Channel 4 HD have withdrawn from Freesat UK - EPG solution? (1 Viewer)

Gazlad

Portal Member
March 19, 2018
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Despite Channel 4 HD withdrawing from Freesat - the broadcast still seems to work but there is very limited EPG (now/next only, if it works at all).
Channel 4 HD and All 4 to leave Freesat on Thursday

Is there a way that I can combine the standard DVB EPG data from Channel 4 (SD) and apply this to Channel 4 HD? I have used third party EPGs in the past and have constantly had to battle with faulty EPG data so I would prefer not to go back to this. If anyone has a straight-forward solution, it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi @Gazlad, I think if you have a read of this it might be what you're looking for. If memory serves me right I combined the EPG feed from HD to SD before, when I was playing around with this. Worth a go, if it works.

BTW, was sorry to see C4 HD leave Freesat and I'd be surprised if it remains FTA indefinitely but this could all be part of the game regarding carriage fees.

Anyway, hope this works for you.

Gazlad

Portal Member
    March 19, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi @Gazlad, I think if you have a read of this it might be what you're looking for. If memory serves me right I combined the EPG feed from HD to SD before, when I was playing around with this. Worth a go, if it works.

BTW, was sorry to see C4 HD leave Freesat and I'd be surprised if it remains FTA indefinitely but this could all be part of the game regarding carriage fees.

Anyway, hope this works for you.
    Hi JJDoherty, thanks for your reply.

I did have a quick look at combine but the available channels aren't really relevant. CCTV, QVC etc (I'd take a screen shot but on my phone at the moment).

I guess I could use a 3rd party tool for that channel only I suppose...

Do you know if C4 are planning on pulling the HD channel completely or just no longer providing EPG?

Thanks again.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I used the Web epg plugin when Channel 4 HD got pulled from Freesat .

Works well enough with no gaps in the listings ..

I only have it set to pull In data for Channel 4 , everything else comes in from the Freesat info channel

webepg.jpg

Gazlad

Portal Member
    March 19, 2018
    Home Country
    I used the Web epg plugin when Channel 4 HD got pulled from Freesat .

Works well enough with no gaps in the listings ..

I only have it set to pull In data for Channel 4 , everything else comes in from the Freesat info channel

View attachment 196973
    Thanks ninja, that sorted it. I think my previous bad experiences with alternative EPG sources had put me off even considering that as a solution.

Regarding the freesat info channel, do you only scan that channel for dvb epg? I recall trying that after reading about 'card burn' etc from constant EPG grabs but I didn't have great results. I may have given up too easily though and I am tempted to try this again since reading your post. I currently scan all of my main channels for EPG but I suspect that this isn't necessary?

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Thanks ninja, that sorted it. I think my previous bad experiences with alternative EPG sources had put me off even considering that as a solution.

Regarding the freesat info channel, do you only scan that channel for dvb epg? I recall trying that after reading about 'card burn' etc from constant EPG grabs but I didn't have great results. I may have given up too easily though and I am tempted to try this again since reading your post. I currently scan all of my main channels for EPG but I suspect that this isn't necessary?

Glad you got it sorted :)

In the TV EPG section , I only have my DVB-T channels ticked ( no DVB-S channels ticked )

In the Radio EPG section ,the only DVB-S channel I have ticked is the Freesat info channel .
    I also have the DVB-T radio channels ticked .

I have it set to update the EPG listings every 3 or 4 hours , using one card only .

Hope this helps :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    In the TV EPG section , I only have my DVB-T channels ticked ( no DVB-S channels ticked). In the Radio EPG section ,the only DVB-S channel I have ticked is the Freesat info channel. I also have the DVB-T radio channels ticked .
    I may have misunderstood your setup, but with the correct options set for DVB EPG in "TV Server Config", in the UK you need to:

(1) Grab the EPG from only one DVB-T/T2 channel ("BBC1" or "BBC1 HD" recommended). This grabs the EPG for all DVB-T/T2 TV channels, and all DVB-T/T2 radio channels.

(2) Grab the EPG for the one DVB-S radio channel that transmits the satellite EPG for TV and radio. The name of the channel should make it obvious which radio channel to select. (I don't use satellite myself.)

See the following post for the correct DVB EPG settings:

TV Not Recording

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I may have misunderstood your setup, but with the correct options set for DVB EPG in "TV Server Config", in the UK you need to:

(1) Grab the EPG from only one DVB-T/T2 channel ("BBC1" or "BBC1 HD" recommended). This grabs the EPG for all DVB-T/T2 TV channels, and all DVB-T/T2 radio channels.

(2) Grab the EPG for the one DVB-S radio channel that transmits the satellite EPG for TV and radio. The name of the channel should make it obvious which radio channel to select. (I don't use satellite myself.)

See the following post for the correct DVB EPG settings:

TV Not Recording

Hi ,

You haven't misunderstood my DVB-T setup :) I'm based in Ireland and can't / don't receive Freeview .

See below for my settings .

Everything works fine :)

1.jpg

2.jpg
    3.jpg

:)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I'm based in Ireland and can't / don't receive Freeview .
    From the screen shots, the values for the other settings suggest that you don't need to select all of those Irish DVB-T channels in order to grab the full EPG.

When you select a channel to grab the EPG, TV Server grabs all EPG info transmitted in the MUX containing that channel. In the UK, this includes not only the EPG for the other channels in that MUX, but also the EPG for all other channels in all other MUXes. Is the Irish system different?

To put that differently, I am curious as to whether you could deselect all DVB-T channels except for one, and still receive a full EPG. Your current settings are not wrong, but may cause unnecessary processing. TV Server will first tune to channel "3e" and grab a full EPG for all channels, then TV Server will tune to channel "b3e", and regrab the full EPG that it has already grabbed from "3e", and then tune to "RTE One" and grab an identical EPG for the third time, and so on for all of the channels that you have selected.

Note: the ability to select a single channel and receive the full EPG for all channels depends on the values of the other settings, but you already have those set correctly for a single-channel grab to work.

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    From the screen shots, the values for the other settings suggest that you don't need to select all of those Irish DVB-T channels in order to grab the full EPG.

When you select a channel to grab the EPG, TV Server grabs all EPG info transmitted in the MUX containing that channel. In the UK, this includes not only the EPG for the other channels in that MUX, but also the EPG for all other channels in all other MUXes. Is the Irish system different?

To put that differently, I am curious as to whether you could deselect all DVB-T channels except for one, and still receive a full EPG. Your current settings are not wrong, but may cause unnecessary processing. TV Server will first tune to channel "3e" and grab a full EPG for all channels, then TV Server will tune to channel "b3e", and regrab the full EPG that it has already grabbed from "3e", and then tune to "RTE One" and grab an identical EPG for the third time, and so on for all of the channels that you have selected.

Note: the ability to select a single channel and receive the full EPG for all channels depends on the values of the other settings, but you already have those set correctly for a single-channel grab to work.

Thanks for that :)

I always had it set to grab EPG info for all the DVB-T channels separately and never tried to just have one channel selected .

I just unticked them all except RTÉ One and did a rescan .

All EPG listings appeared as usual .

Thanks again :)

@Gazlad , apologies for dragging your thread a little from your initial question

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom