Custom Data Grabber with Sky EPG Grabber for 1.16 onwards (1 Viewer)

T.J

Portal Member
August 2, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am having similar issues. The entire guide disappeared for about a week (posted up there ^). It then came back one night all of a sudden. Has been fine, but then last night it's gone again.

Question though - how are you manually running it to see progress? I've always thought it was a background thing?

If you open the TV server setup programme, look under the plugins section and then select the grabber there is a button on the first tab that says "grab now" - this will do a manual update of the channels, logos and epg and whilst its doing it any channel changes etc are also shown.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Brownard

Thanks for doing and more so converting the plugins to C#! I'm in the process of making your code work for New Zealand but I've hit a problem with the channel numbers in the code. I'm not sure if SkyNZ has changed something, but the original plugins' do not appear to scan the LCNs now as they used to and wondered whether as part of your code conversion you looked at the actual descriptors etc. that DJBlu used? EPGCollector does LCNs fine so its code appears to work but the early go at yours doesn't, although it does collect fine.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    wondered whether as part of your code conversion you looked at the actual descriptors etc. that DJBlu used?
    No I didn't, I don't have much [any] knowledge of the underlying structure of the data, I did most of the conversion blind by just looking at the VB.net code and converting it :whistle:

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heh I know your pain, I had to rebuild the code from the earlier sources to get the NZ one. I think the new structure is more effective in terms of splitting functions out, and it might be easier to use the descriptors from than counting from a fixed length that it appears to... I'm just trying to work out why the channel numbers won't show, apart from 2 of them... the rest all default to the 10000 that the code instructs if it can't extract the channel numbers.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm in a bit of a quandry. I'm going going to do a complete re-install of the TV server on my server, and the same for all the clients (it has been needed for some time TBH o_O ) and I have used various versions of the EPG grabber since 2009 or 2010 and rely on it completely for the EPG.

Do I take this opportunity to moved over to MP 2, or stick with MP 1.16? Any thoughts or views from you knowledgable lot?

M.

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Afternoon,

Thanks for keeping this going @Brownard Any chance of a 1.17 release? (y)

I've noticed a bug in this version, with the Sky UK grabber on a clean install it's trying to use the Sky NZ details from 12519 instead of 11778.

The EPG grabber channel in the Radio Channels section is incorrect too.

Sky UK EPG Details are:
    Frequency: 11778000
    Polarisation: Vertical
    Symbol Rate: 27500
    Transport ID: 2004
    Service ID: 4152
    Network ID: 2
    PMT PID: 256
    Cheers!

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    I'm in a bit of a quandry. I'm going going to do a complete re-install of the TV server on my server, and the same for all the clients (it has been needed for some time TBH o_O ) and I have used various versions of the EPG grabber since 2009 or 2010 and rely on it completely for the EPG.

Do I take this opportunity to moved over to MP 2, or stick with MP 1.16? Any thoughts or views from you knowledgable lot?

M.
    AFAIK MP2 doesn't support Sky EPG. That's the only reason I'm still using MP1.

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    AFAIK MP2 doesn't support Sky EPG. That's the only reason I'm still using MP1.
    I'm exactly the same. It's not so much the automatic retuning of channels when they move, and although it's handy to have, I can manage the occasional manual retune if required, but it's the series link functionality I can't do without.

Now, it's entirely possibly to build that functionality into standard MePo as the standards are well defined and the same data is available via other EPG sources than Sky such as the Freesat EPG but since many of the devs seem to live in countries where it isn't available they just don't understand how it works and how superior it is to their usual alternative of text matching programme titles.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    as the standards are well defined
    Actually, the standards for Sky's EPG format are proprietary, closed and not generally available. People have had to reverse-engineer the content/details.

but since many of the devs seem to live in countries where it isn't available they just don't understand how it works and how superior it is to their usual alternative of text matching programme titles.
    Mmm, I can't speak for other devs, but I do understand exactly how it works and why it's attractive. From my perspective I suspect that you don't realise just how much effort is required to add support for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom