Closed Captions/Subtitles... (1 Viewer)

ant

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
An Ant Farm
Since I am partially deaf, how do I enable closed captions/subtitles in MediaPortal v0.2RC2? I cannot seem to find it in the program and documents.

Thank you in advance. :)

dpirs

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
YOU HAVE TO ENABLE SUBITITLES IN VOBSUB OR FFSHOW FILTERS. YOU DO THAT OUTSIDE THE MEDIA PORTAL. IF YOU USE SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN YOUR SUBTITLE FILE (DEPENDS ON THE LANGUAGE) BETTER USE FFSHOW (AND UNINSTAL VOB SUB, ALTHOUGH IS ADVISED TO USE IT BY MEDIA PORTAL).
THEN PUT THE SUBTITLE FILE (.SRT, .SUB, ETC:) WITH THE SAME NAME AS YOUR MOVIE IN YOUR MOVIE FOLDER. IT SHOULD THEN WORK IN WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER ALSO.
AT LEAST IT WORKS FOR ME. WHEN THERE IS NO SUBTITLE FILE, MEDIA PORTAL JUST DOESN't SHOW IT.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
dpirs, no need for the caps, ant said he was partially deaf, not blind :)

Also, I think ant was talking about subtitles for television, which wouldn't be a separate subtitle file but embedded in the television transport stream.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with this feature, but perhaps enabling subtitles as dpirs said is part of the issue?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Oh dear, I'm afraid, CC is not supported. We got no dev who could do it in the US. CC are used in USA only, afaik. And those of us who could do that are located in Europe. :cry:

ant

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
An Ant Farm
mPod said:
Oh dear, I'm afraid, CC is not supported. We got no dev who could do it in the US. CC are used in USA only, afaik. And those of us who could do that are located in Europe. :cry:
Darn it!! I guess no MediaPortal for me then. It seems like software PVRs don't have this support. :(

What do folks in Europe use then for analog TV then?

Are there any other Windows PVRs that do? And no I do not want to install XP Media Center.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
ant said:
Well, for some analog programmes you got subtitles via teletext. But that's very rare. DVB is the way to go in Europe, in some countries they use subtitles there. But that's also very, very rare. Looking quite bad for subtitles then. (Mainly depends on the countrie. If e.g. 2 languages are used officially, chances for subtitles are not that bad.)

Not that nice for you, though... I'm sorry, I'd wish I could tell you something more positive on this...

ant

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
An Ant Farm
mPod said:
ant said:
Well, for some analog programmes you got subtitles via teletext. But that's very rare. DVB is the way to go in Europe, in some countries they use subtitles there. But that's also very, very rare. Looking quite bad for subtitles then. (Mainly depends on the countrie. If e.g. 2 languages are used officially, chances for subtitles are not that bad.)

Not that nice for you, though... I'm sorry, I'd wish I could tell you something more positive on this...
Oh well, thanks anyways. :)

Users who are viewing this thread