daily crashes since beta 1.1 (1 Viewer)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I don't have a multiple client/server setup, just one pc running MP with one click installation.
So it appears to happen when 'epg grabbing when idle' is on, with both single pc setup and client/server setup. Don't know if it is relevant though :confused:

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It definitely is a bug in the EPG grabbing that crashes MediaPortal Beta 1.1.
I§ve had no problems for a week now since I disabled 'epg grabbing when idle'. Yesterday I turned it on again and guess what...MP hangs the next morning when trying to view a tv channel! It couldn't be more obvious what causes this hanging of MP!

Here are my logs.
I hope the devs can solve it now. :)
We did our part, we made our pc's hang (Girlfriend this morning: what?!? is the tv not working... again??), provided logs and everything. Now it's up to the devs.

There are other issues with epg grabbing. When grabbing epg when idle is off, all other options that can be turned on there (always try to fill holes, grab epg when timeshifting, etc.) also don't function anymore!
I don't know what the 'grab epg when recording/timeshifting' function is supposed to do, but it doesn't work in this case. Could somebody explain what this is supposed to do.
Even manual epg grabbing in the tv server config doesn't work anymore! :mad: This last option should always work in my view so please fix it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Here are my logs.
    I hope the devs can solve it now. :)
    We did our part, we made our pc's hang (Girlfriend this morning: what?!? is the tv not working... again??), provided logs and everything. Now it's up to the devs.

Actually we would require to have a full Transport Stream dump than is containing the data that can be used to trigger the issue. Unfortunately logs are pretty useless in this case :( And providing such dump is a bit tricky as seems that the stream won't cause such hang always.

So, to provide the proper debugging data, please follow following instructions:

1) http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Debugging/TS-dumps
    2) let TV server to create the TS dump file (only by grabbing IDLE EPG)

...most likely you will end up in a file that is huge, but currently there is no better ideas how to fix this issue as none of devs are able to reproduce it.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Actually we would require to have a full Transport Stream dump than is containing the data that can be used to trigger the issue. Unfortunately logs are pretty useless in this case :( And providing such dump is a bit tricky as seems that the stream won't cause such hang always.
    It always happens after some idle time, no matter what channels I tune to afterwards.

So, to provide the proper debugging data, please follow following instructions:

1) Debugging/TS-dumps - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
    2) let TV server to create the TS dump file (only by grabbing IDLE EPG)

...most likely you will end up in a file that is huge, but currently there is no better ideas how to fix this issue as none of devs are able to reproduce it.

This doesn't happen when tuning to a channel, it happens when I don't watch tv for about 10 minutes, epg grabbing starts because I set it to grab when idle, after that ALL channels hang. So how can I make a dump of a stream when they don't start. Anyway I also don't think it is the TS stream that is causing this problem, it's the grabbing of epg that is causing the hangup...or the process is not closed properly, whatever.
    But I don't know you're the experts :D

EDIT 2
    Here is the screenshot of the tv server crash

EDIT:
    Some extra info for when the epg idle grabbing hangs the whole thing:
    If I try to restart tv service in tv server config, I can stop it...but can't start it again...I can click the button, but nothing happens. Now, when I close and reopen tv server config again, it asks if I want to start the tv service because it is not running. If I say Yes, the tv server config crashes with a info screen about errors and stuff. I'll post a screenshot if that is usefull when I have the time to let it crash and test a bit.

Attachments

• tvservicehangup.JPG
      tvservicehangup.JPG
      57.6 KB

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    kkendall, can you please test the attached tswriter build?

it contains these changes:
    • EPG and MHW grabber are enabling CRC32 checks
    • you will find "CRC failed" in TsWriter.log, if the checksum of a TS packet is invalid
    • TsWriter.log contains a timestamp in name (don't care about, but remember when posting logfiles)

I've running this version an used idle grabber the whole time. It loaded 23000 EPG entries to programs and I still can tune channels.

Please post your results :D

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    kkendall, can you please test the attached tswriter build?

it contains these changes:
    • EPG and MHW grabber are enabling CRC32 checks
    • you will find "CRC failed" in TsWriter.log, if the checksum of a TS packet is invalid
    • TsWriter.log contains a timestamp in name (don't care about, but remember when posting logfiles)

I've running this version an used idle grabber the whole time. It loaded 23000 EPG entries to programs and I still can tune channels.

Please post your results :D

:D
    Allright, I do that right away today when I get home!
    The weird this also is that I never noticed it before so consistently. I remember some version gave me a freezed-up MP the next morning (I don't know if this is related), but I thought that was a couple of versions ago.
    This part of MP was running smootly for some time, until the last Beta. Did something change in the code for that part of MP?

Can I just copy this file over the existing tswriter?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yes, just replace the tswriter.
    no, code in this part hasn't changed a long time

:D for testing

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yes, just replace the tswriter.
    no, code in this part hasn't changed a long time

:D for testing

Aparantly it has :mad:
    I closed tvservice, copied your tswriter.ax over my tswriter.ax, turned on the option for idle epg grabbing...and now MP won´t start anymore!:confused:
    It crashes on startup, when loading the first screen.
    I can´t get into TVserver config ...it starts up, but thats it... because the service won´t start. So I can´t turn idle grabbing off eiher! Your file apparently killed my startup of Mp and of tvservice.
    I´ve been stupid enough to copy it over my file instead ofbacking up first! Please help me out here with a working tswriter.ax for latest Beta! Anyone...please post your tswriter.ax, so I can use MP again...I´m pretty desperate here...:oops:

Here are some logs
    Most important thing for me now is getting the correct tswriter.ax back though.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    here's the one of latest public svn (based on 1.1 beta)

my tswriter is (of course) based on the latest svn. sorry if it causes issues for you

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    here's the one of latest public svn (based on 1.1 beta)

my tswriter is (of course) based on the latest svn. sorry if it causes issues for you

I replaced tswriter.ax with your svn version, and still the same... :(
    See the printscreen when trying to start tvservice config.
    Do you or somebody else have the original tswriter.ax for me, so of BETA 1.1

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      59.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom