Default refresh rate not applied when switching directly to different media? (4 Viewers)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.3.0

Description
    Hi. Not sure if this is a bug or not but.. in MePo config in the refresh rate changer section, I have a default rate set for HDTV (50hz).
    This is applied correctly when stopping media, but if you play a 24hz movie for example the rate is auto detected and the refresh rate changed ok to 24hz. But if I then navigate to the TV guide and launch a TV channel (without first stopping the movie playback) the refresh rate remains at 24hz and doesn't drop back to the default before commencing the TV stream playback.
    Maybe this is by design.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Launch playback of 24hz media file then start playback of a PALHD 50hz tv stream without manually stopping the movie play back (rate does not drop back to default)

Attachments

• refresh.png
      refresh.png
      62.2 KB
    Last edited by a moderator:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hmm there may actually be something funky happening with the MePo config tool actually..

If I open MePo configuration.exe tool, navigate to the dynamic refresh rate screen and set for example 'PALHD' as the default rate. Click OK to exit the configuration tool, but then start the config tool back up again, the default rate is now set to 'TV'. Maybe it simply isn't remembering my selection on exit or not reading the current setting correctly when opening.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep that look strange but i think because TV is 50 and PALHD is 50 too it will do the same for PAL :)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Steps to Reproduce:
    Launch playback of 24hz media file then start playback of a PALHD 50hz tv stream without manually stopping the movie play back (rate does not drop back to default)
    Not a bug, i'll try to explain.
    First, you're using RTSP for LiveTV, and RTSP can't detect the framerate of the file, so refresh rate isn't working on that (which is documented in our Wiki as a Known Issue and in the DRR Wiki)
    What you could do to fix this, is set a default refresh rate @ 50Hz.
    You can test this by doing it the other way around: first make sure your TV/screen is set to 50Hz and enable the refresh rate popup, then start LiveTV. That should work just fine. Then navigate to a Serie or Movie with a different framerate (23.976 for example) and start that when LiveTV is running. LiveTV will stop, screen goes black for a second or 2 (DRR) and you'll get the popup that monitor is set to 23Hz.

About the 'TV' selection for DRR: It doesn't matter if you use TV, PAL or PALHD, since all 3 use the same monitor refresh rate of 50Hz. Why the default selection falls back to 'TV'... probably has something to do with the way this part is coded.

Setting this to 'No Bug'.

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Homey, I don't understand.. this is why I made the bug thread? I know RTSP doesn't work for DRR hence why I set a default value of 50hz in DRR and attempted to do exactly what you have just suggested. My point is if I try to switch from a 24hz movie to a livestream, MePo leaves it at 24hz instead of shifting it back to 50 between the auto detected 24hz movie, and the stream it obviously can't detect from. End result is I have 50hz TV playing at 24hz even though I have a default rate of 50hz set?

I would expect this series of events to take place..

1) MePo starts (uses default 50hz DRR setting which we have set with the combobox)
    2) Movie is selected for playback by the user (from inside moving pictures for example)
    3) DRR auto detects 24hz and changes the refresh rate accordingly
    4) TVStream is selected for playback by the user whilst movie is still playing in the background
    5) MePo ends the movie playback
    6) DRR returns the framerate back to our default setting of 50hz
    7) MePo begins TVstream playback
    8) DDR can't detect framerate of the stream so the rate is unchanged at 50hz.. (which is fine because it should be 50 anyway hence this being out default setting)

Except what I see is step 6 does not happen.

EDIT: I'm confused.. :/ I'm quite sure I have setup MePo how you suggest (because I did it after reading the wiki) and I said this in the original post. I don't think I'm understanding your explanation correctly. If we have a DRR 'DEFAULT' value which can be user set.. why doesn't DRR apply this default on every stream it can not detect?

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hmm there may actually be something funky happening with the MePo config tool actually..

If I open MePo configuration.exe tool, navigate to the dynamic refresh rate screen and set for example 'PALHD' as the default rate. Click OK to exit the configuration tool, but then start the config tool back up again, the default rate is now set to 'TV'. Maybe it simply isn't remembering my selection on exit or not reading the current setting correctly when opening.

Can you try attached bin based on 1.3.0Final ? :)
    Now the name will be filled correctly with hz, before the check was only done on Hz (It's works but confusing :p)

Attachments

• DRR_Default_Setting_Configuration.zip
      1.2 MB

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Sebastiii that corrects the selection in the configuration :) thanks.

Do you understand what I am trying to explain in my previous post or am I doing a bad job of explaining?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Sure :)
    Default DRR should be done between end and start of Live TV :) we talk about it (in live) with @HomeY.
    So it's a bug, we need to investigate why it failed and like @Scythe42 will look for other thing related to DRR maybe he has an idea, in between i will try to see what happen and reproduce the issue first :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Ok cool :) but be aware this is my first client and its a new TV so it could very well be something I am doing stupid (I do stupid things alot ha).

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom