Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Intersting, How many clients do you have? (can PM if sensitive)

Last edited:

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Only 2 at the moment, lounge and office. Will eventually run all bedrooms and lounge from the system. Only gets sensitive if I start talking about the decryption method and sharing... so if we steer clear from that we're good to carry on here.

Edit: As it is on a dedicated device, I have no idea of the client limits... I'd imagine there quite large.

Last edited:

bopfrog

Portal Pro
    August 20, 2008
    Bay of Plenty
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Raspberry Pi's with XBMC with TVServer as back end is really the only cheap way of getting a small client, and even then it really is quite poor for TV services. Your best bet is fusion based mITX systems... but they won't be cheap for all the rooms.

Edit: Agree with Kiwi above :)[DOUBLEPOST=1373097699][/DOUBLEPOST]How soon are you going to be doing this? Gigabyte have an AMD unit that is similar in size to the Intel NUCs but should be a lot cheaper, that might be of benefit.

Aiming to have things up and running by December. We are renovating that area of the house, so will have easy access for rewiring etc, so want to make best use of the opportunity.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok, that could be good timing... These new units will be small and back of TV mountable... Look up the Intel NUC for comparison.

Make sure you star wire the house, dual cat 6 to each room from a central place... I've just done that it has worked wonders, router, modem switches all in one place with the server... Perhaps build a small rack and get a full on ATX rack with lots of bay slots... a custom built NAS :)

bopfrog

Portal Pro
    August 20, 2008
    Bay of Plenty
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok, that could be good timing... These new units will be small and back of TV mountable... Look up the Intel NUC for comparison.

Make sure you star wire the house, dual cat 6 to each room from a central place... I've just done that it has worked wonders, router, modem switches all in one place with the server... Perhaps build a small rack and get a full on ATX rack with lots of bay slots... a custom built NAS :)

Yes - we have a small store room where I plan to centralise all the IT components.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Benoire - 8gb ram drive sounds overkill, I was thinking you might have a motel or hotel or something like that. I'm guessing you use the Pi as a card server instead of having the card directly read by the PC to reduce the chance of the key not being available if the PC is busy?

@bopfrog - Above recommendation sounds solid. I've also seen people mention that you should run a conduit so you can easily add more cables/different cables in the future. I imagine the most important thing is to label everything excessively so you don't get mix ups.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @kiwijunglist nope nothing like that simply multi-room on the cheap :) If we can get MHEG5 implemented correctly in MP2 then I think we'd be on to a winner! 8GB drive allows two clients to sit on pause for 50 minutes on an HD channel... never know when you might have to placate a 16 week old and how long that will take! Also less wear and tear as all ram based and not mechanical.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Server is windows 2012 Essentials, and I needed a custom build of OSCam but couldn't get the PCSC drivers to work on Windows. Also allows me to run it dedicated without trouble.

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've done a similar thing but with a different bent. I have mp server/client in the lounge, a NAS (freenas) and set up a cron job to copy all recorded TV to the NAS nightly. so recorded TV is available via DLNA on any TV in the house. that way there's no need for extra PCs at each TV, and the TVs already have freeview decoders so no need to worry about using the server for TV. only downside is there's no pause/rew live TV except of the main TV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom