rooms. Each needs to be run interdependently, but I want to be able to supply video etc from one area (NAS or similar I think). Would like to hear suggestions, other ways I might do this, or someone who does this for a living near Tauranga??? Would like to run sky in some form as well - currently just do freeview. Can I do this with MP as it is the only things that seems to offer access to video, audio, net etc... Thank for any help/thoughts.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi yes you can.

I would recommend to make a central server which will be used for NAS + Recording TV + Streaming TV to the clients.

The reason is:
    1. You mentioned needing a NAS anyway, so why not build a NAS
    2. Instead of buying 4x tuners you can use 1x tuner card
    3. If you are not putting tuners in the small PCs then you can buy smaller cases.
    4. All 4x PCs can access the same set of recorded tv.

The server can run on old hardware. eg Pentium 4 CPU, 2GB ram, etc... When you send the tv to the clients it doesn't need to be transcoded that's why you don't need a powerful PC. The server PC needs to run windows, recommend win7.

Mediaportal tv-server will run on the NAS/old PC.
    The 4x bedroom PCs will run MediaPortal client.
    1x Dual tuner card will be enough to give all the freeview channels to all clients at the same time as well as record all freeview channels at once. (because freeview only uses 2x MUX - (I think)

I should mention the disadvantage of having tv tuner in a separate server PC is that channel change takes an extra 1-2 sec, and starting tv takes an extra 1-2 sec. (At least it does for me, some other people might not have this problem, can probably be fixed but i mostly watch live tv on my server anyway)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom