Chromecast (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I found that quality was limited to 720p w/"high bitrate" from movies. This is a showstopper for many... Although later versions might improve. Also wonder if wifi is ac....

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Wifi is till N as I know. Quality probably is by webRTC codec, so should not be very high.[DOUBLEPOST=1374996689][/DOUBLEPOST]But anyway it is v1, so I think it is just a start and has lot of space for improvements.

el-Dia

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just dreaming for now, but what would awsome is a Cromecast plugin for MP about the same way the Upnp renderer plugin works.
    In this way the MP frontend is enabled as a cast Device and it would be possible to send video to MP.

Youtube and Netflix pics from this Anandtech review:

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-28%20at%207.48.34%20PM.png
    Screen%20Shot%202013-07-28%20at%2012.24.47%20AM.png

Last edited:

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania

SkinsFan0521

Portal Pro
    October 19, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would just like to say that if aMPdroid could get this functionality, it would be an amazing addition.

Regardless of if it would be better/worse than having an android stick, it would make MediaPortal even better than it already is. Plus, based on what I'm reading, it wouldn't necessarily take a large development effort and take resources from other projects. It sounds like it would be something fairly simple (compared to may other aspects of MP) and could add huge functionality quickly.

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The more I read up about chromecast, the more excited I get! If ampdroid could incorporate this then I imaging there would be a huge uptake on using the app. I imagine there would be a lot of buzz from outside the MP community too, if MediaPortal were the first to be able to stream not only your local media files, but also live TV to the chromecast devise.
    If it's done well, quickly and the message is spread then I imagine Mediaportal would instantly get a lot of new users too!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This might be a little bit off topic, but since it's a "competitor" I dare to ask.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have Mediaportal running on a Windows 8.1 tablet and use its built in Miracast support?

Last edited:

tomfrogger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2006
    Trellech
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    On my old Windows 8 tab I used webmp in chrome so I wonder if it should be able to cast from this. Ampdroid support would be pretty awesome.

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wouldn't it be easier to just have Mediaportal running on a Windows 8.1 tablet and use its built in Miracast support?

The good thing about chromecast is that you only use your phone/tablet to start the video playing on the TV. A simplistic view is that you send a URL to the device. Once the video has started you can use your phone/tablet for something else, leave the room, turn it off etc etc.

Btw, koush (one of the best android devs around) has already quickly written apps that can:

1. Cast video files stored on your phone/tablet

2. Cast video files from your dropbox

He's got these up and running in a couple of days, so with time I don't see there being anything that MP can't cast!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom