Channel Changing speeds (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If MCE for you is also "suffering from Channel delay" then it is definately down to the TVcard\driver.

Do not really know what more to say, unless Dvico comes up with answer, or you sell your card and get one With better response time.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    No that is the thing, MCE and DW are 5 seconds... MP is typically 13-15 seconds, (sometimes rarely down to 8, and up to 20 seconds).

When I said "is also 5 seconds", I meant to say that MCE and DW are around the same performance, MP is 3-4 times slower using the same BDA drivers. I'm sure it is some form of incompatibility between the DVICO driver implementation and what MP is expecting, what I'm trying to do is find just where that incompatibility is.

I've already found that the DVICO drivers report signal strength in a very strange way (appears to be a signal gain, rather than a percentage). I hacked the relevant MP code to "normalise" the value, but the channel change problem persisted. So, something else must be different.

While for some people 5 seconds may seem a bit much, in my case, I'd have to say that would be "sheer luxury!" :)

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Paranoid, if you had the opportunity to grab a log of your MP from startup with a couple of channel changes that would be really appreciated, as it will help me track down a little further where things might be going wrong in the code.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    OK will get logs, from Daughters pc, might not be available till monday, as out tomorrow. and at this moment cannot get her off (teen thing).

But hopefully it will give you some idea why your channel change so slooow.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    htpcoz,
    just wondering, how long does it take from the time it takes the client to go from the main menu screen to click on the TV , how long does it take for you to get some audio/video

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Initial startup of the TV is certainly the longest wait.. this varies, but never gets below 15 seconds, I have had some cases where after 20 seconds the audio/video hasn't appeared, so I press stop (from back out in the home screen), and then start again, in this case it comes up in a few (~5) seconds (I guess because the graphs/tuning have already been performed in the first failed attempt).

When channel changing after starting this delay is typically around 12-13 seconds.

I also have a Hauppauge MCE 150 in the same machine, from pressing Live TV to getting audio/video is typically around 5 seconds. Channel changes obviously very quick, as it is just an external channel changer.

... also thanks in advance to PD for the logs... much appreciated.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Thanks mate, should be able to look into them a little deeper in the next couple of days... looks like yours is presenting data very quickly... I don't see that for some time... very strange!

Thanks again for getting these, hopefully they should help a few of us out.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Strange that Dvico had such a good setup with there first Dual card.

Why would they develope, and release a card with these slow channel changes.

What are the change speeds on a virgin install of XP.

The only thing that does slow down channel change, is a signal lock problem (again usually on Fives provider channels).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom