[no Bug] Cant Play DVD (1 Viewer)

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thanks. I guess I will just have to live with the videos icon being there. A poor design in my opinion, but I don't know the code behid it. I am sure there is a good reason.

So what is the configuration to play a disc and not have to have videos enabled? is it possible? I don't have to have the play disc shortcut, it is handy in some instances, but not totally needed. I would prefer to have a clean menu system. Easier for my children, wife, and guests to figure out. It is more intuitive to only have one location displayed for videos\movies.

thanks

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks. I guess I will just have to live with the videos icon being there. A poor design in my opinion, but I don't know the code behid it. I am sure there is a good reason.

So what is the configuration to play a disc and not have to have videos enabled? is it possible? I don't have to have the play disc shortcut, it is handy in some instances, but not totally needed. I would prefer to have a clean menu system. Easier for my children, wife, and guests to figure out. It is more intuitive to only have one location displayed for videos\movies.

thanks

Please read this very very slowly, since you have been given the answer to this several times already.

If you want to play a DVD, you need to have 'My Videos' enabled.

There is no way around this.

However, you can go into configuration, click on 'My Videos' in the plugins section and then click on 'Plugins' rather than 'Home' to place it in the plugins section.

Mark

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    I understand that. I currently do NOT have a plugin section. I don't use the plugin section at all, so I am just swapping one useless item in the menu for another. Again, not an ideal solution.

I guess what I don't understand is how if I disable "my videos" that I can still play DVD image files from Moving Pictures (have not tried a physical disc), but not the play disc button. These are .iso images ripped using media slayer. I don't think the Moving Pictures plugin has its own player integrated, it is just using the stuff in MP. Do dvd image files get handled differently than a physical disc (beyond the mounting of the .iso)?

Considering that play disc shortcut was at one time separate from the my video section and worked without having to have the my videos enabled, this to me is a setp backward.

I hope I am not making anyone upset with continued posting, I am not meaning to. I am just trying to find some understanding as to the thought process behind this change...

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I understand that. I currently do NOT have a plugin section. I don't use the plugin section at all, so I am just swapping one useless item in the menu for another. Again, not an ideal solution.

I guess what I don't understand is how if I disable "my videos" that I can still play DVD image files from Moving Pictures (have not tried a physical disc), but not the play disc button. These are .iso images ripped using media slayer. I don't think the Moving Pictures plugin has its own player integrated, it is just using the stuff in MP. Do dvd image files get handled differently than a physical disc (beyond the mounting of the .iso)?

Considering that play disc shortcut was at one time separate from the my video section and worked without having to have the my videos enabled, this to me is a setp backward.

I hope I am not making anyone upset with continued posting, I am not meaning to. I am just trying to find some understanding as to the thought process behind this change...

Play Disc is simply a shortcut to the other plugins, and not a plugin in its own right. Therefore it is not able to actually do anything other than determine what sort of disc it is and direct the content to the appropriate plugin.

Ultimately you're just going to have to accept that this is how MediaPortal works. It's not about to change.

Mark

GoaXeoN

July 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    i have a simeler problem
    i have "MY VIDEO" and "MY MUSIC" and "PLAY DISK" enabled
    and i can play some dvds...and some just freez MP, some just go back to homescreen (iwen original dvds)

i have try another player in the same computer with same dvds...working
    and if i rip the dvds and burn then, then its working

i have MP 1.1.0 RC4
    have try MPs own decoder and ffdshow
    "turn off DxVA" ON and OFF

how do i get all dvds to play?

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    elliotmc - Thanks for that explaination. I didn't realize it was just a shortcut and not a plugin. It makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to a hard headed, stuborn user (ME!!!!). LOL

Maybe I will write a plugin then to do what I am wanting it to do. Hmmm... My first project. Hmm...

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    elliottmc, have you hear of it before?

Hi,

It seems as though your problem is a completely different one.

You need to start a new thread and post logs.

However, and with due respect, you are a new user and there is a better than average chance that your problems are due to configuration errors rather than a bug in MediaPortal. I don't say this to be rude, as we have all been new users at one point, but I am simply pointing out the fact.

I would recommend that you post in the newcomers or general support sections of the forum rather than in development.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread