Connecting HTPC with AV-reciever (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Hehehe i am pretty sure they are aware of the fact that there are no other solutions out there so they decide that 300 dollars is a fair price for an equipment that copies the EDID of ur AVR/TV and injects it back to ur HTPC.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    @Kotik
    Thank you for the guide, will test when I have few min spare time. Still don't really understand the difference between my current connection and bitstream... I thought that currently the sound is decoded by the AVR..?

@kiwijunglist
    Wow, this is a unit! Compared to you, mine looks really like a toy:D 9 channels each 220W + 2 Subwoofers, respect! Don't mind, if I ask you for what do you need such a monster ? It's because of the sound quality, or do you actually need 9 channels?

What I'm also not understand is, why you both have problems with the HDMI connection and I can use pass-through without big troubles (besides the turn on order, which is not really a issue for me)? @kiwijunglist unit is state of the art, where mine is basic/budged and you have to use HDMI detective to solve it. Is doing yamaha something different, or is it just lucky me?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @aspik - I didn't need it, it was on special so I thought I'd spend a bit extra. I only use 5.1 channels. I think you are better of spending most of your money on speakers however, as that's what makes the most difference. Most brands of avr have issues with htpcs, and usually it's related to the htpc more than the avr.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    I think you are better of spending most of your money on speakers however, as that's what makes the most difference.

Completely agree with you, that's why I bought for start only a pair of NS-333. I prefer bookshelf/standalone speakers over the little 5.1 sets. I'm currently have only this two speakers connected to the AVR. In future I plan to add NS-555 and NS-C444.

Most brands of avr have issues with htpcs, and usually it's related to the htpc more than the avr.
    So, in my case it could be that the NUC itself is doing a good job or the fact that it runs 24/7 and there are no wake up issues :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Edited. It seems you have some issues regarding the order of turning things in and off. I had an Intel nuc newest version for a while and i didn't have any issues with it and my avr.

If those issues bother you a lot then adding a gefen would solve any issues related to the htpc having edid handshaking problems with the avr.

Last edited:

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Aspik try to turn off your AVR while your HTPC is on, wait couple of seconds and turn it on again. Do that like 5 times in a row and report here your findings.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Aspik try to turn off your AVR while your HTPC is on, wait couple of seconds and turn it on again. Do that like 5 times in a row and report here your findings.
    should I leave the tv turned on or should I turn it off?

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Hi Kotik,

works fine here. After every turn on the AVR, MP is working good :) Have you something particular in mind with the test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom