Choppy playback on fresh system (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Do you have other software running that would be attempting to use the network/internet at the same time as MP?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you test with WatchDog option #1 to rule out plugins/skins or other modifications?
    What do the render stats show you (Shift + 1) when you experience the stutter?

Based on your tests, the fact that 720p seems to work better than 1080p and local files don't have issues with playback, i would look further in your network setup (check NIC settings, sharing options, user rights on the share(s), etc.). I don't think it has anything to do with MP and the tested codecs, also since it worked with a similar setup in the past.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you test with WatchDog option #1 to rule out plugins/skins or other modifications?
    What do the render stats show you (Shift + 1) when you experience the stutter?

Based on your tests, the fact that 720p seems to work better than 1080p and local files don't have issues with playback, i would look further in your network setup (check NIC settings, sharing options, user rights on the share(s), etc.). I don't think it has anything to do with MP and the tested codecs, also since it worked with a similar setup in the past.
    In the opening post is a log file created with option 1.

When I do shift + 1, the red line is acting weird. But the render stats also disappear when the heavy stuttering begins. Which is also strange.

Like I said, with Kodi there are totally no issues. With mpc hc I have the exact same issue. And when I use other codecs and splitters, I still have the same issue. Something is wrong with directshow? Are there any hidden options I don't know of?

Network seems to be OK, I did a LAN test. Dpc latency test, all OK. And Kodi runs fine from the same server.

I totally have no clue, and I think I thought of every option.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree with HomeY - all the evidence points to this being a network performance issue.

It's playing OK with lower bitrate files (720p). It's playing OK at the start of 1080p files (probably because it's built up a buffer of data before start of play, but after a while the data from the network can't keep up so it's starts stuttering. Skipping forward/back in the file will discard any buffered data so the stuttering starts again.

What are the bitrates of the files that play OK and the ones that don't (Mediainfo will give you an idea of this) ?

A couple of things to look at/try related to network settings:

MMCS (multimedia class scheduler) network throttling registry setting: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/948066

General SMB network throttling registry setting: http://retrohack.com/how-to-make-windows-7-file-transfers-fly/

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree with HomeY - all the evidence points to this being a network performance issue.

It's playing OK with lower bitrate files (720p). It's playing OK at the start of 1080p files (probably because it's built up a buffer of data before start of play, but after a while the data from the network can't keep up so it's starts stuttering. Skipping forward/back in the file will discard any buffered data so the stuttering starts again.

What are the bitrates of the files that play OK and the ones that don't (Mediainfo will give you an idea of this) ?

A couple of things to look at/try related to network settings:

MMCS (multimedia class scheduler) network throttling registry setting: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/948066

General SMB network throttling registry setting: http://retrohack.com/how-to-make-windows-7-file-transfers-fly/
    Should I apply the regedit to my server and htpc? Or only htpc?

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This made no difference.

This seems do to the trick!

I tried multiple usage scenarios, like resuming, restarting etc. And no stutter untill yet. So this should be it!

Thank you all for helping me. Was almost tossing the PC out of the window :)

But one question remains: why Kodi didn't have this issue and why MediaPortal and MPC HC did have this issue.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But one question remains: why Kodi didn't have this issue and why MediaPortal and MPC HC did have this issue.

MP (and presumably MPC-HC, but I don't know for sure) use MMCS when playing video, to help ensure smooth playback. I think that using MMCS triggers Windows to enable the network throttling. I guess Kodi doesn't use MMCS on Windows....

Note - MMCS has been around since Vista, on both 32 and 64 bit versions. So the network throttling it does isn't normally a problem for video playback - your network interface must be really slow sometimes to cause the stuttering....

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I connected my shares through SMB in Kodi. Which explains why Kodi had no issues.

Still strange that the past years I hadn't any issue like this with the same hardware.

But I'm glad it is working now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom