[DIY] AtmoOrb - A Hue like mood lamp based on Particle Photon with NeoPixel - *Tutorial added* (2 Viewers)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the led tip, so it looks you have to include the namespace for it to work :)
    Will add to the sketch as an optional feature.

Last edited:

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have noticed another thing: As soon as hyperion is started with AtmobOrb set as device, all LEDs on all my switches are blinking like crazy even though the AtmoOrb should be (and is) off. Wouldn't it be better if the data is only transmitted when the orb has to display an actual color? I haven't noticed any problems like the network being slower or so, but I think this behaviour is a little strange.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That is something Hyperion does sadly where we have no control over (write command gets called 24/7) , can implement something that if the color is the same it skips it in the next Hyperion update though :)
    The multicast commands are so small that it shouldn't interfere with the network, some routers / APs might have something called multicast buffering and is best to disable it as it slows the Orbs down.

The way it works with multicast groups is that only members in the same (IP) group respond / accept these incoming messages, however some older or non-compliant devices might accept it anyway as they lack a proper filter.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just pushed new sketch update which rolls back a few changes as some are causing problems with the latest Hyperion build, not 100% sure why yet but with this sketch it works perfectly fine with both old and new.

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have switched to OSMC today and I am really satisfied with the result. I got the orb working automatically after startup. I made a copy of the /etc/systemd/system/hyperion.service and enabled my hyperion2.service according to the OSMC install wiki article.
    Then suddenly the orb wasn't working anymore after reboot. The service was started, however (verified using sudo service hyperion2 status), but the orb stayed dark. After a service restart it worked fine. Then I read your message about the new AtmoOrb sketch and flashed it. I don't know if it is related to that or some other stuff I did (tried getting mopidy running, but failed :D), but now the orb is working after restart!

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OSMC might not be best choice if you want use different led types, their support is lacking and has issues with some led types (old / incorrect drivers) with no solution yet.
    Raspbian is most likely gonna be the best choice for the long run as its commonly used by the developers as well :)

Then I read your message about the new AtmoOrb sketch and flashed it. I don't know if it is related to that or some other stuff I did (tried getting mopidy running, but failed :D), but now the orb is working after restart!

Have had those random freeze ups only they lasted a few seconds but only on full black or when Mediaportals screensaver kicks in just not always (no clue why), compared the old and new sketch and it should have worked before but for the time being gonna keep the current sketch and tweak it a little after more testing.
    At least with the current sketch everything will run smoothly :) , when the new Hyperion build is out of beta (expect it in 1 week or so) you will also get the option to use different smoothing options (Orb or that of Hyperion):

https://github.com/tvdzwan/hyperion/wiki/AtmoOrb-device

Would stick with the default Hyperions own smoothing but more choice is always better.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sketch was updated and running stable with some code cleanup and corrections so that is the recommended one to use now :)

I have noticed another thing: As soon as hyperion is started with AtmobOrb set as device, all LEDs on all my switches are blinking like crazy even though the AtmoOrb should be (and is) off. Wouldn't it be better if the data is only transmitted when the orb has to display an actual color? I haven't noticed any problems like the network being slower or so, but I think this behaviour is a little strange.

Just added some new checks and tested here which will prevent sending same color commands, once approved that will be included in the next Hyperion release:

https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion/pull/602

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For the Orb setup with Hyperion it's best to use set the OrbSmoothing to true for now, debugging the current version as I noticed something strange with the latest change in combination with linear smoothing (didn't happen in beta weirdly enough).

// Update

Updated the default config for AtmoOrb in the wiki here:

https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/AtmoOrb-Device

Found the cause and it's working as expecting because it now sets the command type correctly and Orb smoothing behaves a bit faster now due to it using the color differences and skipping over identical colors :)
    HyperCon was also updated today to reflect the new default setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom