Do we really need Packed Textures? (1 Viewer)

Swede

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
West Coast Archipelago
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Great! If RTV sees this, he can probably add Thumb_Mask.png to the cached files, as he did the volume.
You can use this until then:

Attachments

• Packed reflection.zip
    30.6 KB

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Man you're a legend! :D

I've just put the patch to the test and it's perfect! :D Before applying the patch the BleazleWide cache was 19.7MB and B3W was 16.78MB. After applying the patch to both BleazleWide and B3W the cache sizes are now 1.49MB and 4.38MB respectively! :D My system is lightning fast and everything that is supposed to is reflecting perfectly!! I'm over the moon!! :D :D :D :D

I was going to restrict the number of fading hover images I used to just those shown in the Home screen on my system but now I can have them all fading without my system stuttering :D YEAH!

Thanks again!

Bleazle

NOTE: Just in case anyone is wondering why the BleazleWide skin cache is less than B3W's (since the "backbone" of BleazleWide is B3W) it's because b3W uses around 12 different font settings but I have reduced that to 4 settings for the next version of BleazleWide.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Sooo... Do we REALLY need packed textures? I hope MPII is made without them.

OK, I'm qualified to answer this now that I've been giving my system a thrashing for a couple of days - the answer is "NO! we don't need them" My system has never run better :) Also, from a skinning point of view having this fix in place means I don't have to delete the cache EVERYTIME I make a change to an image - what a time saver!!!! :D

Easy peasy, just remove everything you don't want cached, and start MP and the files are created.

Is that it? I thought something had to be done with the BXML file too. If I'd known it was that easy I wouldn't have bothered you with the above :oops: :D

I'm going to include the above fix with the next release of BleazleWide - I thinks it's priceless (well it saved from having to go out and buy a new graphics card anyway :D )

Cheers

Bleazle

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sooo... Do we REALLY need packed textures? I hope MPII is made without them.

OK, I'm qualified to answer this now that I've been giving my system a thrashing for a couple of days - the answer is "NO! we don't need them" My system has never run better :)
    Stop the muppet show please. Of course we need them. Speaking of a "Fix" is pure non-sense. Disabling the caching WILL lead to many issues. The most severe will be MP crashing without any notice leaving a log line like this:
    2009-04-17 17:36:02.149564 [Info.][MPMain]: render exception:confused:ystem.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication
    that other memory is corrupt.
    in CachedTexture.FontEngineDrawTexture. Go Figure.

Easy peasy, just remove everything you don't want cached, and start MP and the files are created.

Is that it? I thought something had to be done with the BXML file too. If I'd known it was that easy I wouldn't have bothered you with the above :oops: :D
    Of course. Not changing the BXML will just cause the deserialization to fail and therefore crash MP.

@Swede:
    We don't appreciate ugly hacks like this. In a last attempt to make MP useable on unsupported devices (JUST for testing or skinning puposes) I've added an exclusion for the Thumb_Mask and all files starting with "cached*.png"

Please stop submitting "Fixes" to the download repository - they would just target those people who do not understand the background of this. I hope you understand.

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    OK then, feel free to remove it. I will not submit it again. I'll just have to use it for myself ...all alone...

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ....Stop the muppet show please. Of course we need them. Speaking of a "Fix" is pure non-sense. Disabling the caching WILL lead to many issues. The most severe will be MP crashing ...

:eek: WOW! Sounds like someone was having a bad day at the office! I hear what you're saying with regard to log files not being complete if this fix (or hack, whatever you want to call it) is being used but I with regard to MP crashing, this hasn't happened in my case but all systems are different so I might just be lucky. If MP start to crash I'll remove the fix and see if the problem is solved, just like I do when I suspect a plugin to be causing problems.

...Not changing the BXML will just cause the deserialization to fail and therefore crash......I've added an exclusion for the Thumb_Mask and all files starting with "cached*.png"....

This is above my head. What has this exclusion been added to? An SVN? How is it implemented by the end user? And what exactly will it do? The same as Swedes fix but in a different way? If you could give a bit more info for those of us that need it that would be great, thanks.

OK then, feel free to remove it. I will not submit it again. I'll just have to use it for myself ...all alone...

All alone? I doubt it...............

Bleazle

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom