Custom Data Grabber including Sky UK Channel/EPG Grabber | Page 269

Discussion in 'General Development (no feature request here!)' started by DJBlu, May 19, 2011.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +74 / 2
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    The plugin is for grabbing EPG data, not for combining channels from different providers. As you pointed out, MediaPortal already provides this functionality. I suggest you read the Wiki if you're unsure how to use it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TheBatfink
    • Premium Supporter

TheBatfink MP Donator

Business System Analyst
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Well I understand what you are saying but it's not exclusively for EPG data. It's already setting up all channels in the database without having to run manual scans etc. and managing the channel list itself without requiring user intervention isn't it. Mediaportal provides most of the custom data grabbers functionality out of the box to do this all the time consuming manual way. This is simply making it automated and adding in a couple of additional nice features such as Series link etc. and wrapping it up into a really special plugin. I'd say it was more a whole TV management system than an EPG grabber. I also noticed there are references in the thread to Freeview EPG so I thought it may of been interacting with DVBB channels (as everything in the UK at least through S2 is Sky or Freesat).

I can of course do it manually and probably will go that route now I know you say this plugin / svn is not providing that functionality. But my next question is, what effect (if any) will the grabber have on my channels lists / configs after I have spent the time setting this all up? Is it possible it could overwrite changes / additions I make in this area?

Thanks.

4. Benoire
    • Premium Supporter

Benoire MP Donator

Civil Engineer
    Ratings:
    +135 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    I guess one of the main questions is that are the channel numbers shared across freesat/sky? If you go sorting it all out and the plugin overwrites channel numbers and freesat/sky do not share then that would be annoying. For example freesat in NZ are on different freeview only transponders with their own channel numbers that would be in conflict with Sky NZs.

5. DragonQ

DragonQ Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +74 / 2
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Ah right, I only use the EPG grabber because I don't like Sky's LCN ordering system at all. Anyway, LCNs are different for Freeview, Freesat, and Sky, so you're going to have to do it manually. However, it doesn't take too long because there aren't too many channels on Freeview. Channels on both Freesat and Sky obviously don't need to be combined.

It would be handy to have some kind of plugin that combined channels automatically but it'd be difficult because even channel names aren't consistent across platforms.

6. bob808
    • Premium Supporter

bob808 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Home Country:
    @DJBlu - sounds like exciting times coming up for you - thanks once again for your work here as you can see it's extremely valued by many. Are you going to be able to share the source code when you get the time to complete the 1.6 release so that we can try to keep this maintained in your absence?

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJBlu

DJBlu Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +894 / 1
    Home Country:
    1.6.0 Final files on page one.

Code is on github.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Benoire
    • Premium Supporter

Benoire MP Donator

Civil Engineer
    Ratings:
    +135 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Thanks @DJBlu I think there are a number of committed users here willing to update to the latest version of MP to continue using this so the code on github will allow this mod to match the official MP version.

I have to ask about the plugins, is the source code not available due to the dictionaries the decode sky being sky property or you just didn't want to release them? For me, Sky NZ seem to be messing about slightly with groups from time to time and it would be great to be able to look at the Sky NZ plugin if they change anything without pestering you every time (such as the last TS grab I posted here with my issues for the kids grouping), especially as you'll be overseas.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work yet again and I'll install this later :)

Edit: I notice on page 1 you've updated the NZ plugin to .6 from the current .5 in the spoiler but I couldn't find the zip file as it only has the .5 zip available.

Last edited: January 16, 2014
  9. richardc1983

richardc1983 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +25 / 3
    Home Country:
    Dj blu any update to the issues I have raised?

Thanks for the latest version btw.

10. psykix
    • Premium Supporter

psykix MP Donator

Ratings:
    +49 / 0
    Home Country:
    I no longer use this plugin (or Mediaportal for that matter) but would like to say thanks to @DJBlu for taking the time out to update it for you guys. I still keep up to date on the thread, as it's interesting to see how things are progressing :)

11. TheBatfink
    • Premium Supporter

TheBatfink MP Donator

Business System Analyst
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I seem to be having some issues with a clean install of 1.6.. Its scanning my channels etc, but for some reason it isn't adding in all the HD Channels. Its adding the BBC HD channels, but its not selecting ITV HD for example (ITV1 HD is not ticked in TV Channels).

Also it isn't populating the groups fully - for instance 'Entertainment' has only 11 channels in it? Music has 1 channel..

Attached Files:

• channels.png
      channels.png
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Uploaded:
      January 17, 2014
      Views:
    • channels2.png
      channels2.png
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Uploaded:
      January 17, 2014
      Views:
    Last edited: January 17, 2014

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!