Custom Data Grabber including Sky UK Channel/EPG Grabber (3 Viewers)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The plugin is for grabbing EPG data, not for combining channels from different providers. As you pointed out, MediaPortal already provides this functionality. I suggest you read the Wiki if you're unsure how to use it.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Well I understand what you are saying but it's not exclusively for EPG data. It's already setting up all channels in the database without having to run manual scans etc. and managing the channel list itself without requiring user intervention isn't it. Mediaportal provides most of the custom data grabbers functionality out of the box to do this all the time consuming manual way. This is simply making it automated and adding in a couple of additional nice features such as Series link etc. and wrapping it up into a really special plugin. I'd say it was more a whole TV management system than an EPG grabber. I also noticed there are references in the thread to Freeview EPG so I thought it may of been interacting with DVBB channels (as everything in the UK at least through S2 is Sky or Freesat).

I can of course do it manually and probably will go that route now I know you say this plugin / svn is not providing that functionality. But my next question is, what effect (if any) will the grabber have on my channels lists / configs after I have spent the time setting this all up? Is it possible it could overwrite changes / additions I make in this area?

Thanks.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I guess one of the main questions is that are the channel numbers shared across freesat/sky? If you go sorting it all out and the plugin overwrites channel numbers and freesat/sky do not share then that would be annoying. For example freesat in NZ are on different freeview only transponders with their own channel numbers that would be in conflict with Sky NZs.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Well I understand what you are saying but it's not exclusively for EPG data. It's already setting up all channels in the database without having to run manual scans etc. and managing the channel list itself without requiring user intervention isn't it. Mediaportal provides most of the custom data grabbers functionality out of the box to do this all the time consuming manual way. This is simply making it automated and adding in a couple of additional nice features such as Series link etc. and wrapping it up into a really special plugin. I'd say it was more a whole TV management system than an EPG grabber. I also noticed there are references in the thread to Freeview EPG so I thought it may of been interacting with DVBB channels (as everything in the UK at least through S2 is Sky or Freesat).

I can of course do it manually and probably will go that route now I know you say this plugin / svn is not providing that functionality. But my next question is, what effect (if any) will the grabber have on my channels lists / configs after I have spent the time setting this all up? Is it possible it could overwrite changes / additions I make in this area?

Thanks.
    Ah right, I only use the EPG grabber because I don't like Sky's LCN ordering system at all. Anyway, LCNs are different for Freeview, Freesat, and Sky, so you're going to have to do it manually. However, it doesn't take too long because there aren't too many channels on Freeview. Channels on both Freesat and Sky obviously don't need to be combined.

It would be handy to have some kind of plugin that combined channels automatically but it'd be difficult because even channel names aren't consistent across platforms.

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    I am quite busy at the moment with work and such(xmas). Also prepping for 6 months away from the UK. I'll upload a 1.6.0 version sometime tomorrow if I can.

@DJBlu - sounds like exciting times coming up for you - thanks once again for your work here as you can see it's extremely valued by many. Are you going to be able to share the source code when you get the time to complete the 1.6 release so that we can try to keep this maintained in your absence?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks @DJBlu I think there are a number of committed users here willing to update to the latest version of MP to continue using this so the code on github will allow this mod to match the official MP version.

I have to ask about the plugins, is the source code not available due to the dictionaries the decode sky being sky property or you just didn't want to release them? For me, Sky NZ seem to be messing about slightly with groups from time to time and it would be great to be able to look at the Sky NZ plugin if they change anything without pestering you every time (such as the last TS grab I posted here with my issues for the kids grouping), especially as you'll be overseas.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work yet again and I'll install this later :)

Edit: I notice on page 1 you've updated the NZ plugin to .6 from the current .5 in the spoiler but I couldn't find the zip file as it only has the .5 zip available.

Last edited:

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    I no longer use this plugin (or Mediaportal for that matter) but would like to say thanks to @DJBlu for taking the time out to update it for you guys. I still keep up to date on the thread, as it's interesting to see how things are progressing :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I seem to be having some issues with a clean install of 1.6.. Its scanning my channels etc, but for some reason it isn't adding in all the HD Channels. Its adding the BBC HD channels, but its not selecting ITV HD for example (ITV1 HD is not ticked in TV Channels).

Also it isn't populating the groups fully - for instance 'Entertainment' has only 11 channels in it? Music has 1 channel..

Attachments

• channels.png
      channels.png
      29.7 KB
    • channels2.png
      channels2.png
      24.8 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom