Calling all users: Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

Do you use MyTV in MediaPortal?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 158 12.4%
  • Yes, the one that comes along with 0.2.2.0.

Votes: 684 53.9%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Single Seat).

Votes: 191 15.0%
  • Yes, TV-Server (Multi Seat).

Votes: 211 16.6%
  • Yes, but I don't know which Engine I use.

Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters

mickelin

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I use DVRMSToolbox to strip out commercials. Don't want to use TVE3 since it does not support recording to DVR-MS. Would switch if TVE3 supported DVR-MS or had native commercial stripping.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ATTENTION!
    TV-Engines comparaison
    -->>here<<--
    [/CENTER]

Great! This has been asked for so many times! Not able to view webpage ATM - will try later (or perhaps you can do a "cut 'n paste" to this thread?).

I use TVE2, but will make the transition when TVE3 is
    a) more mature and
    b) advantages exceeds disadvantages

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Well i voted for 0.2.2.0 becuase thats what i'm running just now. Although i have just downloaded the latest SVNs for MP and TVE3 which i intend to try tonight

cantinnr

Portal Member
    April 8, 2006
    I use TV engine that comes with 0.2.2 but since the 0.2.2, half of the recordings are corrupted and can't be read.
    And since I got a Nova-T-500, and because MP doesn't reset the card correctly upon resume from S3/S4 I can't really schedule any record.

An important feature that is missing is setting the language and the subtitles when scheduling a record. (One have to record manualy in order to get the correct subs/lang with multiple lang broadcasts)

Still, thanks for the job done.

Junoman

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Reliability VS Functionality

I have been using MediaPortal for 3 years now. It has come a long way since then with many great improvements and features.

The original TV engine that comes bundled with MP works great! Unfortunately it only took me 2 years to get the tv guide to update on a regular basis and stay in the right time frame (Canada/Est - Zap2IT).
    Since that success, I have been able to leave my HTPC running 24/7 for 1 year without problem and use it daily.

I have been waiting a long time for the server portion and believe it is the proper direction for this HTPC development. ...but it seems a long way off at this point in time.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH TV3

It took 2 complete installs to get working sucessfully.
    NOTE TO OTHER USERS: If at first you don't succeed....reinstall everything >> especially MSSQL Express 5. (Going to try MySql instead this weekend)
    ALSO...the video tutorial does not mention everything you need to configure >> be sure to read the wiki directions!!!

It was difficult to setup for analog...someone should explain the relation between the Zap2IT plugin and scanning for channels. (USE THE PLUGIN FIRST, THEN SCAN FOR ANALOG CHANNELS)

Everything was finally perfect until the first night it tried to update the tvguide!
    ERRORS! Now due to the update, a COMPLETE REINSTALL OF EVERYTHING is required to get the TVengine service to run again.
    This appears to be the only solution I have found, but I am not interested in reinstalling EVERYTHING every 2 days -- NOT ENJOYABLE.

MY HONORABLE MENTION

As I stated, I do believe that the TV3 engine is the proper direction for MP to follow. But I truly believe the focus of work should be on stablizing the code for the mixture of hardware architectures out there.

Aside from recieving analog or digital channels (we got that down), the main focus should be on the TVGUIDE. EVERYTHING ELSE IS ONLY ICING ON THE CAKE.

Yes, we all want fancy features and cool OSD layouts, but realistically we will build a better and stronger user community if people can just install and use the software!!!

MediaPortal has been fun to "play with" for 3 years in anticipation of stability, but honestly I must now consider MCE as a better substitute.

Need reliablility a lot more than constant tweaking and guess work.

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm a sucker for testing betas, so I've already made the switch to TVE3, and I upgrade to the latest SVN every couple of weeks. The benefit is the TV Engine service is less likely to crash on me, thereby helping me not miss my shows!

jer

Portal Member
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    I think TV engine3 will be very good, I will use it to stream TV over my network. But now quite difficult because of some bug, but it is in development ;)

The only very bad point is the management of channel and channel list, very hard to understand and to use. Because I am a DVB-S user and there is a lots of channel and it is very slow to map channel to the right card and to make good list.

But I think it is a great evolution in MP

trucker0wern

Portal Member
    March 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    i use the 0.2.2.0 version whit svn of 30-2-2007

i have tried to instal tvengine 3 but the problem is the whole server option like to see it simpler or that you can choose when instal it to run it whitout any server

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    I use the tvserver with a network attached client, but it is still very unstable so it's practical for every day use. I don't watch a lot of tv so it's not a big issue at the moment.

I would use the v2 tv engine in v2.2.0 if I could, but my tv card doesn't like the motherboard I have in my htpc so I am sort of forced into using the tvserver on my server machine.

I see lots of potential in the tvserver, at the moment it is a shame it is let down by buggy channel-changing and seeking within the stream. Are the ppl who aren't seeing this behaviour not using multi-seat installations with clients access over the network?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom