Centon Inifini TV (1 Viewer)

Twoarcadians

Portal Member
August 3, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I feel the Ceton tuner and its software were particularly paired with WMC. Ceton does not recommend upgrading to W10 and losing WMC. I feel my Ceton tuner is at this point not compatible with MP2. I am going to remove this tuner from this computer and purchase one more compatible wi MP2.
Thank you Breese for all your hard work and Morpheus as well. Nothing further need be done at this point. I'll get back when I have a more compatible tuner.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
October 26, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
I feel the Ceton tuner and its software were particularly paired with WMC. Ceton does not recommend upgrading to W10 and losing WMC. I feel my Ceton tuner is at this point not compatible with MP2. I am going to remove this tuner from this computer and purchase one more compatible wi MP2.
Thank you Breese for all your hard work and Morpheus as well. Nothing further need be done at this point. I'll get back when I have a more compatible tuner.
Instead of giving up on MediaPortal you are giving up on your tuners and purchase new ones?
Respect!!! I wish more people would be that symphatic.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Twoarcadians
    With the greatest respect, I would not advise replacing your tuner.

Two reasons:
    1. If the problem is that the channels are copy protected (still waiting for log files) then it doesn't matter which tuner you buy - you'll have exactly the same problems. And worse: those problems will apply to any software you try, except WMC (because WMC supports copy protection).
    2. Support for other CableCARD tuners (eg. HDHR PRIME) in MediaPortal 2 is no better (or worse) than support for Ceton tuners. You're not gaining any major advantage by switching.

I feel the Ceton tuner and its software were particularly paired with WMC. Ceton does not recommend upgrading to W10 and losing WMC.
    I'd have expected this. They probably don't think there is any equivalent alternative to WMC... and they'd be right. There is no other software that I'm aware of that supports viewing and recording of copy protected channels. That doesn't mean their tuners will be less compatible with W10 or MediaPortal.

I feel my Ceton tuner is at this point not compatible with MP2.
    In my opinion the choice to use MediaPortal 2 (instead of MediaPortal 1) was not the best decision for right now.

In case you weren't aware, most people are currently using MediaPortal 1. I don't say that to diminish MediaPortal 2. MediaPortal 2 is certainly better than MediaPortal 1 in some respects. However, it is critical to realise that MediaPortal 2 is a work in progress. Of particular relevance for you is that there are known issues with CableCARD tuner support that do not apply to MediaPortal 1. In other words, when you select MediaPortal 2 with a CableCARD tuner, currently you should expect a few issues.

So, again: I would not be buying a new tuner.

Twoarcadians

Portal Member
    August 3, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you! I am not giving up on MP 1 or 2. I know 2 is a work in progress and dear to you. I like MP as well. I see it as the best replacement for WMC. I plan on using it in the future on this computer. In the meantime I have an older computer with Vista, I have just purchased the Win7 upgrade for it @ $50. I can download Ceton software for the Ceton infini on that computer and use WMC until 2020, by moving the external Ceton tuner there. I will sooner or later upgrade THIS computer which is newer and faster to a PCI tuner versus the external Ceton. In addition, I also use a cable box and wirelessly connect throughout our unit with a Actiontec Multiroom Wireless HD Connection for cable TV with the one cable box. Unfortunately, the CB is not a TIVO. Yes, the big issue is that WMC supports copy protection. Yet, WMC will be supported until 2020 wi Win7. With technology advancing exponentially, who knows what we will have by then?

Incidentally, Breese is great, Kudos to him! He spent a great deal of time on this computer, while b/4 that, I spent a couple frustrating weeks. Rather than expending more of all of your valuable time and mine on this single computer problem, I think the $50 expense is the best solution at the moment.

I'll be back!
    Regards,
    GDF

Twoarcadians

Portal Member
    August 3, 2015
    Home Country
    After three years I would like to try again. I believe you now support the Ceton InfiniTV6 (I hope). If so would obtain a cable card and try again.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

please consult the Wiki which TV cards are supported. The TV Engine 3.0 has been in code freeze for several years now. TV Engine 3.5 is in Alpha or Beta state and not in utilization right now.

Cheers

Blue Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom