Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (5 Viewers)

PHansen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 30, 2007
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So has anyone got any reliable satellite images for the weather app? To trawl 219 pages is a little bit of a tough ask with the few hours a week i have free at the moment.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Try using the "search this thread " button just above your post on this page and then type weather etc.

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are the Bitrate charts that confirm TVNZ has slashed the bitrate for TV1 & 2
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000034-v
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000035-v
    TV2 was down to 1.5Mbps on wednesday night!!!!!!!!!

It looks like TV3 lowered their bitrate when they started TV3+1 around the 30th march
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000027-v
    They seem to have it locked down to about 4 Mbps which isn't too bad.
    Well that explains the sudden drop in quality of my recorded shows. 1hr TS recordings are down from around 3.4 Gb to around 2.4Gb. Pixellation is now quite obvious.
    Have let TVNZ know that not happy at the lowered quality whilst Sky now get TVNZ 6 and 7 etc at HD.

So this is why the picture quality has dropped. I thought I had an issue with my gear.

Have you had any response from TVNZ?

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are the Bitrate charts that confirm TVNZ has slashed the bitrate for TV1 & 2
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000034-v
    TV2 was down to 1.5Mbps on wednesday night!!!!!!!!!

It looks like TV3 lowered their bitrate when they started TV3+1 around the 30th march
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000027-v
    They seem to have it locked down to about 4 Mbps which isn't too bad.
    Well that explains the sudden drop in quality of my recorded shows. 1hr TS recordings are down from around 3.4 Gb to around 2.4Gb. Pixellation is now quite obvious.
    Have let TVNZ know that not happy at the lowered quality whilst Sky now get TVNZ 6 and 7 etc at HD.

So this is why the picture quality has dropped. I thought I had an issue with my gear.

Got this last night:
    Hi Craig,

TVNZ is currently undertaking internal testing relating to the planned introduction of new services, and regrets the variation to your viewing experience that you have reported. This testing will continue for some time however whilst TVNZ determines the optimum set of configuration parameters relevant to its new mix of services.”.
    Thanks for your enquiry
    Freeview team

================================================================
    This is a no reply e-mail, for more information on Freeview, visit us
    online at Freeview | NZ's Favourite TV Programmes in Digital Quality or call 0800 Freeview (373 38439)

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Got this last night:
    Hi Craig,

TVNZ is currently undertaking internal testing relating to the planned introduction of new services, and regrets the variation to your viewing experience that you have reported. This testing will continue for some time however whilst TVNZ determines the optimum set of configuration parameters relevant to its new mix of services.”.
    Thanks for your enquiry
    Freeview team

This is a no reply e-mail, for more information on Freeview, visit us
    online at Freeview | NZ's Favourite TV Programmes in Digital Quality or call 0800 Freeview (373 38439)

It sounds like we should all be providing them with similar feedback! They should be testing on a test channel. I have a 60 inch TV and the pixellation is shocking. Perhaps with enough feedback they'll realise that this is not acceptable.

I'll contact them today. :mad:

Biggles69

Portal Member
    April 7, 2008
    Nelson
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm yet to receive a reply fom tvnz or freeview.

I've given up on the tvnz feed on freeview for now & have tuned my HTPC to TV 1&2 from the sky feed (not great but better than freeviews feed) & will keep it on that untill Freeview/TVNZ sort their bitrate out.

I doubt the bitrate will ever be as good as it was though, not if tvnz want to have multiple regional feeds to satisfy their advertisers.

"Freeview, Crystal Clear (Pixelated) Digital Quality Televison"

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    All those people receiving freeview via satellite need to go to the TVNZ website and make a complaint about the drop in bitrate otherwise we might get stuck with a crappy picture from tv1 & 2
    heres the contact address Feedback Form | CONTACT US | tvnz.co.nz

:mad: I've just sent this - I've never been into complaining about things like this but I think for a first timer I did OK :) :

I wouldn't normally take the time to write a complaint but having spent $1,000's of dollars on a home theatre set up which includes Freeview I have to say that the drop in picture quality while TVNZ "carries out testing at lower bitrates" is extremely irritating.

As someone said on a forum I subscribe to today ""Freeview, Crystal Clear (Pixelated) Digital Quality Television"". Looks like there’s a Tui ad in the making there.

Why is the testing being done on live TV broadcasts? Is it to see how many people notice/complain?? That can be the only reason since TVNZ has reserved/unused channels which would be better suited to "testing".

Was it always the plan of TVNZ to get Freeview off to a great start and then reduce the quality of the picture provided?

Will the next Freeview advertising banner have a pixelated picture on it to reflect the true nature of what is being broadcast? I'm sure it will because anything else would be misleading advertising - I'll keep an eye out for it.

No doubt the general public will soon realise what is happening and with the change to digital not being a matter of choice in the near future I'm sure my complaint will be just one of many. In the meantime I will forward my complaint on to my local MP, after all my tax dollars are helping to pay for a less than satisfactory “Freeview”

I look forward to your reply.

Obviously I don't expect a reply and if I do get one it will be a stock standard response, but I will be emailing my complaint to my MP and hell, I might even try to find out who writes those Tui ads! :D

Bleazle

Biggles69

Portal Member
    April 7, 2008
    Nelson
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Good Work :D

Looks like TVNZ have dropped the Bitrate on the main "To Air" channels while they test on the other feeds :mad:

DVB-S, 12.483 GHz, H, 22500
    Reserved 4 - 4Mbps average
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000039-v
    Reserved 5 - 3.79Mbps average
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000038-v
    Reserved 6 - 4.85Mbps average
    http://www.satcodx5.com/1600/tsbitrate.cgi?16000050000000000036-v

So these test channels are getting a lot more bandwidth/Bitrate while the main channels suffer really crappy bitrates

TV2 - 2.34Mbps Average :eek:

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    All those people receiving freeview via satellite need to go to the TVNZ website and make a complaint about the drop in bitrate otherwise we might get stuck with a crappy picture from tv1 & 2
    heres the contact address Feedback Form | CONTACT US | tvnz.co.nz

:mad: I've just sent this - I've never been into complaining about things like this but I think for a first timer I did OK :) :

I wouldn't normally take the time to write a complaint but having spent $1,000's of dollars on a home theatre set up which includes Freeview I have to say that the drop in picture quality while TVNZ "carries out testing at lower bitrates" is extremely irritating.

As someone said on a forum I subscribe to today ""Freeview, Crystal Clear (Pixelated) Digital Quality Television"". Looks like there’s a Tui ad in the making there.

Why is the testing being done on live ..................”

I look forward to your reply.

Obviously I don't expect a reply and if I do get one it will be a stock standard response, but I will be emailing my complaint to my MP and hell, I might even try to find out who writes those Tui ads! :D

Bleazle

Nice one! :) I've forwarded my complaint to TVNZ along similar lines. Does anyone know how to get the Herald involved in this sort of thing? It might be something they want to get their teeth into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom