Database: Refactor MP1 database for multi seat usage (2 Viewers)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So again my specs: Windows 11 InsiderPreview 22557 64 Bit, MP 1.30 PreRelease, all files are in the correct folders.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is it in 1st post or did you a PM?
    Sorry. I should have said. Yes, I updated the first post with the zip file MediaPortalRefactor1.29.014.zip.

I hadn't anticipated these issues with the BAT file. Maybe I should develop an installation application for the refactored version:sneaky:?

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Well, I´m on 1.30 PreRelease, but files and locations are the same - should work?
    No. This release is specific to the version number. I have to create a new release for each version (because all of the DLLs in a release are associated with the specific MP release number).

I would have to create a completely new release for 1.30 and I don't think that is practicable, because it is still in beta. I'll create a version for 1.30 when the final version is released (or that's what I've been doing since 1.28).

To get over the hurdle CyberSimian is having, I think it will be important for someone to install 1.29 on a machine with a standard configuration and then run the upgrade to the refactored version and test that to see whether that works and to then trry to identify why CyberSimian's configuration doesn't seem to work.

As I said earlier, I have performed this process on several machines; 32 bit, 64 bit, Windows 7 and Windows 10. I haven't had any issues using exactly the same BAT file as I posted in the first posting in this thread.

My guess is that, if and when we find out why CyberSimian's config is failing we'll all go "Well, that was obvious" ;) .

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Yup, I think a simple MPEI would do ;)
    I am not familiar with using MPEIs. The idea was to do a quick check that the refactored app was doing things properly. It will take time for me to develop a set-up app but I guess it will be useful to do that.

I'll get back to you all when I've done that.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Just on another point. The refactored version was developed to enable multi-user client databases to be viable. One failing in the current refactored release is that the system doesn't know which client machine initiated a database update. To fix this, I propose to add an extra parameter in the config file called "client" where the client name can be specified (alongside "version"). I think this would be a simpler way to handle this issue than to have user logons (as MP2 allows).

I want the code to be able to feed back to each other client when data has been changed by another client. Obviously, this would require validation to be performed when MP opens to ensure that the client name is unique for the system.

If anyone has a better way of achieving this, please let me know.

I could create a separate database that stores client information. I think this approach would be more reliable than using the config files but would be slightly more work. I've used this approach for another system so could borrow that code to use here.

Any ideas welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom