Does MePo2 support 4k & HDR content? (1 Viewer)

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sipmle question: When I have a 4k HDR file, will MePo gives a 4k HDR output to my TV (grafic Card is a AMD RX460)?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Depends on the file type and the capabilities of your graphics card. If the 4k HDR file uses the "normal" h265 codec it should be played pretty well, If your HDR video needs special codecs not covered by the Windows Direct Show then it most likely will not play correctly or fails completely. As far as I know there is a special codec (Luna HDRv) available for HDR video. Maybe you need to install this codec before you can play HDR videos compressed with Luna, But as long as I don't have complete media infos about that video I only can guess...
    Easiest is to simply import it into the MP2 ML and then start playing it.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    sorry, its just a german website
    No problem, I can read German better than English;)
    As I don't have a 4k TV I'm not the right person to test this. But you can test it yourself. Try to download some of the samples and start playing them. Then you will see quickly what is working and what don't play.

Is 59.94 frames and 10bit a problem?
    Not really. 10 bit can be an issue and will probably "downscaled" to 8 Bit but this depends on the gfx card, the TV and the HDMI connection...

Can MePo1 also deal with it?
    I don't know as I don't use MP1 since years. But I can imagine it can do the same as MP2 here because MP1 and MP2 are using similar if not identical "video player"...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I made a test yesterday, as I was curious about results.

I took one of the 4k 10bit sample clips, played it back by Windows 10's default video player. The colours were very(!) saturated, picture was sharp in general, but stuttering.

Then I tried VLC: picture colours where much less saturated ("greyed"), decoding showed much artifacts, stuttering.
    Next was DirectShow based playback in MP2, graphedit using LAV decoders. Playback was smooth, but colour was also like in VLC.

The Lentoid HEVC decoder only outputted a black screen.

My source was http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples -> http://hdrsamples.com/exodus-4k-uhd-hdr-sample-footage/.

So the Windows 10 playback was the best in terms of colour and sharpness.

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm...it seems for me like your AMD Radeon HD 6450 does not support 4k@60hz, right?
    Do the card and your TV support 10bit?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm...it seems for me like your AMD Radeon HD 6450 does not support 4k@60hz, right?
    Yep, they don't support 4k (HTPC)

My tests where done on my DevPC with Intel Skylake i7 CPU and integrated HD530 chipset using a standard computer monitor.

Best for you would be to try the listed things above yourself. Please also post your results...

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I recognized that I did my old 4k tests with H.264 material.

Within the next days i will test:
    4k H.265, 10bit via AMD7750 to a 1080P Screen (connected via HDMI)
    4k H.265, 10bit via AMD RX460 to a 1080P Screen (connected via HDMI)

Perhaps:
    4k H.265, 10bit via AMD7750 to a 4k 10bit monitor (connected via DisplayPort)

When the RX460 isn't too loud for me I will test in October:
    4k H.265, 10bit via AMD RX460 to a KD-65XD9305 (4k, 10bit, connected via HDMI)

I will do all tests first with MePo 1.15 (do you know if MePo 1 supports 4k?).
    Perhaps later with MePo 2.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Out of interest, does your TV/screen have HDMI 2.0? I believe that HDMI 1.4 only supports 4k@30fps, it wasnt until 2.0 was introduced that the higher framerate was supported.

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sooo....here are some updates!

I've made all tests as well with my 1080p TV as with my LG Monitor (4k,10bit via Displayport -> Full 4K Support).

Tests with AMD7750:
    Simple, no H.265 hardware decoding, and a i5 can't handle 4k via CPU.

With a AMD RX460 (by the way Gigabyte has a nice and quiet one):
    MePo1:
    You just have to make shure that you have set LAV to DXVA2 native (for the 7750 I needed copy-back mode // if you use copy-back with the RX460 there will be no hardware decoding), as well as UHD and H.265 support.
    That works for 4k 8bit files.
    If you try to use 4k 10bit, you get a codec error (see attached log-files).
    if you switch to DXVA2 copy-back, you can play them, but without hardware acceleration.
    Any idear?
    Again, I've testet also with a 4k 10bit Monitor (set as 10bit at AMD settings).

MePo2 (also some log-files attached):
    4k, 8bit: I can't bring hardware acceleration to work. Does MePo2 use the same LAV settings as MePo1?
    4k, 10bit: Also no hardware acceleration, but also a the whole picture is shattered and green ;(

Also I attached a log-file from a strange complete MePo1 crash with a 4k H.264 file.

For me: For now I want to stay with MePo1, because of some plugins, so please help me to get this running.
    But on the other hand I will do testings for you with MePo2, so lets make both work!

A Sony KD-65XD9305 (HDMI2.0, 4K, 10bit, HDR) will be available for testing in the middle of October.

Thank you all,
    Felix
    --- Post updated ---
    Sorry, I forgot the log ;)

Attachments

• crash.zip
      1,016.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread