Connecting HTPC with AV-reciever (1 Viewer)

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    A good 5.1set is better than a bad 2.0 set for sure
    Yeah, but I think with my plan to add (in a distant future) to my currently setup the NS-555 and NS-C444 I'm on the "good speakers" side for music as well as for movies :)

By the way, welcome to the dark side.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    could u post ur speaker details?
    I can, but I'm pretty sure this will not help anyone. My setup is too exotic and not available somewhere to buy.
    My main speakers are handmade by a company who builds speakers and other Hifi related stuff. The chassis of the two satellites are "Broad Band" speakers (by Fortex) normally used in recording studios to monitor the sound of recordings done there. Added is a passive subwoofer with a bandpass case as the low frequencies of the satellites are cut of by the tiny size of the cases. Both chassis types could directly be attached to the amp without any frequency separating filters. This gives an enormous precision while listen to stereo music. On some songs you really can hear sound in the rear of your head. in Stereo for sure and without any rear speakers. "The Lady don't mind" from Talking Heads has a "beep beep beep" that slowly is "walking" around your head and you can hear it definitely in the back... Or another example you really can hear Tina Turner stepping to the front when she starts singing "Private Dancer"... Never have heard anything similar with stereo speakers before or after my system... Only drawback of this set is the maximum achievable volume. It isn't that high. So for parties (or similar) they are not that good.
    As Back speakers I'm using a pair of tiny Axton satellites, globes with the size of a baseball mounted to the wall. Those speakers I had laying around and first used them for testing only. But they are doing their jobs since ever I've mounted them without any wish to replace them. My centre is an average 100$ Canton centre speaker I've added some 10 years ago to complete my 5.1 setup. As long as I used the old Yamaha AVR I never really was satisfied with it. But since I got my new Pioneer AVR I also don't want to replace it by something better any longer.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What driver are you using in your bandpass. I just bought 4x 15" jbl gto1514 drivers. I'm gonna do 2 dual sealed subs with an inuke3000dsp. I'm coming from a little 12" ported 250w sub so it should give me a lot more slam down low.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There are two 25 cm Monacor chassis (I know, normally not a "High End" Brand) with double coils. They are connected crosswise so you have both membranes working for both channels.. The bandpass has a linear frequency range from 18 to 100 Hz, fitting exactly to the frequency range of the satellites which starts as 100 Hz. Also the Case has 18 Hz as lower frequency the Sub is able to produce audible 16 Hz (with some decibel lower volume than 18 Hz), the deepest frequency a human ear is able to hear. We have measured this in the lab of the company that has build the speakers for me. I only got those as the CEO of this company was engaged with the sister of my girlfriend those days. We are both no longer together with the girls but we still have contact.

Edit. forgot to tell the speakers are about 30 years of age and still working like the first day. And I still don't want to have any other speakers at all. They got the third paintwork in meantime and the next has to follow soon. But the rest is working like brand new. Those speakers are the oldest piece of technology I still use today.

I had to pay 500DM for the set (material only). If I compare this with the prizes of e.g. cars this is an equivalent to 2000€ today.

Last edited:

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    After many speaker auditions i went for the Dali Zensor 5, now that i have my front pair ready i am thinking if i should go for Zensor 3 or Zensor 1 as my surround speakers . I need some help guys.
    Its a small room 5 x 4 and the surround speakers will be placed around 1 meter away from me, what do u think? Should i go for Zensor 1 and be done with it?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Reading this and seeing again how much trouble AVR/HTPC can cause I'm glad I spared myself that pain by using SONOS Playbar and direct PC to TV HDMI connection. You need proper SPDIF out though.

No AVR, no worries :)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Kiwijunglist u are right, Zensor 1 is the correct surround speaker that goes along Zensor 5.

Zensor 3 is the one that u pair with Zensor 7.

Should i go for a Dali sub or should i look for something else?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You might get better value buying something 2nd hand for the subwoofer. Sometimes it's good to get two subwoofers.

SVS subwoofers are very good, in NZ the markup is a bit high, but in some countries they are probably good value.

I'm building my own subwoofers (albeit very slowly)

f1pqb5lj.aun.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom