Calling all users: Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 158 12.4%
  • Yes, the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0.

Votes: 684 53.9%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Single Seat).

Votes: 191 15.0%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Multi Seat).

Votes: 211 16.6%
  • Yes, but I don't know which Engine I use.

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters

cdouglas

Portal Member
September 10, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I currently don't use it. I tried both the v2 and tvserver and stability wasn't there in either to keep a high WAF.

I use BeyondTV for tv and MP for everything else. My main reasons are that the guide look and feel is better (not sure why but it is), don't have to mess around with zap2it for the EPG, and HD shows are marked as such in the main guide view. The over all stability of BTV is better for me.

RutgerDB

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This weekend I installed the TV server on my Windows XP system and the client on another Windows XP workstation. Works like a charm with my FireDTV.

Next challenge will be to run this on my Windows 2003 Server. I want my Media Center to be as basic as possible and let my server handle all recordings and post-processing. Also it must be stable for the GF.

What I've seen with SVN 01-04-07 was quite awesome.

The only comment I have is that it's maybe an idea to pack the server installs (SQL Server Express+config, Mediaportal Server etc) into one executable.

One executable for the server and one for the client. Would make life a lot simpler.

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
There is some discussion going on about including the SQL server. This only seems to be possible for the SQL-express Lite server, that can only handle one client at the time. So a multi-seated configuration would be out of the question. A no-go. As far as I understood. But I totally agree installation should be easier. Not for me per see, but for people who are not so into computers, and still want to have the ability to use the TVserver.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I upgraded to the new TV server a couple of weeks ago.
    It's excellent. Channel changes are faster, cards that were never working before work seamlessly and all up it just feels "smoother".

I use two single seat configurations. Haven't tried multi seat yet.

majB

March 25, 2007
    I have tested the TV server yesterday, I must say I was disappointed in the preformance. My HTPC has 2800 Dual core processor, 2 GB memory and skystar 2 card, but I had many freezes and switched back to MyTV. :(

D

dm15644

I have now finally switched to TVE3. I have been waiting till powerscheduler is integrated - thanks guys. Still had problems though with recordings and standby, but figured quickly that my XP USB installation is the root cause. Yesterday I went through clean installing XP, and now it works like a charm!

Advantages for me:

- Faster GUI response time in all of MediaPortal
    - Faster channel switching in MyTV
    - From that one day testing I would say that TV recording is rock solid now. No lost seconds etc.

If I now vote for TVE3 single seat, how can I kill my previous vote for TVE2 ?

/Jayrock

ehstowa

March 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Use it all the time but...

... sometimes it is impossible to kill, only way is to shut down the PC...
    / Tomas

Galileo

Portal Member
    February 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I currently use the old tv engine but I would love to try the new one when it's stable and out of beta. I don't use the SVN builds for the 2.2 because I don't want a lot of tweaking. I really prefer using stable products.

Given the fact that I am already running a 2003 server in my network serving the files and authenticating users I am interested in the multi seat setup. It would require another server running (I don't want to break my entire network if 1 server goes down) but that's ok.

What are the hardware requirements for a mediacenter client once the serving is all done by the tv-server? Because imho it would only require a NIC, tv-out and audio-out capability with little to no cpu power. All of those tasks are taken over by the server. Am I right? Because then an old p2/p3 system could be used to be placed under each in house TV. It would be able to operate fanless since there's no heat generation and therefor would run silent. Only thing you need then is a 'nice' box to put the hardware in.

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Stilll needs to be powerful enopugh to decode(play) mpeg2 videos and render that pretty MP interface :) DX9 video card is a must (Even a cheapy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom