Do we really need Packed Textures? (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
regardless of any theorie about it working, problems or if its needed.
I am only making an observation here;
I tried it, and to me the GUI really feels a lot snappier. I am trying this modification now for 3 weeks, and I havent run into any problems (yet).
i.e. The time it takes to go from deep inside the 'my trailers' plugin to the home screen is a lot less. Smoother transitions with StreamedMP as well. From my perspective, as a noob user, it feels like an improvement.

I am not into the deep technical stuff, but is it possible to put the cash in the RAM memory instead of the GFX card memory?

I think the point in this thread is that it reveales there 'might' be a thing here and there to gain regarding speed/smoothness of GUI.

Swede

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
West Coast Archipelago
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
...And you have a 512MB GPU!!! It is for people like you they have implemented packed gfx. I really wish they also could see what you see.

I think MP is heavier than what is needed. I can understand that fast videogames could need it, but MP? Does MCE have it?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ...And you have a 512MB GPU!!! It is for people like you they have implemented packed gfx. I really wish they also could see what you see.

Wrong, you still haven't understood why the packed graphics have implemented. When it was implemented we did barely have 64MB GPUs (of course skins were much less memory hungly, blame skinners on that :)).

I think MP is heavier than what is needed. I can understand that fast videogames could need it, but MP? Does MCE have it?

Wrong again, the main purpose to have packed graphics is to REDUCE the GPU workload (of course this requires you to have sufficient amount of GPU memory to be available as swapping bigger textures between main RAM and GPU memory is much harder task than swapping the smaller textures).

I really would hope that all who are talking about the issue as telling whats wrong would read those documents I provided few months ago. Its not worth to argue with people who doesn't seem to have technical background to discuss with implementation details.

What comes to edterbak's results / observations they are really odd, as packed textures aren't making anything slower when you have HUGE amount of GPU memory available, unless you are using skins of something else that require 1GB memory (which I doubt). Maybe you have place fan art into wrong folder and that is filling up the GPU memory?

edit: I remember some users telling that Moving Pictures / My TV Series plugins are behaving badly and storing their fan art into wrong folder (so that those are used to build the packed textures).

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well, yes, but something must be wrong, when you still can use a 64MB GPU AND Moving Pictures AND the most hungry skin, IF you DON'T use packed gfx.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Eh..... "MediaPortal Forum » MediaPortal 1 » Help on Development » Blue3 Skin Feedback" :-S

[Moved]

(EDIT: And keep it nice :))

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What comes to edterbak's results / observations they are really odd, as packed textures aren't making anything slower when you have HUGE amount of GPU memory available, unless you are using skins of something else that require 1GB memory (which I doubt). Maybe you have place fan art into wrong folder and that is filling up the GPU memory?
    It all is and sounds odd. The theory tells us (well... you. because I dont understand one bit of it.) the packed textures should improve the situation in any case. But for some reason its not visible. Let us not forget that there could also be a bug of some kind hidden in this area that could cause all this trouble. (if I may call it trouble)

Is there a way we can show / quantify that there is a performance issue here? Objectively I mean... Because feelings are very very susceptible for the placebo effect. And talking about subjective feelings or experiences tend to provoke emotional responses as well.

For information purposes:
    I use the StreamedMP skin with Moving Pictures/My TV series/My trailers. But I have not done anything about the fanart, except the standard present art of the skin.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    edit: I remember some users telling that Moving Pictures / My TV Series plugins are behaving badly and storing their fan art into wrong folder (so that those are used to build the packed textures).

some time ago i had real trouble with textures being created at mp start. basically all fanart folder was being converted into packed textures.

tvseries stores fanart in thumbs folder, i just had to remove the fan art folder and problem solved (although i lost fan art function, but thats not important for me)

so yeah maybe is tvseries fault for not placing things where it should.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    If you want fanart, you can use the ugly hack :)

C'mon, correct way to fix such issue is to ask plugin developers to fix their broken code.

indeed, maybe 1.1.0 is a good objective.

yes i tried the ugly hack, forgot about that, it definately works, but as i have thumbs folder in server it made tvseries work a little bit slow, so i removed fan art completely (its cool, but not worth the trouble)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom